We dont only take care of humans

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
0130- House struck by lightening, all occupants out, except one cat. Since I was on the ambulance I wasnt responsible for any firefighting. Big Bend comes in, 10 minutes later Im given a fairly large cage. I asked what was in it, since I don't like reptiles. Turns out its something furry. Take it back to the ambulance. Poor guinea pig is in an inch of water, covered in soot and wet. Normally they're pretty swirmish so I was reluctant to take him outta the cage. But I had to. This poor this was drenched. Opened the cage and took him out to a waiting towel in my arms. Dried him and cleaned him up the best I could. Hot cop and a few others came over to see what I had. After spending about 10 minutes with it I found the family, handed it to the daughter and went in search of something to put it in since its cage was full of water. Couldnt find anything so I went back to the ambo and dumped out all the water and shavings, dried it out and put a dry blanket in there. Put the pig back in there and they put him in their car.

Went back up by Dennis, one of our FF got a lil warm so we were taking care of her, I wasnt too interested since there were 2 others in there already, went to walk back up by the house. The same chief asked me to get some towels, they had found the cat. I grab 2 and run over to the family. The cat is also soaked, full of soot. I take the cat and they say he's usually more perky. Dried him off a little and took him to the ambulance. Gave him some oxygen and held him on my lap for about 20 minutes. He was shaking a little, but he was also drenched and in an unfamaliar environment. Got him a lil more dried off and the son put it in their car.

Total saved- 1 cat, 1 guinea pig
Toal Loss- a $250,000+ house, belongings
Saving the pets of the family who just lost everything- Priceless
For everything else theres less rewarding jobs.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
That's awesome :)

(I was going to be a vet, and worked for one for a long time, so I can relate to you on this one)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
ahhh...what else can be said but

Another
Life
Saved

Good job!!! They can rebuild the house :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
YAY! I love aminals.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My Paramedic class instructor teaches Dog CPR. My one squad's chief helped resusictate a dog with oxygen after a fire last year, and he got on the front page of the local news, too...

Jon

emt3225

Forum Crew Member
I'm soo afraid of fires thats why i only deal with EMS. if someone told me that their animal was in the burning house, i would have to run in and try to save the poor animal without thinking twice...Everyone always told me to become a vet, but i can't handle seeing them sick or dying..Everytime i bring my dog to the vet 95% of the time i always have to see someone crying and saying that they just put their animal down, which brings tears to my eyes...Now i send my dog to the vet with a friend :rolleyes:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Normally I don't get to do much firefighting b/c during the winter I work EMS, and during the summer I work forestry. So they main part of fires I get is either stand by or forest. On the rare chance I get back home, I've crawled into a couple dozen structure fires. To date I have one fatality pulled out, and the only survivors were a litter of seven kittens. Incidently they were our first patients in a brand new ambulance. They used all the sterile water cleaning them, and gave them Oxygen... So they made out seven trip sheets. It was funny, but the EMS region called asking why The patients were talking, only 2 months old, and had names like Muffin, Cupcake, and Alf?
Joke was on them, because we meant to frame the run sheets as something to remember in 30 years, but they were mistakenly sent out w/ the real run sheets. :blink: Oops.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 21 2005, 12:17 PM
Normally I don't get to do much firefighting b/c during the winter I work EMS, and during the summer I work forestry. So they main part of fires I get is either stand by or forest. On the rare chance I get back home, I've crawled into a couple dozen structure fires. To date I have one fatality pulled out, and the only survivors were a litter of seven kittens. Incidently they were our first patients in a brand new ambulance. They used all the sterile water cleaning them, and gave them Oxygen... So they made out seven trip sheets. It was funny, but the EMS region called asking why The patients were talking, only 2 months old, and had names like Muffin, Cupcake, and Alf?
Joke was on them, because we meant to frame the run sheets as something to remember in 30 years, but they were mistakenly sent out w/ the real run sheets. :blink: Oops.
LMAO!!! :lol:

ECC

Forum Captain
05-03-011pic3.jpg

Saved 3 puppies and 2 cats @ this worker...one cat and one older Jack Russell did not make it, despite best efforts. :(

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I posted this a while back in the "Say What???" thread:

Dispatch: This is METCOM paging xnxx, E-xxx, E-xxx, Tankerxxx, Rescuexxx, BrushTruckxxx. You are needed to respond to xxx ___ street for a report of a cow that has fallen into a pool. (long pause open mic) the cow is drowning.

Only in Illinois.....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by cbdemt@May 23 2005, 09:41 PM
I posted this a while back in the "Say What???" thread:

Dispatch: This is METCOM paging xnxx, E-xxx, E-xxx, Tankerxxx, Rescuexxx, BrushTruckxxx. You are needed to respond to xxx ___ street for a report of a cow that has fallen into a pool. (long pause open mic) the cow is drowning.

Only in Illinois.....
Hmmm.... About that typecode...

Is that a drowning or a farm rescue????

Jon

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 23 2005, 08:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 23 2005, 08:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cbdemt@May 23 2005, 09:41 PM
I posted this a while back in  the "Say What???" thread:

Only in Illinois.....
Hmmm.... About that typecode...

Is that a drowning or a farm rescue????

Jon [/b][/quote]
I think I was on that call. :lol: I've worked a "cow drowning" call in a swimming pool. And it's coded as a "water rescue" because the dive rescue team got toned out as well. :lol:

We've also been told by our medical director that we are required to resuscitate any animal we feel is viable that we find on a scene. Otherwise he will have our licenses (or so he claims, I'd like to see how the state reacts to a doctor writing us up for failure to code a guinea pig or something). To date, I've intubated a cat, a dog, a goat, a chicken, a squirrel (don't ask, kids brought it in to the station and wanted us to "help it") and called out the deputy coroner for a DOA turkey (long story). We also defibbed the dog. I've given albuterol breathing treatments to a parrot with smoke inhalation- the vet loved that....the pediatric aerosol mask fit very well over the beak of that macaw.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by usafmedic45@May 23 2005, 10:21 PM
To date, I've intubated a cat, a dog, a goat, a chicken, a squirrel (don't ask, kids brought it in to the station and wanted us to "help it") and called out the deputy coroner for a DOA turkey (long story). We also defibbed the dog. I've given albuterol breathing treatments to a parrot with smoke inhalation- the vet loved that....the pediatric aerosol mask fit very well over the beak of that macaw.

My father once worked in a hospital / medical school as a high school student intern, in an animal lab. He's told me dogs are REAL easy to intubate, "just open the mouth and put it in" No larengescope needed...

We had a Canadian Goose fly a little too low on the PA Turnpike... ended up going through the front windshield of a car, driver lost control, wrecked van full of children. Driver died, kids ok... Goose REALLY, REALLY, DEAD

Jon

GayEMTNJ

Forum Probie
We had a job where a parakeet had gotten a little too much smoke and was a little lethargic. The crew put a plastic bag over the cage and fed oxygen supply tubing into the cage under the bag. Essentially, they built a little oxygen tent for the bird. The little guy then got transported in the duty supervisor's truck to the 24 hour vet where I'm told he recovered nicely.