Volunteer or Flexible Part Time in Los Angeles?

Foogoo

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, very long time lurker here. I would like to put my EMT card to work but I work full time in an unrelated career and have additional obligations now and then on the weekends. I'm not looking to change careers or make money, I just want to have the opportunity to do something productive outside the office.

Are there any volunteer or part time opportunities in the LA area? Or part time AO or ambulance positions that are flexible with when you're able to work? I know there's CERT and MRC, but to be honest, those don't sound very exciting. Thank you.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a lot of transport companies in LA as I'm sure you already know. Most of them have part time employees....as far as which ones hire someone new to be a part time employee vs you have to be a full timer to drop down to part time, I honestly don't know. I'd say your best bet is asking each company you're interested in individually, whether that's simply looking through the or websites at job openings and seeing if they specify ot straight up calling and asking.

Beyond that, there are a few special event standby companies (Symons Ambulance springs to mind, though there are some others, I'm just not too familiar with them).

As far as volunteers....pickings are slim to none. Sierra Madre Fire Dept and La Habra Heights Fire Dept are staffed by volunteers, but you have to be a fire academy graduate and it's still pretty competitive to get in, there's some search and rescue teams that are volunteer as well, but you won't exactly be doing a whole lot of EMT stuff with those necessarily

OP
OP
F

Foogoo

Forum Ride Along
link/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's my main option right now. I did talk to them before and they expect more hours than the stated minimum. Not a big deal, but I am a little hesitant since I have some months where I'm swamped and have zero time available.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Fred Miller of Emergency Concepts runs a volunteer emt group in Los Angeles

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never heard of them until now and their site doesn't say much. Do you have any other info on the group he runs?
He runs the bobby sherman emt foundation. They volunteer for the rose parade, special Olympics, marathons etc . He's always in need of volunteers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk