Want to become an EMT but have no idea where to start. help?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you guys. It means a lot that you all think so highly of me.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thank you guys. It means a lot that you all think so highly of me.

Wow may have to pull your man card for getting mushy.

But you do occasionally give a good instructional post.;)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

medic417

The Truth Provider

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Is that what they call brain washed cult members now?

I've heard multiple variations, yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks Bosco, I had almost forgotten about theold days over on "the other EMS forum" .

tabby

Forum Ride Along
Just wondering what you think of a 45 year old women going to become a paramedic? Seems like it is younger men in the information session.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Go fo it homie.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

subsmoke

Forum Ride Along
Well, I'll give the OP credit for doing enough homework to find this forum. While state websites and Google are great places to start, they won't turn up the perspectives that threads will.

That's why I decided to post here, thanks for understanding :)

Aside from what they've all said about finding courses and so on, I'd recommend doing a few ridealongs. I'd also recommend seriously thinking about a few things:

-Are you in reasonably good shape, physically? EMS will require things like lifting patients, walking up several flights of stairs with gear, and performing CPR.

-Do you suffer from serious motion sickness? A few of my classmates found that they couldn't be transport EMTs because of that, though they got their certs. There are non-transport jobs out there, but they're hard to come by, and a lot of schools will have you ride ambulances during training.

-Can you adapt to constantly changing sleep cycles? Regular shifts are also hard to find.

-Can you handle the sights and smells? Not just gore, but bodily fluids.

-How about the thought of doing CPR on a baby, or an abuse victim, or someone who looks just like someone you love, and having them die? (You'll lose a lot more than you save.) How about the thought of running the same people over and over again, for conditions they could manage?

-How about being treated as a taxi by entitled people who won't be very nice to you?

-Do you have a thick skin? It's pretty hard to be sensitive and survive this culture... the bickering going on in this thread isn't even a fraction of what will get thrown at you.

If the answer to all that is yes, sign up for the class. Make plans for what will happen when you get too old, or burn out, or whatever, though. Very few people manage to stay in EMS for an entire career.

I can answer yes to all of those except the "Are you in good shape?" question. :p I'm 5'11 and only 125 pounds, basically zero muscle tone. That's been my main worry for a while now, whether I'll be able to get into the shape I need for this job. I mean, I know it can be done but it's going to take a lot of hard work on my part.

Thanks for the answers you guys, even the negative ones. And you're right, I didn't really put THAT much thought into it but it's something I've been thinking about for months and honestly, it seems like a very fulfilling career to have. Thanks again for the help.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Thin Ice

I like it when stupid people discount me. It makes it all that much easier to make them look foolish later because their guard is down even more than normal

In my book, referring to any of our members as "stupid" (directly or indirectly) demeans EMTLife and what we are trying to accomplish here.

More importantly, it significantly damages trust, regardless of thousands of posts and accolades from groupies and a sleeping partner. "Groupies", now there's a word that really speaks to the discernment of your followers!

If your supporters truly cared about you, they'd call you on your disrespect as well. The fact that your contributions are valuable does not grant you license to be abusive.

This is a public warning if this happens again, usafmedic, you'll be taking a vacation without the benefit of accumulating points. And don't be surprised if my interpretation of anything you say trips my hair-trigger, you set yourself up for it.

...and cudos to the OP who had the guts to come back to a place that doesn't seem particularly safe right now to allow those who understand the purpose of this site to guide him.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's why I decided to post here, thanks for understanding :)

I can answer yes to all of those except the "Are you in good shape?" question. :p I'm 5'11 and only 125 pounds, basically zero muscle tone. That's been my main worry for a while now, whether I'll be able to get into the shape I need for this job. I mean, I know it can be done but it's going to take a lot of hard work on my part.

Thanks for the answers you guys, even the negative ones. And you're right, I didn't really put THAT much thought into it but it's something I've been thinking about for months and honestly, it seems like a very fulfilling career to have. Thanks again for the help.

Although muscular tone/fitness is important, IT IS ALL ABOUT TECHNIQUE! There is nothing more important in terms of strength training then learning good lifting and movement techniques. 5'11 and 125 means you're tall and 'lanky', but that's not a problem- you are likely capable of lifting what you weigh with minimal training, and you'll get better as you train.

