What are some things that you have been taught that is total BS?

Hal9000

Forum Captain
That's what I figured you were getting at, but we have a lot of really stupid EMTs and medics on here who would think that just 50 highway miles is justification enough. Therefore, I decided to inquire further.

Oh, I can imagine that. 50 highway miles in MT takes less time than in more populated states, so I'd have even less reason.

There are a couple of services in Montana that have launch criteria designed merely to increase revenue, but they're seen as heroic by most. Bemusing...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
There are a couple of services in Montana that have launch criteria designed merely to increase revenue, but they're seen as heroic by most. Bemusing...

This from the state that lost a medical helicopter because the crew thought it would be fun to chase mountain goats while returning to base.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The lack of education amongst "advanced" providers here really throws me off. I was recently interacting with an ALS crew that hadn't even heard of CCR, and this happened to be with one of the services that transports dead people. I suppose I'd not be inclined to rant, but when an ALS provider with zero collegiate medical knowledge tries to "educate" me on medicine, I become somewhat perturbed.

Don't let it bug you, happens to me all the time.

If you really want to know how worthless and unnecessary education really is, just ask somebody who doesn't have one.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Tell the guys over at elightbars.org these are lies :D.

Holy carp!

holy_carp.jpg

That is some weapons-grade whackerism right there!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
The thing is I'm not a **** by nature, my post seemed to come off like that, but this firefighter made it confrontational, he took the focus off the patients in front of bystanders and the police it was unprofessional.

I admit when I was younger I flew some patients that probably didn't warrant it, I didn't understand, and I didn't want to make waves. Today I'm a more informed provider and I'm not afraid to ruffle a few feathers if thats what needs to happen. Sometimes it comes off like I'm an *** but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Holy carp!

That is some weapons-grade whackerism right there!

So, I clicked through to see what that site was about. The person who is the admin there has the same name as someone I went to high school with. And it says his location is where we grew up. I looked at the picture.

Yup. Same dude. He, ah, hasn't changed apparently. :ph34r:

Hal9000

Forum Captain
This from the state that lost a medical helicopter because the crew thought it would be fun to chase mountain goats while returning to base.

I knew about the powerline incident at a demonstration for a school, and the patient and paramedic hitting a tree during a haul operation (for which there was no legit training nor cert to perform), but I'd not heard of the one you mention.

Sounds par for the course, though. One scene had HEMS assistance (I advised against), and two of three outfits apparently turned it down. The third didn't, landing in the mountains in SHSN low viz with variable gusts. It was atrocious weather. I asked why in the world they accepted, and the flight medic said proudly, "Our pilot was in Vietnam, he's not afraid of of the weather." That was some years ago now, but I doubt it's much better. They were always willing to hire whatever Tom, ****, or Harry showed up at the door.

I took a critical transfer once for an trauma patient (helicopter came up at hospital request only to get trapped by inclement conditions, again), and the flight crew couldn't work their own vent, amidst other *ahem* "idiosyncrasies." I'd describe more, but this one is unfortunately rather fresh, and it's probably going to truoc—releases have already been filed. I sure as heck wish that I hadn't been the helping provider on that one, and that the crew had been competent. Mostly, I wish that they'd never showed at all, because now I'm associated with a mess that's not my of doing. On the other hand, I started documenting everything a while ago, right around the time that I realized that medical provider doesn't necessarily mean "competent professional," so I'm personally covered.

Still smarts.

Don't let it bug you, happens to me all the time.

If you really want to know how worthless and unnecessary education really is, just ask somebody who doesn't have one.

That's the truth, and it's also true that there aren't any walks in life where one can avoid such people. However, it seems to be fairly common in this job—and job, I believe, is the right term for most of my associates, as opposed to "career." But I don't want to sound like some obnoxious fool out to harsh on all the hominids, and I've met some of the best people in EMS.

