Volunteer in Central Jersey

Babydoe

Forum Probie
Hi

I am just about to complete the emt course I'm taking, and am looking for a way to put the skills to use. The reason I took the emt course is because of a sick family member and I was hoping that by being an emt, it would be all around useful. In order to keep up (or more accurately, gain) proper emt skills, you've got to be activly involved. There are no squads around where I live that I particulary want to join, and I was wondering if someone had any good ideas for me to gain experience. I would like to do emt work about one night every two weeks, and I am open to pretty much anything. Volunteer, paid, ER room etc. My goal is just to get hands on practice.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Where in Central Jersey are you? what county?

Lots of busy volunteer squads in Central NJ, some better than others. If you want to PM me, I can probably point you in the right direction, if you tell me what towns you don't want to apply to.

OP
OP
B

Babydoe

Forum Probie
Hi

I tried PMing you, but the system won't let since I have not posted five posts yet. Go figure. I'm in Ocean County, and it does not seem to me like any of the surrounding townships such as Howell, Jackson, Lakewood, Brick etc are specifically looking for volunteers. I would either like something where I can be home at night and go out for calls, or for example do work in an ER where there is consistent work - as apposed to just sitting in a squad building all night. My real question was if there was any work for an emt besides the traditional squad that I may enjoy more.

Thanks much!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
With all the EMTs out there, your trying to have your cake and eat it too, and it doesn't work that way...Not trying to be mean but you'll be hard pressed to find an ER that will hire a tech for 1 night a week every two weeks, especially with no experience. If you wanted to be able to sit at home and be on call, you have to be within X minutes of your station. Usually no more than 10-15 at the most. Check out the vollies nearest you and see if thats plausible.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I would either like something where I can be home at night and go out for calls, or for example do work in an ER where there is consistent work - as apposed to just sitting in a squad building all night
If you want to gain experience, the best way to be doing is by being at the station. busier agencies require their members to be at the building, because the odds are greater that they will have calls. I know Jackson is pretty busy, i think their number is (732) 928-0278 (their website seems to be not set up properly), and one of my coworkers used to volunteer there before he moved.

you just got to look around and call around to your local agencies and see what they require. I don't know much about Ocean county (that's too south for me), but good luck.

btw, to be an ER tech tech takes at least 80 hrs of training, monday to friday 9am to 5pm, and that's not including any training time on the floors.

OP
OP
B

Babydoe

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone for your input! Just to clarify so that you understand where I'm coming from; the reason I took the course was in order to better be able to treat and help a family member. As such, I do not necessarily need to join a squad the same way others who become emt's want to join the local squad (in order to give back to the community, to be part of the squad, etc). I am not looking to get off easy, rather I am open to any way of practice that would give me basic emt skills even if it is not what most emt's expect or want to do with their time.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
In your case, it's a tool!

the reason I took the course was in order to better be able to treat and help a family member.

And you're telling us you really don't want to apply emergency skills. You should instead seek some sort of a hospital volunteer position in the area you want to learn more in and USE your EMT card as a Qualification!

No reason to neglect the accomplishment. It says something about you, use it to your advantage.