Well, there goes my career...

clibb

Forum Captain
Sorry to hear that you're leaving the field. Can you still do some teaching or anything like that? Good luck with your new career pursuit!

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Sorry to hear this! Prayers to you!

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
It was very hard to come to terms with this, but I know there is nothing I can do at this point in time. Perhaps in the distant future, but I think that's just wishful thinking.
I don't think anyone who has ever overcome great difficulties in their life got over them by thinking there was nothing they could do about it now, but maybe in the distant future.

On the other hand, you know the reality of your situation better than anyone else.

At least you can focus on the positive aspect of what you can now do instead (photography) rather than on the negative aspect of what you can't do.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Man, I really am sorry to hear all of that. It's just unreal that people have such disregard for lights that they'll pull something like this. I hope the joker not only has to pay out the nose for your expenses and suffering (not to mention lost wages both past and future) but that he has to spend a long time behind bars. Good luck to you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Wow, I feel for you. Best of luck for a speedy full recovery. This may be a great opportunity to pursue that non-ems career you've always dreamed off.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry to hear that you were hurt. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Speedy recovery.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Take Two, then.

If therapy isn't working tell your therapist. If your visits are over, tell your MD they didn't work.

Teaching is not all it sounds. I accidentally got a good start by getting a LOT of volunteer teaching time under my belt in a short time through the mighty Am Red Cross (I'm sure you have an equivalent up there). There's lifting and twisting and stuff there too, unless you find workarounds, like deputizing your students, using carts, and declining assignments you have to carry your gear to over distances. But teaching gigs that pay are not falling all around, there are plenty of former FF'ers, EMT, etc. (like me) who want in as well. Photography seems to be sort of equivalent, too much supply and not enough demand.

Define your dream, get that BA, get some small business classes too, follow the job leads and make sure you stay on those medical people until you are recovering, not just filling in their calendar squares. LIFE will blow you sideways, be ready for more. Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Thought and prayers.I know how you are feeling.

Ive been there to some extent after getting in a car wreck on my way home from work 4 years ago. Someone ran a stop sign and I hit them, then ran into the median and rolled my car onto the roof. Ford Contour SVTs dont hold up for crap. I woke up upside down and dazed. I asked a bystander to undo my seatbelt so I could crawl out. I did a quick body check-realized I had some broken bones and laid out in the median to wait. I actually thought to myself "Ok Forts Lake FD should be here in about 6-8 mins. Our Moss Point ambulance will be here in 10ish and the Pascagoula unit (where I had gotten off of 20mins earlier) will be here in 15mins. Guess Ill hang out and wait".

Wound up with a left tib/fib fracture that is still rodded, broken right ankle and foot that didnt need surgery (only due to my boot keeping it from displacing), cracked right hip, broken jaw, broken finger that needed a pin, severe concussion and scalp avulsion and a few other things Im forgetting.

To be at home and away from work was hard as hell. I had started trying to figure out a plan B if I couldnt go back to work. My orthopod actually didnt think I would make it back anytime soon and told me to find a less physically demanding job. I was lucky and out for 8 months but went back 2months too soon. Even now Im not sure how long I can keep up being in the field. The tib/fib rod and screws are always in the way when I kneel (the screws are right under the skin) and restrict knee movement but they cant be pulled. My right ankle always hurts due to ligament damage and has arthritis now and after an active shift leaves me unable to walk on it.

All this to say your recovery looks great and the funk was normal for me and took awhile to get past. I just had to try and be positive even though it was hard. Heck I still have nervous moments when Im driving and now when I have the busy shifts that leave me unable to walk I get down about stuff all over again and I still consider leaving EMS for something less demanding.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Prayers from the Browns for a speedy and prosperous recovery as well finding a new direction in life that is just as fulfilling

Brown
Former ambo 2008-2011, current Brown

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you, everyone. It's nice to have a "support team" of sorts.

Clibb: I've thought about becoming an instructor. Perhaps not as one for the same level which I am trained, but instead an advanced first aid/CPR instructor. First I'd have to take an instructor certification course. It's a possibility.

Stephanie: Thank you. :)

JJR512: Perhaps you are right; I may be doubting myself. It may possible that one day I can step foot into a rig and do the job again.

JonTullos: I agree, and not just because I was unfortunate enough to be one of their victims. I have been in contact with the Crown Prosecutor and, as of right now, they do not know exactly when the legal crud will be done with. The guy is being held behind bars until the court hearings start, which can be up to another 6 months (mainly because he was wanted on other warrants).

MMiz: Thank you; as I have mentioned before, I am going back to college next month for business admin .Maybe it could end up being EMS-related.

firefox: Thank you.

Mycrofft: I've been talking with my therapist about the exercises and she is currently designing a new regime to try out. My department offered to give me a paid spot in our public awareness classes (which also does CPR/first aid training) which I may take them up on. Thank you for your kind words.

EMSrush: Thank you very much. :)

shfd739: Sorry to hear that you've had to go through something similar. I'm glad to hear you're doing okay and still on the job; it gives me hope. I haven't quite felt this nervousness you speak of, but I did return to the accident site (and watched the dashcam footage from an RCMP cruiser). I was very uneasy to say the least.

MrBrown: Thank you, I hope so as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm glad your alive. My prayers go out to a speedy recovery. I can't even begin to imagine what was going through your mind.

As for the video, I experienced a severe injury playing HS football, I was offered to watch the tape and accepted the offer. Saw it once and that was all I needed to see, but it did help to see it rather than listening to bystander accounts.