Returning to the topic of learning, I was lucky enough to have a CRNA as a coworker, who worked with a service PT, mainly out of a curiosity. The overall outlook he had on medicine clearly differentiated him from those who remain in a skills-based arena. I have a great respect for that nursing specialty, and I'd label it as being more than I have for the PA profession, overall. I'm only friends with a few, but they've all been top-notch, and extremely well educated.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"there is always more to a call then what meets the eye"
Sometimes a fractured leg is just a fractured leg.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I knew about the powerline incident at a demonstration for a school, and the patient and paramedic hitting a tree during a haul operation (for which there was no legit training nor cert to perform), but I'd not heard of the one you mention.

Here's the one I was talking about:
06/05/1987 CHOTEAU, MT Aircraft Reg No. N4999N Time (Local): 20:15 MDT
THE EMS HELICOPTER WAS RETURNING TO GREAT FALLS, MT, ON 6/5/87 WHEN IT CRASHED. ITS OCCUPANTS HAD EARLIER PARTICIPATED IN A RESCUE
SEMINAR AT MANY GLACIER, MT. THE WRECKAGE WAS NOT FOUND UNTIL 6/9/87. A VIDEO TAPE RECOVERED FROM THE WRECKAGE DISCLOSED THE HELICOPTER
TO BE FOLLOWING A HERD OF BIG HORN SHEEP UP A 7000-FT MOUNTAIN SLOPE AND FLYING SLOWLY AT TREE-TOP LEVEL WHEN IT SUDDENLY YAWED TO THE
RIGHT. TESTS MADE ON THE AUDIO PORTION OF THE VIDEO TAPE REVEALED MAIN/TAIL ROTOR RPM WAS AT 100% POWER UNTIL 3.5 SEC BEFORE END OF TAPE.
AT THAT TIME MAIN/TAIL ROTOR RPM DROPPED TO 94%. EVIDENCE ALSO DISCLOSED HELICOPTER TO BE FLYING AT HIGH GROSS WEIGHT, HIGH DENSITY
ALTITUDE, AND WITH A TAILWIND.

Occurrence #1: LOSS OF CONTROL - IN FLIGHT
Phase of Operation: MANEUVERING
Findings
1. (F) IN-FLIGHT PLANNING/DECISION - IMPROPER - PILOT IN COMMAND
2. (F) WEATHER CONDITION - TAILWIND
3. (F) COMPENSATION FOR WIND CONDITIONS - NOT PERFORMED - PILOT IN COMMAND
4. (F) DIVERTED ATTENTION - PILOT IN COMMAND
5. (F) WEATHER CONDITION - HIGH DENSITY ALTITUDE
6. (F) ALTITUDE - REDUCED - PILOT IN COMMAND
7. (F) AIRSPEED - REDUCED - PILOT IN COMMAND
8. (C) COLLECTIVE - EXCESSIVE - PILOT IN COMMAND
9. (C) AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE,YAWING MANEUVERS - EXCEEDED
10. (C) ROTOR RPM - NOT MAINTAINED - PILOT IN COMMAND
----------
Occurrence #2: IN FLIGHT COLLISION WITH TERRAIN/WATER
Phase of Operation: DESCENT - UNCONTROLLED
Findings
11. (F) TERRAIN CONDITION - MOUNTAINOUS/HILLY
12. (F) TERRAIN CONDITION - UPHILL
Here's another

NTSB Identification: DEN89MA130.
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 39149.
Nonscheduled 14 CFR
Accident occurred Thursday, June 01, 1989 in BIG TIMBER, MT
Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/10/1990
Aircraft: BELL 206L-3, registration: N76KM
Injuries: 4 Fatal.

