What are you allowed to do?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xU_vcb3kso[/YOUTUBE]

Narcan is friggen sweet!

Ah, that is one of my favorite scene of that movie :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just a word of advice, "consciousness" is not a good end point goal of Narcan administration.

As Linuss and jt noted, Texas is an incredibly odd state regarding scope. Due to the delegated practice act, if a medical director want his ECAs (equivilent to a FR) doing open thoracotomies and cardiac massage, he's allowed to as long as he "adaquately trains" them. (Cant you see that CE. "After making the first inscion, you place the rib spreaders..."

Ohio was the same way until they went with state wide protocols.

The old way was better.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xU_vcb3kso[/YOUTUBE]

Narcan is friggen sweet!

My dad did that once in a church with an unconscious diabetic. Hand on the forehead, he said, "LORD, I ask you to HEAL this woman!" right about the time his partner had finished pushing the D50.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
I agree to titrate narcan as well. I have no desire to "raise I B Bangin'."

I understand narcan lowers the seizure threshold. That is really not fricken' sweet.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ohio was the same way until they went with state wide protocols.

The old way was better.

And really, that is how every state should be. There should be a nation wide minimum which consists of the currently accepted standard of care, than the individual MC can choose to go above, but not below, the floor.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
And really, that is how every state should be. There should be a nation wide minimum which consists of the currently accepted standard of care, than the individual MC can choose to go above, but not below, the floor.

WA is that way to a certain extent. But we are rapidly falling away from that. :-(

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Must we get into this argument again?

Brown feels bad chipping in coz it makes the rest of you look like crap

Paramedic
Oxygen, OPA/NPA/LMA, methoxyflurane, entonox, semiautomatic and manual defibrilation, sync cardioversion, 3 and 12 lead ECG interpretation, IV cannulation incl EJ, aspirin, GTN, salbutamol, glucagon and oral glucose, IV glucose, adrenaline, naloxone, ondansetron, morphine

Intensive Care Paramedic
All of the above plus intubation, cricothyrotomy, pacingl, atropine, amiodarone, midazolam, ketamine, frusemide, rapid sequence intubation.

Frusemide is probably being withdrawn next year and thrombolysis is either here or being added depending on where you are. Ceftriaxone, corticosteriods and clopridogel is also also here for some areas as well.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I regularly do neurosurgey and acupuncture in the ambulance.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Paramedic
Oxygen, OPA/NPA/LMA, methoxyflurane, entonox, semiautomatic and manual defibrilation, sync cardioversion, 3 and 12 lead ECG interpretation, IV cannulation incl EJ, aspirin, GTN, salbutamol, glucagon and oral glucose, IV glucose, adrenaline, naloxone, ondansetron, morphine

Intensive Care Paramedic
All of the above plus intubation, cricothyrotomy, pacingl, atropine, amiodarone, midazolam, ketamine, frusemide, rapid sequence intubation.

Really? Make us look like crap because of a few skills? Aren't you one to claim "skills mean nothing"?

If I wanted to, I could write out every skill and drug that is the norm at my agency, and it would trump your list.

So do you REALLY want to compare skills? Hell, I'll win right now and state that if my doc wants me to do open heart surgery or an emergency in-field caesarean, I can legally. (Ethically is another question completely)

(Smiley face to show friendliness :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry mate, Brown forget to mention it takes four years to become a Paramedic here and six or seven to become an Intensive Care Paramedic.

No disrespect intended.

jrm818

Forum Captain

Paramedic
Frusemide is probably being withdrawn next year and thrombolysis is either here or being added depending on where you are. Ceftriaxone, corticosteriods and clopridogel is also also here for some areas as well.

That last one surprises me. How are you deciding which patients are candidates for plavix?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That last one surprises me. How are you deciding which patients are candidates for plavix?

Patient is part of modern society?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

Paramedic

EMT
Oxygen, OPA/NPA/BIAD, automatic defibrillation, 3 and 12 lead application, aspirin, GTN, albuterol, oral glucose, adrenaline, naloxone, any OTC meds our MC lets us play with (Tylenol, Benadryl, Tums, etc), and I cant forget, band-aids.