When I have some time I'll shoot you a pm with the different things I have learned through being in PT way too many times, never for something as serious as this but it may get you started. Best advice would be to start going to sessions with a professional physical therapist, preferably a good looking one ;)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
You've looked Death in the face...

...and smiled back; Good work!

Most of us don't have the good fortune to be able to recognize when we're at a fork in the road. You got thrust into this one. In the process, you may have been kneecapped but all that means is you'll have to make a few minor adjustments. You really DID dodge the Big Adjustment, so really, ain't this small potatoes?

You can work with this, and as has been mentioned, the System is geared toward your compensation. Just don't get too attached in pursuing it.

The only thing that matters is that you're still alive and have much to work with.

This is a grand time to integrate Appreciation into all that you choose to do. Think of how many people you will benefit if you always remember second chances are precious -- and RARE -- opportunities.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
I hope you all learn from my accident that, no matter where you are, be aware. Always keep safe. Thank you.

Don't let anyone MMQB you... Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, it only takes one idiot driver to ruin everything.
I wish you a full recovery. I hope you can continue to stay active in the field you love in some capacity or another.
Have you thought about a career in fire or EMS photography? There are professional organizations of fire photographers that will probably glad to help you out.

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm glad your alive. My prayers go out to a speedy recovery. I can't even begin to imagine what was going through your mind.

As for the video, I experienced a severe injury playing HS football, I was offered to watch the tape and accepted the offer. Saw it once and that was all I needed to see, but it did help to see it rather than listening to bystander accounts.

When I have some time I'll shoot you a pm with the different things I have learned through being in PT way too many times, never for something as serious as this but it may get you started. Best advice would be to start going to sessions with a professional physical therapist, preferably a good looking one ;)

Thanks! It's not the first time I've been a pt (I have an unexplainable frequent sinus tach that can, at random, spike to the point where breathing can be difficult (although very rare, it's happened a couple times and required a trip to the hospital via EMS). I'm already seeing a professional physiotherapist, and while she's not ugly by any means it's a good thing she's not TOO attractive - the girlfriend is the jealous type. :p

As for the videos, I too have an old sports injury from my hockey days (low check - more like a tackle) into the side of my left knee. The video was pretty cool to see (lol) but seeing the dash cam footage of this incident was pretty hard hitting. It's like watching the same kind of footage from those action reality shows with all the best car chases, but seeing yourself cartwheeling about 3 times before hitting the ground and your tibia poking out the front of your shin is a totally different experience. I moped a bit more when I saw that video.

...and smiled back; Good work!

Most of us don't have the good fortune to be able to recognize when we're at a fork in the road. You got thrust into this one. In the process, you may have been kneecapped but all that means is you'll have to make a few minor adjustments. You really DID dodge the Big Adjustment, so really, ain't this small potatoes?

You can work with this, and as has been mentioned, the System is geared toward your compensation. Just don't get too attached in pursuing it.

The only thing that matters is that you're still alive and have much to work with.

This is a grand time to integrate Appreciation into all that you choose to do. Think of how many people you will benefit if you always remember second chances are precious -- and RARE -- opportunities.

Thank you very much. If I ever feel that I'm good and ready to get back in an ambu or apparatus, believe me I will do just that - even if it's part time volly.

Right now I'm being compensated quite well between my health insurance and disability checks. All my surgeries/appointments/physio is covered by the other guy's insurance and after the trial is all done I'll have the grievance/damages/whatever-you-want-to-call them checks will be rolling in. I'm pretty grateful I'm in Canada, or I'd be paying out the yingyang for medical.

Don't let anyone MMQB you... Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, it only takes one idiot driver to ruin everything.
I wish you a full recovery. I hope you can continue to stay active in the field you love in some capacity or another.
Have you thought about a career in fire or EMS photography? There are professional organizations of fire photographers that will probably glad to help you out.

While I agree with you, given the location of everything during the call, I could have been a bit more careful (this is something I recognize, personally - or maybe I'm still kind of beating myself up?). It's hard to describe, and I don't feel it necessary to explain in the greatest detail; there were choices I could have made with a little better judgement. I'm a stickler for scene safety, as I like to go home alive and I want all my colleagues to do the same.

Yes, I have actually. Although I've decided to stay away from photography as a profession for some time until I'm more recovered (believe it or not, photographers carry just as much as we do - my current fully-packed photo bag weighs 20+ pounds). It will stay a very passionate hobby until I've completed my BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration).

Dearabbs

Forum Ride Along
Laughing at It

I am new here, but coming from a lot of experience with being in the patient "suck" as you called it, it is better to laugh. :rofl: I am so sorry you had to go through that, but sometimes life has to throw is into a cartwheel in the air so we can find something that makes us truly happy. ie the photography you mentioned.

I have had a few friends that sustained career altering injuries during fires or even in training, and they had a hard time dealing with changing careers at first. Lets face it, this career we have chosen is a lifestyle and takes so much of us to get where we want in it. But, they have all seemed to find something that makes them truly happy and I hope this is true of your future endeavors.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I have nothing to say that everyone else hasn't already said, but I'm also really sorry to hear that. Best wishes.

As for you saying you could've been more careful... don't beat yourself up. Who couldn't be more careful? Seriously, though, most of the time we get away with all of our little lapses. We'd never get anything done if we were always perfect. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

Meanwhile, this field can be useful elsewhere, even if the content doesn't transfer very well. Just wait until you're interviewing somewhere totally different and get the "Tell me about a time when you handled a stressful situation..." question.