EMS, for me, is the career I'm staying in. I personally love the problem-solving aspects, the ability to really help people, the ability to turn on lights and sirens and drive conservatively, and the ability to 'do something amazing', so to speak. Most of this job is routine, boring, and even depressing- but there's always another patient, one who you might be able to help. Even with basic calls, you can help, and you are sometimes a very important provider in that person's emergency. (For instance, I ran a 2y/o F a few weeks ago with a Salter-Harris I fracture to the left elbow, an injury that was a straight BLS tech, but could have easily deteriorated, and 100 years ago, may have maimed or killed her).

This career isn't about any one thing. It's not lights and sirens and adrenaline, nor is it all critical patients, nor is it all depressing and useless BS. There's great days, horrible days, and horrible days that are also great days. I've grown up in EMS, I've worked the Army's side of the equation, and I've worked some on the civilian side myself. I think that you'd best be served by this advice: go for a few third-rides with your local service, enroll in an EMT course, learn all you can, even volunteer with a local fire department or ambulance squad or other agency. You're young, intelligent, and if you're motivated, you can make a difference in someone's life.

If you have any questions, PM me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
In my book, referring to any of our members as "stupid" (directly or indirectly) demeans EMTLife and what we are trying to accomplish here.

More importantly, it significantly damages trust, regardless of thousands of posts and accolades from groupies and a sleeping partner. "Groupies", now there's a word that really speaks to the discernment of your followers!

If your supporters truly cared about you, they'd call you on your disrespect as well. The fact that your contributions are valuable does not grant you license to be abusive.

This is a public warning if this happens again, usafmedic, you'll be taking a vacation without the benefit of accumulating points. And don't be surprised if my interpretation of anything you say trips my hair-trigger, you set yourself up for it.

...and cudos to the OP who had the guts to come back to a place that doesn't seem particularly safe right now to allow those who understand the purpose of this site to guide him.

As a USAF follower, just because we don't call/shame him in public (like you are doing...) doesn't mean it isn't done. I've told him more than once he comes off like a jerk.

He was responding to being directly attacked... I don't see a public shaming for the person who verbally attacked him though??

Strange.

How were others not guiding him? They told him to research it more... It's VERY sound advice since many people get into the field without a firm grasp on what the job really entails and get burned out, bitter and miserable.

I still believe telling him to research the job more is the BEST advice that's been offered on this thread.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

I believe that allowing people to persist in their stupidity- as differentiated from ignorance, which is simply the act of not knowing any better through no fault of your own- is exactly counterproductive to what we are here for. This is an educational forum and thus if we are unable to educate and through the use of verbal bluntness if necessary, then this is nothing other than a big ol' circle jerk just like EMTCity. Why not simply start locking down every thread that is remotely confrontational or might result in people disagreeing? G-d knows we can't have that. We're supposed to hug, strum the guitar and sing Kumbayah while we pat ourselves on the back about how great each and everyone of us is. Is that it? That would explain why Ridryder no longer posts, Summit was banned, I'm on the road to being persona non grata and I would imagine that quite a few others are as well.

So how is it that I get insulted and your response is to blame me for it and then also insult my girlfriend as well in public? This could have just as easily been passed along through a PM. "Accolades of a sleeping partner"...excuse me. Where's your 'vacation' if we're supposed to be nice to one another, even if the other one spits in our face? Of all of the CLs, you are the last one I expected this sort of low brow, troglodytic response from. It wouldn't have been so bad if you had also smacked Rocketmedic and especially if you had left Kat out of it. You can think whatever you'd like about me, but gentlemen don't resort to insulting the women in each other's lives simply as a means of "winning" an argument.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
...regardless of thousands of posts and accolades from groupies and a sleeping partner.

Thanks, Firetender. My opinion of you just hit rock bottom. :censored::censored::censored::censored: off.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
USAF, you come across as a jerk at times, and I really don't think that it's appropriate to be so blunt with a new member, much less one who has not yet even begun to enter EMS. That attitude really isn't productive in this case. Now, if I posted asking someone to tell me how to RSI someone, then yes, that attitude would be more appropriate.

I'm not here to hurt feelings, and I'm not going to argue over the Internet. I do think that you need to work on your communications somewhat to avoid situations like this, as do I. Sorry if I offended your girlfriend.
-Robert

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
USAF, you come across as a jerk at times, and I really don't think that it's appropriate to be so blunt with a new member, much less one who has not yet even begun to enter EMS. That attitude really isn't productive in this case. Now, if I posted asking someone to tell me how to RSI someone, then yes, that attitude would be more appropriate.

I'm not here to hurt feelings, and I'm not going to argue over the Internet. I do think that you need to work on your communications somewhat to avoid situations like this, as do I. Sorry if I offended your girlfriend.
-Robert

He wasn't referring to you insulting me. He was referring to Firetender.