AT ABT 2158 MDT, THE EMERG MED SVC (EMS/MEDEVAC) HELICOPTER (HEL) PLT CTCD BILLINGS TWR & ADZD HE WOULD BE MAKING APCHS TO SAINT VINCENTS HOSP FOR (NGT) CURRENCY. APRX 9 MIN LATER, HE CTCD THE TWR AGAIN & ADZD HE WAS BEING DISPATCHED ON AN EMS FLT. THE EMS FLT WAS TO A RANCH (WNW OF BILLINGS). THE PLT HAD DIFFICULTY FINDING THE RANCH AT NGT, BUT ARRIVED AT 2238 MDT. THE PATIENT WAS LOADED & THE PLT WAS ADZD OF TRRN CONDS. A WITNESS SAID THE HEL LIFTED OFF FAST, THEN SWIVELEDARND QUICKLY (TOWARD EAST) & TOOK OFF W/O HESITATION. AFTER DEPG, THE HEL CROSSED A HILL & CRASHED AT HI SPD ON LWR TRRNIN A SLGT NOSE LOW, RGT BANK ATTITUDE, HDG 330 DEG. NO PREIMPACT MECH PRBLM WAS FND. THE PLT HAD BEEN RECENTLY HIRED BY THE OPERATOR; PREV EMPLOYMENT INVOLVED FLYING A DISSIMILAR HEL (BK-105) IN THE GULF OF MEXICO AREA, LIMITED TO DAY VFR. THE PLT'S LAST RECORDED NGT FLT WAS ON 6/16/87; HIS LAST RECORDED INST FLT WAS PRIOR TO JUNE 1984. NO RECORD WAS FND OF FAMILIARIZATION TRAINING FOR THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA. RELATIVES OF THE PATIENT DESCRIBED THE ACDNT AREA AS A BLACK HOLE.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this ACC as follows:
FAILURE OF THE PILOT TO MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE AIRCRAFT DURING TAKEOFF, DUE TO SPATIAL DISORIENTATION, WHICH RESULTED IN A COLLISION WITH THE TERRAIN. CONTRIBUTING FACTORS WERE: DARK NIGHT, PILOT'S VISUAL PERCEPTION, INADEQUATE INITIAL TRAINING OF THE PILOT BY THE OPERATOR, THE PILOT'S LACK OF FAMILIARITY WITH THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA, AND THE COMPANY'S INSUFFICIENT STANDARDS/REQUIREMENTS.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounded like a Longranger accident. Why someone hasn't put their foot down about using them for EMS escapes me.

It is being discussed by some with the FAA as part of what they have planned for HEMS if the BS and cutting corners does not stop in the near future. Part of what is being discussed would require HEMS to be dual pilot which would pretty much put the 206 out of the running because of weight restrictions. Kiss AirEvac Lifeteam goodbye when that happens.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
It is being discussed by some with the FAA as part of what they have planned for HEMS if the BS and cutting corners does not stop in the near future. Part of what is being discussed would require HEMS to be dual pilot which would pretty much put the 206 out of the running because of weight restrictions. Kiss AirEvac Lifeteam goodbye when that happens.

Pretty much all of the smaller airframes would be out the window, all the small Bells and A Stars I've seen run the patient down the full length of the left side of the cabin.

Not that knocking these coff...err, I mean airframes out is a bad thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Let Brown think .....

- Shoving oxygen down everybodies gob at 15LPM
- Strapping everybody to a spine board
- This hilariously ridiculous notion of "ALS" and "BLS"
- Crappy lungs = CHF = frusemide
- Tachydysrhythmias need to be cardioverted or given amiodarone
- Bradydysrhythmias need atropine and pacing
- Everybody needs an IV
- Everybody who gets an IV must have fluid hung
- Obtaining and/or reading a 12 lead is not important
- TKO saline is appropriate for a pulmonary edema
- Blood pressure is an adequate indicator of severity of shock
- Assisted ventilations are a good thing
- RSI is a bad thing
- Trauma is a surgical disease
- "We're not doctors!"
- Lights and sirens are important
- Response times are important
- All that education is not important,

and lastly .....

- That this Brown fellow has some sort of medical education

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone wants to sue you.

^^ this!!

and that every pcr you write will be scrutinized in court. LIVE IN FEAR because lawyers will rake every single notation over the coals.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I just have to ask...

Who told you that?

Guy I work with. He just finished Medic school at a local mill and thinks he's better than all of us.

johatan25

Forum Ride Along
Guy I work with. He just finished Medic school at a local mill and thinks he's better than all of us.

He'll eventually learn that he's not IT man, the worse you can encounter is worn out Medics that give you all their BS... just after you mentioned you want to go to medic school. Who cares if you are tired of EMS? Just give me useful info and keep your complaints to yourself. I look forward in encouraging future medics, that's your best medic right there.