What are the costs associated with starting a nonprofit EMS first response service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
In Tennessee, there are rural counties with a very small ambulance service with no first responders. In the event that all ambulances are unavailable, patients are left waiting a long time for a unit to become available.

In one county, the ambulance service is struggling and the county refuses to do anything about it.

What if I (and a couple of buddies) were to start a non-transporting first responder service that is nonprofit with revenue based on donations?

Maybe have 2 or 3 dodge chargers equipped with BLS emergency equipment?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
What if I (and a couple of buddies) were to start a non-transporting first responder service that is nonprofit with revenue based on donations?
STOP! JUST STOP!

Starting and successfully running a non-profit is not an easy task.

Please stick to software development.

EKUEMT

Forum Probie
You have to keep in mind it's not only the cost of things but also the legalities and rights to practice within the state. Also would need a medical director and possibly someone who knows how to write grants so you could have some kind of funding. I absolutely love the idea but it would be very tricky and complicated to get started.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It is a VERY expensive and time consuming process.

I own a business that is licensed as a First Responder service, even though we are contracted to provide EMS to events and venues.

Expect to shell out thousands of dollars in vehicle cost, equipment cost, fuel, insurance, licensing, a lawyer, ongoing training... it all adds up very quickly. And just when you think you're good for a week... BAM! Another big expense you didn't see.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In Tennessee, there are rural counties with a very small ambulance service with no first responders. In the event that all ambulances are unavailable, patients are left waiting a long time for a unit to become available.
if they don't like the level of service, than maybe they shouldn't live in a rural area with a small ambulance service. You can't except city responses in the sticks, especially with a much smaller tax base. And why not first responders? no FD or PD to stop the clock before EMS arrives? odd, especially when they have extended ETAs
In one county, the ambulance service is struggling and the county refuses to do anything about it
sounds like the county is aware of the issue, and has decided on how they are going to handle it (by doing nothing). Not that I agree with it, but it's not like it's not a known issue.

other than the obvious "this is a bad idea, you shouldn't do it" lets see, you have the cost of 2 chargers (maybe $20,000 each for last years model), add in another 4 thousand for emergency warning devices, radios along can be between 1,000 and 2500, plus the equipment (lets say $150 for the bag and equipment, and another 2 grand for defib and suction. so we are at $50,000 in equipment alone.

and then add in fuel, insurance, licensing, a lawyer, medical direction and oversite, ongoing training, all of which you aren't billing for..... maybe another 15,000 (those lawyers are expensive). do you have $65,000 just laying around?

oh, and if you (and your buddies, lets say 4 total) are going to provide 24/7 service, so each of you will be responsible for more than one twenty four hour shift in a week, so what will happen when it conflicts with your career? And how are you going to get donations? you think people will just give you money because you ask?

Follow Chimpie's advise:
STOP! JUST STOP!

Starting and successfully running a non-profit is not an easy task.

Please stick to software development.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My state police charger tripled in price to put all the gear we needed (excluding firearms and back cage).
Here is exactly what NYSDOCCS/NYSP do (since its public info):
I drive an AWD 2t23 model, instead of state trooper it has NYSDOCCS Rep on it. the mods available to the public are listed below.
Vehicle Model Code (LDEE48), 5.7L V8 Hemi Engine (29A), 5 Speed Automatic Transmission (DGJ), Vehicle Color – Low Vol Midnight Blue Pearl Coat (PB8) , Interior Color/ Fabric- Black HD Cloth Bucket Seats w/ Vinyl Rear (X5X9), 245/55R18 BSW Performance Tires (TYL), Goodyear Brand (TZA), Black Left Spot Lamp (LNF) , LED Spot Lamps (LNX), Matching Right Spot Lamp (LNA), Base Engine Controller (NZE), Convenience Group I (AHM), Deactivate Rear Doors/ Windows (CW6), Driver Side Ballistic Door Panel (XDV), Passenger Side Ballistic Door Panel (XDG), Fleet Park Assist Group (AMV), Full Spare Tire Relocation Bracket (TBH), Police Floor Console (CUG) , Power Heated Mirrors w/ Manual Fold Away (GUK)
~~~Additional Specifications Ship Thru Kerr Industries Limited- Oshawa, ON, Canada facility (option package KDS-NYSP16).
The only thing you wouldn't need would be the spot lights. Not to mention vehicle insurance for what your trying to do will be absolutely absurd(especially if you have any male between 18-25* i think maybe 26 driving). I vote for @Chimpie. Software engineer.

Just so you know the "additional specifications" means allllll of the safety luxuries to keep yourself and employees safer. FcausFleet is the company that modifies most emergency response vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.