Wahooooo!!! Cut the cake and let's party!!!!!

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, I am really jacked up right now and no I haven't been smoking anything at all tonight. I just got off the phone with the DIRECTOR (yes, the DIRECTOR) of our ambulance co. And, he picked none other than yours truly to enter the EMT-B program that the company sponsors every year. What luck!!!

They only pick ONE (ONE!!!) person a year to enter this program with full ride (EVERYTHING) will be paid for by the county, the company, and a federal grant!!! It's a 60 week class; 2 nights a week, 3-4 hours a night, not 5 blocks from where I live!! HAHAHA! I will be 17 in December so by the time I complete the program I will be just under 18 so I will be an EMT right out of high school!!

So, to everyone who said I would never make it to training, IN YOUR FACE!!! For everyone else, squeeze over and make space in the EMS family for another faith-driven caregiver!!!! I START CLASSES IN 2 WEEKS; MY ORIENTATION IS TOMORROW!!! Finally, after all these years of seing everybody do wrong (I live in a cruddy drug infested neighborhood) I will finally be able to do something to HELP the community, not sell poison to teenage kids like the neighbors do.

But wait, there's more. Because this is a hands-on program, I will be working with crews all around the state!!! It will be just me and 4 other people from other cities around here, so it will be awesome!! The program covers statewide transport to events and special encounters and you even get lunch! AND IT WONT COST ME A DIME!!!

So, what did u guys get me as a congrats present? lol just kiddin' on that one. :)

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! good luck. Glad you can get your dream going so soon.

Just wondering, will you be able to do ride alongs before you are 18? It's worth asking.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats! What a great start. Good luck. You're on the way to a new adventure.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! good luck. Glad you can get your dream going so soon.

Just wondering, will you be able to do ride alongs before you are 18? It's worth asking.
Yes I can. I have already rode 3 times, a total of 76 hours (we run 12 hr shift here but 1 night we went over some). Thanks for the encouragement. My aunt is p.o.'d that I didn't become a nurse like she did but I think she's still happy for me. really I dont care what other people think cuz this is what makes my life worth getting up in the morning for. it's what I love and it's what I'm gonna do, regardless of what others say. they can live their life however they want but I'm gonna live my life how I want- and I WANNA BE A PARAMEDIC SOMEDAY!!

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations! I wish you the best!

The first time I was an EMT-B, I was 19 years old and loved every minute of it.

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Sweet. I'm sure you'll be a paramedic in no time. Check if they have that same scholarship while you're in Basic. Might as well jump right into medic school.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have already rode 3 times, a total of 76 hours (we run 12 hr shift

3x12=36.

reaper

Working Bum
Lay off the caffine man. It affects your thinking, like doing math. Not something you want on the job!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Med math. Horrible, horrible med math.

I have lidocaine clocks and dopamine drips running through my dreams.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats. As I said in the PMs, if you need any help let me know.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Thats awesome!!! Congrats to you, very proud of you for sticking to your guns and following your dream. :p

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats!!!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Congrats!

60 WEEK Class? As in over a year? Theres something wrong with that equation, even if its just 8rs/week.

EDIT: It all makes sense, I presume you meant 16 weeks.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Congrats, and good luck with the program!

I know some counties that let people start EMT-B training at 16, so I'm not too surprised. I don't think I've ever worked with anyone younger than 18, but it's not like I'm in the habit of asking everyone I meet how old they are... :)

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats... I am hoping for a medic scholarship in the fall so lets hope I have the same luck you had!

once again congrats and good luck with it!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats, and good luck with the program!

Man, I need to remember to full wake up before reading posts here.....I thought that said "pogrom" for a second. :lol: Off to get coffee....