Volunteer during disasters

MikloHP

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about volunteering out of the state you are licensed in during a natural disaster? What rules apply and what scope can you practice under? Who oversees your practice? Funding for supplies?

My wife is a Doc and her and I want to creat our own mobile ER to respond to natural disasters. Does anyone have any experience with responding or volunteering?

would you not respond with an established relief organization?

Join a local Task Force or DMAT.

Get involved with an established relief group. Project Medishare is a good place to start.

Volunteer w the red cross or a similar agency. They would probably love to have you and your wife since she's a doc. It would add als capabilities since she may be able to delegate to you in a disaster.

In summary the mobile er/hospital in a bag is a great idea but just do it w an agency. If the pt needs more than basic mfr skills then your wife could operate under her license as a doc and may be able to delegate to you.

Our thought is to be there following behind storm chasers so we would be the first responders. That's when people would need us most. We kind of want to be independent of any organizations. We are working on getting funding from FEMA however. We just want to hear from anyone who might know how things work during disaster situations as far as your ability to practice within your scope.

I'm sure others will chime in as to how bad of an idea that actually is.

If you want to be helpful, get involved with an established, recognized emergency response group. Going into a disaster area and "freelancing" is just a recipe for trouble.

Our thought is to be there following behind storm chasers so we would be the first responders. That's when people would need us most. We kind of want to be independent of any organizations. We are working on getting funding from FEMA however. We just want to hear from anyone who might know how things work during disaster situations as far as your ability to practice within your scope.

You need a medical director. You have a doctor and you're like the doctors little finger. Join a CERT team they do disasters all the time. Other than that, like DEMedic said....

States requiring disaster medical assistance use Federal resources or resources from other states through EMAC. Responders who are part of an organized response are able to work to their level of training IAW applicable mutual aid agreements. If you just follow the storm chasers to help out you're not part of the formal response and would have no legal standing.

I seriously doubt that you will find FEMA funding, as FEMA tends not to be a responder per se, but rather a facilitator and money source. All disasters are local and all state and Federal response is based on the needs of the impacted and the items they request.

You would be better off geting involved with an organization that is already plugged in the system, like DMAT, Red Cross, etc then trying to freelance.

Much obliged to you Pavehawk for providing a useful and constructive response. Certainly the first I've received.

Miklo, you should understand that unless you literally roam the nation looking for major disasters, you are at a minimum a day or two away from anything thats not literally your hometown. When Moore was pasted, Oklahoma was literally able to maintain normal operations while locally treating all casualties. Katrina-scale disasters are a different story, but then, look at the ARC. You simply dont have the clout and administrative force needed to make a difference. Locals will look at you and shrug, because at that point, you're just another Ricky Rescue, MD or not.

When we were responding to Moore, we had a neonatal internist or some super-advanced MD show up on our triage point, asking how she could help. I politely told her to go to her job at OU, since her utility on-scene was nil, as all critical patients were already gone and trapped patients would either be minor or dead.

Your wife may be an MD, and you a Pmed, but freelancing really doesnt work.

Miklo, you should understand that unless you literally roam the nation looking for major disasters, you are at a minimum a day or two away from anything thats not literally your hometown. When Moore was pasted, Oklahoma was literally able to maintain normal operations while locally treating all casualties. Katrina-scale disasters are a different story, but then, look at the ARC. You simply dont have the clout and administrative force needed to make a difference. Locals will look at you and shrug, because at that point, you're just another Ricky Rescue, MD or not.

When we were responding to Moore, we had a neonatal internist or some super-advanced MD show up on our triage point, asking how she could help. I politely told her to go to her job at OU, since her utility on-scene was nil, as all critical patients were already gone and trapped patients would either be minor or dead.

Your wife may be an MD, and you a Pmed, but freelancing really doesnt work.

I couldn't agree with this post more.

Cities and towns have increased their training and readiness since 2001 (9/11), 2004 (FL Hurricanes) and 2005 (Katrina). The need for "OMG, we need everyone!" just isn't realistic anymore.

Great example with Moore listed above, but even the Joplin tornado which took out a hospital was handled with a sense of preparedness and readiness. There were no administrators praying for an out-of-the-area MD to come help save them. Plans existed and were put into action.

