W. Colorado Paramedic jobs?

Medic2643

Forum Probie
Just wondering if anyone has any information about Paramedic jobs in W. Colorado? Pros and Cons, looking for info, may be relocating. I've been a Medic for >10yrs and recently completed a Critical Care Class but haven't tested for FP-C yet?

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
There's not a ton of options that I know of because there aren't much in the way of population centers. Eagle County Paramedic Services is very good. Durango and Grand Junction are fire-based, I'm not sure what hiring opportunities are like there. Flight For Life Colorado has a helicopter in Durango. There's been an explosion of air medical helicopters in Colorado, so there may be some more options in the high country/Western Slope.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Check classic lifeguard and Tristate careflight they might have openings in Colorado

OP
OP
Medic2643

Medic2643

Forum Probie
There's not a ton of options that I know of because there aren't much in the way of population centers. Eagle County Paramedic Services is very good. Durango and Grand Junction are fire-based, I'm not sure what hiring opportunities are like there. Flight For Life Colorado has a helicopter in Durango. There's been an explosion of air medical helicopters in Colorado, so there may be some more options in the high country/Western Slope.
Thank you!

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I would look into the safety record of TriState Careflight before you make decisions. They are always hiring, and recently had a crash. Two things which stick out to me. A job isn't worth your life.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I would look into the safety record of TriState Careflight before you make decisions. They are always hiring, and recently had a crash. Two things which stick out to me. A job isn't worth your life.
They're expanding rather fast which to me is a flag... I'm undeciced about them since I have Tristate bases all around me. Good safety record.other than the recent wreck, which should never have happened... weather sucked and two other Tristate bases turned down the mission

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah agree, thats a big fail in their safety culture and procedures. Althought Classic Lifeguard doesn't have a great track record. Thats the problem with a lot of those midwest operations. Rapid expansion, cheap single engine airframes most of the time, and for profit organizations which leads to cost cutting to make more money. If i lived in such an area I would really have to evaluated continuing in the air medical profession.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There are not many fulltime paramedic positions in western Colorado as the population just isn't there to support them. Most of the ski towns have full time EMS, but they may only staff a few ambulances per shift, if that. Expect to work part time for such an agency for a bit before being picked up fulltime when a vacancy needs to be filled. As stated, many of these communities run "fire based" EMS, meaning that the ambulance says "fire rescue" on the side is staffed by individuals with FF qualifications, but they are likely the FD's only fulltime staff unless they are in a "larger" ski town. Let me know here or by PM if you have area specific questions, I've spent some time mapping out the state by employment options.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah agree, thats a big fail in their safety culture and procedures. Althought Classic Lifeguard doesn't have a great track record. Thats the problem with a lot of those midwest operations. Rapid expansion, cheap single engine airframes most of the time, and for profit organizations which leads to cost cutting to make more money. If i lived in such an area I would really have to evaluated continuing in the air medical profession.
Tristate does tend to fly a lot of dual engine, expensive, machines. One of the largest fleets of 109s that im aware of in HEMS. I've not seen much on Classic though. Just that they just opened a base in NM

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya I have seen they have a fleet of 109's. I have never really been a fan of them. They are a sweet looking aircraft, and avionics/instrument panels in the new ones are pretty, but they crash alot for some unknown reason. Don't know if that's a pilot workload thing or what. I like my EC145...and I would never fly in a single engine airframe.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ya I have seen they have a fleet of 109's. I have never really been a fan of them. They are a sweet looking aircraft, and avionics/instrument panels in the new ones are pretty, but they crash alot for some unknown reason. Don't know if that's a pilot workload thing or what. I like my EC145...and I would never fly in a single engine airframe.
For a bird that's been in service in various configurations, including military service, since 71, it didn't look like the 109 has too bad of a rack record.
They are also flying the AW119 in some areas, at least out here. It's one if the few single engine birds I would fly in (the 109, however is a twin, not single).

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I know the 109 is a twin, when I said I would never fly in a single I was referring to Classic Lifeguard. Should have made that more clear. They are in Bell singles.... The industry as I am sure you know, is divided on people that would or would not fly in a single engine airframe. People talk all the time about the statistics show no difference blah blah blah, but I would like to see an update of those statistics adding the past few years into that mix. The industry has been putting A-Stars into the ground at an alarming rate. In our company, we had an aircraft lose an engine despite crazy high safety and maintenance standards. They were departing one of our bases, which is based on a pier, the one in my pic and lost it over the inner harbor in Feb. Had they not of had the second engine they would have crashed into 50 degree water temps and died. These companies in the midwest which fly in hot, humid, dusty, and sometimes mountainous terrain in singles to save money is not something I am interested in putting my life at risk for just to say I fly.. I also like the ability to go IFR if needed and have it not be an emergency because your in a non-IFR single, which normally ends badly. Unfortunately with so many air medical bases popping up, over utilization, and a lot of places under pressure to fly, crashes are going to continue to happen.

TransportJockey, are you currently flying now...? You obviously have all the credentials to be an asset to a great program. Hit me up via PM and we can continue chatting instead of on the thread if you want.
CANMAN