Whacker Stories!

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Ok. Everyone knows they have an inner whacker inside of them. We all also work around whackers/squirrels/nuts whatever your area calls them. This is the thread to share our stories, pictures, videos, etc.

Fox800

Forum Captain
How about the person with more money put into emergency lights than their POV was worth? And they had more/better lights than PD's patrol cars.

As I type this, I'm wearing Big Shears and a bat belt (everyone wears bat belts here), so maybe I should shut my mouth.

At least I don't own a scanner or wear EMS hero-type t-shirts.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Everyone knows they have an inner whacker inside of them.

I find that rather offensive. It's like assuming everyone has a touch of schizophrenia.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
There are so many in my area. I live in a suburban/rural County and there's a million FD volunteers. So they take that as an excuse to put lights all over everything they can, and wear the super obnoxious gimmick shirts. They also show up on scene and break out their 10 tons of crap right as everyone's leaving.

I'm a minimalist. I don't even like cargo pockets on my pants, haha.

HOWEVER, I do own a scanner and when I sit on the computer or I'm doing something for school etc. I listen to the local dispatch center. Aside from my coworkers those are my friends out there and I just like knowing what's going on. It's not portable or anything though... I'm not THAT bad.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
HOWEVER, I do own a scanner and when I sit on the computer or I'm doing something for school etc. I listen to the local dispatch center.

I own a scanner, but there are no fire, EMS or PD frequencies tuned into it.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I own a scanner, but there are no fire, EMS or PD frequencies tuned into it.

In that case, Lifeguard niner zero one november bravo would like to go direct foxtrot mike golf, um, thereafter direct sierra lima charlie if Salt Lake will approve thence as filed, and we would like to climb flight level three niner zero.

See, Brown is much more than an orange jumpsuit :D

Disclaimer: Date of qualification for orange jumpsuit undetermined.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
How about the person with more money put into emergency lights than their POV was worth? And they had more/better lights than PD's patrol cars.

Nothing against Arkansas here, but once, while driving through, I saw a guy in a mini-van replete with a full blown LED lighting package. Full size lightbar, multiple grille lights, lights in each back window ans a full size traffic arrow in the back window.

Wow......

I'm so glad WA won't let you put lights on your POV. (Well, green, but only hard core wackers have them in my area. Whoever thought "no they can't have red, let's give them green" was an idiot. Please, tell me wth green is supposed to do for you.) The only lights that belong on any POV are the ones that come stock. (Or aftermarket fog or floodlights, extra backup lights, etc)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmm, we used to have a guy who was a brand spanking new emt. he had a mini lightbar, LEDs on both sides of his rear window, and LEDs in his gril. not to mention strobes in his headlights and taillights. The retards at my former squad even made him an officer. He was also hired by a private company doing 911 for $9 an hour. Then he got a g/f, and his participation plunged. after they broke up, he got back into it, but no where near the level he was at first (but he kept all the lights). oh, and he also decided to go shopping for alcohol in the ambulance for the underage squad member (I think said officer got a week suspension for that).

He had his EMT cert yanked by the DOH after he decided to call in a phony terrorist threat about a suspicious person attempting to steal his ambulance (which he fought off and was seen in the ER for). I think he works as Walmart now.

another guy I know is a volunteer FF for the past 15 years. He also works as a career FF, and is a life member of his local EMS org. he has strobes, a pretty cool lightbar, his turnout gear in the back of his pickup, and I know he has a radio or two. and he was elected chief last year of his VFD. is he a whacker?

in upstate NY, all volunteers respond from home, or directly to the scene. So many will scream about slow response times (when you get 100 calls a year), but complain that they have lights?

and I don't have a scanner. Anyone who has a scanner and listens to it when not at the squad/firehouse/etc is a bigger whacker than anyone with lights on their POV.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I once knew a guy who wanted to be a HEMS doctor .....

I have yet to come across any Whacker E. Rescue types here, they either dont get hired/onto the Degree or get thrown out.

The kind of people you describe wouldn't last here.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

8jimi8

CFRN
bat belt.

not too bad...

i have two multi-tools. one i was given for christmas, a generic job w/ a few screwdriver heads and a good set of pliers.

then i have my little 5.11 multitool... the only reason i keep that one around is that it has a tiny little led light on it, sometimes it comes in handy.

I guess its not too much of a bat belt, considering i'm the only one at work with tools on their belt...

it kinda does make me a whacker. Cause yah, i wear emt pants at work. i freaking HATE scrubs. i've never felt so unprotected as wearing scrubs. Not to mention ... anything with drawstrings on it, that isn't a pair of athletic shorts / swimsuit is for women. :)

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Tattoo's

People who get "Paramedic" type tattoos before they even become a medic always amaze me. I can see why it may give you motivation, but seriously???

I know several people that have gotten them done and are no longer in our Assoc. Degree Paramedic program. :p And I know a few that got them done and are still there with me.

(these tat's were acquired in our emt basic semester) :ph34r:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
People who get "Paramedic" type tattoos before they even become a medic always amaze me. I can see why it may give you motivation, but seriously???

I know several people that have gotten them done and are no longer in our Assoc. Degree Paramedic program. :p And I know a few that got them done and are still there with me.

(these tat's were acquired in our emt basic semester) :ph34r:

Hehe...kid in my basic class has an EMS tat.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I want and EMS tattoo. But I'm done with my basic class lol. I don't need the medic part. Don't intend on going to medic school.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

The only medical tattoo I'm getting is my EFMB tattooed on my forearm with "A time to kill, a time to heal" around it. I figure I have earned it in more ways than simply qualifying for it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The only medical tattoo I'm getting is my EFMB tattooed on my forearm with "A time to kill, a time to heal" around it.

The only medical tattoo I plan on is when I am older. I am going to be "that guy" with DNR in huge print across my chest