Want to upgrade your paramedic cert to a paramedic degree?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
104236858_585201072121099_2632004275696291888_o.jpg

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Oof on that out-of-state tuition

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hm, the online part and getting a degree part is pretty tempting. You're a pretty active member here. Do you trust it or know who runs the program? I feel like I've seen schools screw over students before where they don't get degrees or certifications.

I've always thought that paramedics should have degrees, but oddly do not have a degree myself. Mainly I work full time and feel like it is hard to go back to school. I've signed up to local colleges before, but just never signed up for classes.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

It's my local community college, and yes, I both know and trust the director. She's very "evidence-based," recently earned her PhD, and is very pro EMS, and supports her students. I can assure you, it won't be an easy A (you will have to actually do the work, take the exams to validate you know the material, etc), but they (the school) won't screw you if you do the work.

Here is the link to the actual program's webpage: https://www.waketech.edu/programs-c...ency-medical-science/degrees-programs/a45340b

And if you want to see what the program consists of:

I've always thought that paramedics should have degrees, but oddly do not have a degree myself.
Honestly, that's the big reason why I am so anti-degrees for paramedics; many say others should get it to become paramedics, but they aren't willing to do the same. I'm all for raising standards, and think we should do it for everyone... and raise the standards for everyone in the profession, including those who are already in it.

Oof on that out-of-state tuition
Have you actually gone to college, and seen how expensive education is? And in-state residents pay taxes that partially fund the school; hence the price break compared to out of state.

Just for comparison of rates per credit hour with NC State Univ, which is located in the same city as Wake Tech (in-state vs out of state noted below):

2019-2020$230$875

The price is pretty standard (here is form Durham County's school, which is near Wake but nowhere near as reputable of a program) https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/198455/durham-technical-community-college/tuition/

oh, and this is from my very first community college in NJ, Middlesex County College

YearIn-StateOut-of-State
2018-2019$293$ 293
2019-2020$294$294
2020-2021$295$295

It's actually very reasonable, especially if your employer has a tuition reimbursement program (mine does, and they paid for my graduate certificate, and would have paid for my MBA if I had continued with the program). Just remember, once you have the degree, no one can take that away from you, while a certificate does expire.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It's my local community college, and yes, I both know and trust the director. She's very "evidence-based," recently earned her PhD, and is very pro EMS, and supports her students. I can assure you, it won't be an easy A (you will have to actually do the work, take the exams to validate you know the material, etc), but they (the school) won't screw you if you do the work.

Here is the link to the actual program's webpage: https://www.waketech.edu/programs-c...ency-medical-science/degrees-programs/a45340b

And if you want to see what the program consists of:

Honestly, that's the big reason why I am so anti-degrees for paramedics; many say others should get it to become paramedics, but they aren't willing to do the same. I'm all for raising standards, and think we should do it for everyone... and raise the standards for everyone in the profession, including those who are already in it.

Have you actually gone to college, and seen how expensive education is? And in-state residents pay taxes that partially fund the school; hence the price break compared to out of state.

Just for comparison of rates per credit hour with NC State Univ, which is located in the same city as Wake Tech (in-state vs out of state noted below):

2019-2020$230$875

The price is pretty standard (here is form Durham County's school, which is near Wake but nowhere near as reputable of a program) https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/198455/durham-technical-community-college/tuition/

oh, and this is from my very first community college in NJ, Middlesex County College

YearIn-StateOut-of-State
2018-2019$293$ 293
2019-2020$294$294
2020-2021$295$295

It's actually very reasonable, especially if your employer has a tuition reimbursement program (mine does, and they paid for my graduate certificate, and would have paid for my MBA if I had continued with the program). Just remember, once you have the degree, no one can take that away from you, while a certificate does expire.
For some reason your table shows the same tuition rate for in state and out of state students.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

For some reason your table shows the same tuition rate for in state and out of state students.
Yeah, I noticed that, but didn't bother to look into why. but since you called me out on it....

It looks like the table isn't accurate for Middlesex. According to the college website:

IN COUNTY
Tuition$116.00
General Fees$19.00
Student Service Fee$4.50
Technology Fee$15.00
Total Per Credit$154.50
OUT OF COUNTY
Tuition$232.00
General Fees$38.00
Student Service Fee$9.00
Technology Fee$30.00
Total Per Credit$309.00

In any case, Wake Tech is still cheaper for both in state and out of state students.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was convinced to go back to college for nursing. I signed up for some general education classes. I totally forgot about this, but just realized how close I am to getting an AS in EMS, if I go this route. How is this program holding up?

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

How is this program holding up?
To be perfectly honest, I don't know... county politics and COVID put a major hurt on the program. In person classes were cancelled. reorgs occurred, staffing was shuffled. The old director left for another school; I'm meeting with the new director around Jan 3rd. I've met him in passing, but he isn't the PhD director that the former one was, but still an pro-paramedic guy.

Do I think it's worth exploring? absolutely. If you don't like the online idea, see if there is something closer. the biggest advantage to an online program is it doesn't matter what it is, so if you find a program you like more, go for it. No one will care where your degree is from, as long as it is regionally accredited.

If you want, message me in a few weeks, and I will tell you how my chat with the new director goes.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
if you’re looking for an online program that will accept your paramedic credits, it’s worth looking at Columbia Southern. I completed a BS there and am now enrolled in a MPA program.

Some people people balk at National vs regional accreditation, but at the end of the day, unless you plan to move your credits to another university for post grad, no big deal. My employer had no issue with recognizing my degree and there are plenty of schools that will accept National accreditation for post grad programs.

It was an affordable and flexible program for me. YMMV.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was working at a slow base for the past half year and was certain I was going to have plenty of time to study, do homework, and then try to attend most or all online classes. I only worked two 24s a week so I figured I could make it work. The base closed, my money became tight, and I got dropped from classes I signed up for due to not paying. I can still sign right back up because there's a lot of open spots still. Doesn't seem like a lot of people are going to school right now. People are really hating the online stuff. For me, it's perfect. I definitely want something online. I was just looking at stuff and thought about this. Signing up for different state reciprocity, I didn't realize that some states do care about degrees. I also do just want a degree in general. I was going to do general education for nursing, but if I can get a degree in paramedicine quick, why not? An AS in Nursing in CA I think is kind of useless anyways. I'd probably have to get at least a BSN, if I go into nursing, and that'll probably be awhile. I still don't know what I am doing with work, but I will hopefully find out soon. Get a feel for how busy it is and what my schedule will be like. It sounds like I might being doing a 2 week on/off thing, but I've heard mixed things from a variety of people getting into the travel program that I am getting into.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You truly have to be a motivated self starter when it comes to self paced online courses. It’s very easy to procrastinate your way to an incomplete or an F.