Weight loss ( Need help with getting started)

Redsoxs23

Forum Ride Along
hello all, I am 21(6 foot 475 LBS) former EMT student, who is looking advice and information on how to lose weight. This may sound silly to some of you, but I grew up in a household were my father always worked and I was stuck with an opiate addict who just fed me and my sister junk. I was never really taught the right way to eat , I was always a big kid in height and weight wise, but recently I noticed within myself I have been gaining a lot since my dads death in 2014 ( pulmonary embolism) and I want to lose weight and go back to Emt to finish what I started, I have always wanted to help people since I was a little kid but I can help anyone unless I help myself. but I have no idea on where to start, btw stopped drinking soda since my dad passed ( only drink it when going out to Applebee's etc.) any tips or any information really would be helpful. Thank you all in advance!!

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
See a physician.

MicahW

Forum Crew Member
It is not going to be something that you can half-***. Every day, stop doing or eating one more thing that is bad for you, and every day, set your goals higher: run faster or for longer. Always keep your goal in mind. Maybe join a team, something where your teammates can inspire you to work harder. Also, see a nutritionist to keep track of your goals and to make a better plan.

MackTheKnife

It is not going to be something that you can half-***. Every day, stop doing or eating one more thing that is bad for you, and every day, set your goals higher: run faster or for longer. Always keep your goal in mind. Maybe join a team, something where your teammates can inspire you to work harder. Also, see a nutritionist to keep track of your goals and to make a better plan.
Great advice. Make and break goals along with team support. There's strength in numbers.

OP
OP
R

Redsoxs23

Forum Ride Along
thanks for advice it means a lot for you guys to take the time to help me out. I got a planet fitness membership tonight and I used it that moment, I found my limits tonight and I smashed through those mental walls, I have goal in mind and nothing is going to stop me from achieving it! i want nothing more than to join the brother/sisterhood of ems!

MackTheKnife

thanks for advice it means a lot for you guys to take the time to help me out. I got a planet fitness membership tonight and I used it that moment, I found my limits tonight and I smashed through those mental walls, I have goal in mind and nothing is going to stop me from achieving it! i want nothing more than to join the brother/sisterhood of ems!
Good luck to you. There will be setbacks along the way. Remember what Churchill said- "Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
Getting regular sleep helps get your metabolism straight. I have found a little extra weight since I joined our crew, I have my suspicions that it is from my regular sleep patterns getting messed up. Of course since we are EMTs I dont think we have regluar sleep patterns anymore. Eat a good breakfast, have a good lunch and take a light supper. I have found not eating before I go to bed helps me sleep better and keeps your from taking in alot of calories and then just going to bed, which equals more weight. Good luck brother!

K Bar

Forum Ride Along
Hello! I have pretty much the same story that you do, I also grew up eating out of boxes and bags due to a mom who was physically present but mentally checked out with her narcotics lol. The biggest thing diet wise is clean, simple eating, stay to the outside of the grocery store and learn to cook, and cook ahead so that you always have decent food around, you have to have something to do with that food addiction. At first you won't be able to eat less or you will just fall back off the wagon and binge on junk food, eat all you want of good, clean food, nothing processed and only natural sugars and carbs and eventually you will be able to moderate that to a reasonable level and the processed food cravings will go away. And as with any addiction, you are going to fall back to junk now and then and that's fine, just don't live there anymore, cut back slow if you have to and eventually get away from any sugar at all, not even fruit. Some berries are alright, but find someone who knows what they're talking about. Get a trainer and someone to keep you accountable, preferably a workout pardner and work out every day, no more than a day or two off at a time. I have been really fat and really fit, I've had an atrocious last couple years and I'm just now getting my head back on and my **** together lol, I'm sick of being fat and I love being fit, so here we go again! And remember, 80-90% of body weight is because of diet, I work with plenty of people who have worked EMS in high volume systems for many years who stay fit because they eat right and keep active, blaming EMS for being fat is a total cop out lol, my own doctor has been my primary care for almost thirty years and he's always been rail thin and that sucker can't sleep more than once or twice a month! ;)

Williana Sullivan

Forum Ride Along
Well, there are many weight loss programs and treatments available now a days. Detoxification is a great start for any weight loss program because it clears all toxins from every part of the body. I had gone through the Weight loss fort lauderdale treatment which really gave me a great results.

Traumawaffles

Forum Crew Member
Since you want to lose weight, lots of veggies, cut out carbs if you can from your diet. Lean meats and fish, and not so much beef unless it's lean. Try to have well portioned meals, find an app to help keep track of your calorie intake. Also, try to keep your meals fresh, stay away from boxed meals as much as possible.

I usually also make my meals a week in advance to help keep me on track.

But the best advice I can give you is do not quit. Keep pushing, and don't half ***. The first week of cutting off all the bad will suck and you will have withdrawals. But in the end it's worth it.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
I, too need to lose weight. So far, with just eating less junk and mainly slowing down my eating (taking 20-30mins to eat a meal) and walking daily (up to two miles a day) I've lost fifty pounds since February. I keep apples and cities around to snack on. Its hard work, but it really does pay off in the end. I wish you the best of luck!

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I keep apples and cities around to snack on.

Cities you say?
07c89e43fd7e5d432341666853ed6f80.jpg

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Good for you for wanting to become a more healthy person!

First step- accept responsibility. If you recognize you are the way you are because of your actions, your more likely to succeed. Dieting/working out is all about personal accountability and accepting responsibility. It's much easier to relapse when you can place the blame somewhere other then on yourself. So instead of saying your overweight because your mom never taught you good eating habits, say your overweight because even when you got older and became in charge of your eating habits- you chose to continue poor eating habits.

Also, set time based goals. Like "I will weigh 15 pounds less in 6 months". If there's a "deadline", your more likely to work harder to meet your goal.

Also, develop a routine ( certain days you work out at certain times, when you eat, etc).

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
The decision starts within you that you would want to lose weight. There are 3 factors, diet, exercise, lifestyle modification. Those are the things we are in control. Always opt for a plain water instead wherever you are, these are less in calories and are good in detoxifying your body. Prefer veggies and fruits over those meats or fatty foods (follow the food pyramid)...Get a good sleep daily as it repairs your body and get a good exercise as it allow for protein, fats, and carbohydrates breakdown. Supplementing with vitamins, especially vitamin C can aid in weight loss. You got to do a lot of research -- and opt for the natural ones which you can implement in your daily life.

If all above measure fails, of course, it is always nice to have professional guidance such as a weight loss counselor or a physician for a bariatric surgery (that will be advance down the road, but remember, obesity is not your fault, but there are ways that you are in control (that is diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications). Best to you.

Check this helpful link and get your BMI calculated for free, plus tips on sustaining weight loss

https://wlfmedical.ca/my-tools/bmi-calculator/

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
1800> calories a day. You'll lose 4 pounds a week. At least for a while. Once you lose a bunch of weight you'll go to 3lb and then 2lb.

Plus if you workout you will lose more. Light weight lifting and lots of cardio. Do not skip out on weight lifting. Its important to retain muscle.