Well, there goes my career...

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
In November I was working a highway MVC. Some jerkoff decided to skip the 5 or so police cruisers, 3 fire apparatuses, and 2 ambulances on the highway via the grassy area next to the shoulder of the road and sped through the scene. I ended up getting hit as I was grabbing some gear from passenger's side side hatches (ambu was parked on the right shoulder of the 2-lane highway and police were directing traffic through the one lane). I ended up with right tib-fib, patella and femur fractures, couple of broken toes and ribs and a concussion, among numerous lacs and contusions of varying sizes. My spinal cord is also damaged with several vertebrae out of alignment.

Aforementioned jerkoff was arrested and charged with a number of different offenses, including dangerous driving causing bodily injury, criminal hit and run, and driving while suspended.

I have gone through a few different surgeries (pins, plates and bone grafts) since the accident, but my career in EMS/FD is pretty much done. It was very hard to come to terms with this, but I know there is nothing I can do at this point in time. Perhaps in the distant future, but I think that's just wishful thinking. I have decided to go back to school and pursue a Business Administration diploma in either management or marketing so I can start a business where I can follow another passion of mine: photography.

I hope you all learn from my accident that, no matter where you are, be aware. Always keep safe. Thank you.

Brian

PS) Anyone know any good physio exercises? The ones I'm currently doing hurt like hell and I don't seem to feel better afterward.

Leafmealone

Forum Probie
So sorry to hear that. All things considered though, at least your still alive. That cant be said for many other on scene accidents. I do hope things get better for you though.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Man, so sorry. Was wondering where you've been.

Hopefully you'll make so much money off his insurance that you won't have to work another day in your life and can pursue anything you'd like without fear of finances.

Make sure you stay here and post, though!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Oh man! "That sucks!" doesn't even begin to cover it! So sorry to hear about the accident. Here's to wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Damn brother. I'm so sorry to hear that. If there's anything we can do just let us know :sad:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im so sorry to hear that.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Nerdy66

Forum Ride Along
I'm so sorry, I know that won't make it any easier, but I will definitely keep my hopes up that you have a full recovery.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Dang. Sorry to hear about this. Thoughts for your continued recovery.

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I just want to say thank you to everyone. I am very thankful to just be alive, and it was one hell of an experience to see the suck from the patient side. Apparently the arresting LEO's cruiser dash cam caught everything from the car hitting me right up to the arrest. He's offered to show it to me and it will be given as evidence in court (whenever that's supposed to happen). I haven't given him an answer yet, but deep down I'm quite curious to see my face as I cartwheel in the air lol. Is it wrong that I'm laughing at this?

Turns out my new boots weren't as good as I thought. Darn things were 30 yards down the road. :glare:

Hey Linuss, you still kickin' it on your 360?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Dang. Hope you come to like your plan B. At least you have a good attitude about it.

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Dang. Hope you come to like your plan B. At least you have a good attitude about it.

Thank you. I've loved photography as much as I did my job, so I think it will be good. It took me 7 months to get out of my funk and stop moping around. Although there will always be a part of me missing - a part of my r. patella lol. Seriously though, I do miss the job. Both my fire family and my family family have been very supportive. Big recovery party AND my birthday party on Friday, woo!

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Thank you. I've loved photography as much as I did my job, so I think it will be good. It took me 7 months to get out of my funk and stop moping around. Although there will always be a part of me missing - a part of my r. patella lol. Seriously though, I do miss the job. Both my fire family and my family family have been very supportive. Big recovery party AND my birthday party on Friday, woo!

If photography doesn't work out why not try to get into instructor for EMT or CPR? I know it may not be riding on a truck but you could still be involved in the field. You could also consider dispatch. Whatever your decisions Good Luck and God Bless.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Sorry to hear about the accident. Just curious, since it happened at work does your employer have a duty to accommodate you with modified work? (not that you would necessarily want to work a fire desk job for the rest of your life)

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, there's modified/light duties available (paper pushing) but it's not something that really makes me happy. I haven't really given them an answer yet but I feel it's just time for me to move on to something less intensive (mentally or otherwise). Since the accident and the subsequent head injury/concussion I've been susceptible to migraines and looking at computer monitors for more than a couple of hours on end tend to facilitate them. I have time to decided as I've got another 6 months until I should be good to start looking for less physically demanding work according to my doctor.

I have thought about teaching CPR/first aid and even starting a scene safety and awareness lecture for those on the job or those looking at a career in emergency services. It's also been pitched by my chief that I could still hang around as a fire photog.

In the mean time, I've been accepted into the Business Administration program and will either continue with this until my diploma, or go ahead and get my certificate and then next year start on my photographic technologies diploma.

Really, I'm thankful I'm young (21st birthday on Friday) so I can recover nicely and still be able to enter a new workforce with the youth factor on my side.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
It took me 7 months to get out of my funk and stop moping around. Although there will always be a part of me missing - a part of my r. patella lol.

The bolded part says more about you than anything else you can post. You got the right mindset, brother. I'm glad you're able to find something you enjoy as much as EMS

Keep on keepin' on.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Hey Linuss, you still kickin' it on your 360?

When the darn thing works, yes. I was wondering where you've been!

As soon as Microsoft sends back my harddrive, I'll be looking for you online.. I had too much fun shooting your Canadian butt.

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
The bolded part says more about you than anything else you can post. You got the right mindset, brother. I'm glad you're able to find something you enjoy as much as EMS

Keep on keepin' on.

Thanks! After I got over my funk I realized that this whole thing is what I make of it. If I can have fun and retain my sense of humor, then there's nothing that says this entire experience has to suck completely.

When the darn thing works, yes. I was wondering where you've been!

As soon as Microsoft sends back my harddrive, I'll be looking for you online.. I had too much fun shooting your Canadian butt.

I've been on here and there since the accident but, as I mentioned before, migraines tend to get the best of me when looking at screens. Less now than before, so I'll be on more often.

I think the last game we played, you got mad because some guy kept killing you over and over so you rage quit. :rofl:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've been on here and there since the accident but, as I mentioned before, migraines tend to get the best of me when looking at screens. Less now than before, so I'll be on more often.

Oh sure, blame the "migraines" on you dying all the time!

OP
OP
nomofica

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh sure, blame the "migraines" on you dying all the time!
No, I get the migraines NOW. I didn't get them when I was dying. lol