I'm glad RM40 mentioned the Red Cross because I was going to as well. The Red Cross (ARC) has a Disaster Heath Service function where trained, certified medical providers volunteer in times of emergencies. During events like Katrina, Joplin, Alabama or even Moore, volunteers are deployed to those areas to help. And if you're listed as available, can usually be deployed as soon as the next day.

The need for medical care is not only in the immediate minutes after an event, but days to weeks after. While leading the response in two counties in Alabama in 2011, I had a handful of DHS volunteers who, at the end of the day, were reporting to me the people they had seen. People who had broken hands, lacerations, all from post storm clean up. There was no public transportation system and pretty much all of the cars in the damage path were destroyed. It was until these teams came to their neighborhood did they get the chance to 'be seen' by someone with medical knowledge and equipment.

During downtime, you can volunteer at your local Chapter, helping prepare for these types of events. This can include training, maintaining equipment, practicing, drilling, volunteer recruitment, not to mention forming partnerships and/or relationships with area agencies.

While I commend your passion about wanting to be there when the event happens, unless it's a doomsday type event, you may be better off working with an established agency or organization.

I have one FEMA deployment under my belt from last year. My friend Doug (who is a paramedic / RN) and I were deployed to Long Island in support of Hurricane Sandy for 18 days. We basically lived out of the back of our unit, and were moved around to wherever our Task Force (25 units) were deployed. Doug was our Strike Team (5 units) Leader.

As I understand it, a company called American Medical Response (AMR) holds the primary contract with our Federal Government to provide disaster response resources. In situations where AMR is overwhelmed and cannot directly support the mission, they subcontract out to other companies across the country. Doug owns a LLC event standby ambulance service, who is approved to directly participate. The approval process is quite lengthy and not something that can be completed in a short period of time, hence once you get approved its definitely worth hanging on to that foot in the door. I am not able to give anything other than my direct observations, and since I have only one deployment I would have to defer to Doug for the nuts and bolts of how it all works.

If you could send me a private message, I could put you in touch with Doug. I cannot send you a private message because I have to have 5 posts before I can send them, lol so I am not able to do anything but post this on your thread.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors, and hope that you can find a place to put you and your wife's talents to good use during a disaster.

Happy 4th of July!

R. Yoon
Maryland EMT-B

I have one FEMA deployment under my belt from last year. My friend Doug (who is a paramedic / RN) and I were deployed to Long Island in support of Hurricane Sandy for 18 days. We basically lived out of the back of our unit, and were moved around to wherever our Task Force (25 units) were deployed. Doug was our Strike Team (5 units) Leader.

As I understand it, a company called American Medical Response (AMR) holds the primary contract with our Federal Government to provide disaster response resources. In situations where AMR is overwhelmed and cannot directly support the mission, they subcontract out to other companies across the country. Doug owns a LLC event standby ambulance service, who is approved to directly participate. The approval process is quite lengthy and not something that can be completed in a short period of time, hence once you get approved its definitely worth hanging on to that foot in the door. I am not able to give anything other than my direct observations, and since I have only one deployment I would have to defer to Doug for the nuts and bolts of how it all works.

If you could send me a private message, I could put you in touch with Doug. I cannot send you a private message because I have to have 5 posts before I can send them, lol so I am not able to do anything but post this on your thread.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors, and hope that you can find a place to put you and your wife's talents to good use during a disaster.

Happy 4th of July!

R. Yoon
Maryland EMT-B

More than likely I was out there with you guys. 21 days at the Forward Operating Base Floyd-Bennett.

Everything has pretty much already been stated. There isn't much you can do as a volunteer. Your best option would be to join an organization that does responses (Red cross, SAR Teams, etc).

If federal help is requested FEMA will start using their resources. AMR (American Medical Response) is the only ambulance company that has a direct contract with FEMA for disaster responses. AMR will sub-contract out to other companies to be able to supply the amount of ambulances and/or personal needed. As already stated there is a lengthy process involving a lot of paperwork to be a sub-contractor for AMR. You have to either be an employee for AMR or for one of the sub-contracted companies in order to be utilized.

Everything has pretty much already been stated. There isn't much you can do as a volunteer. Your best option would be to join an organization that does responses (Red cross, SAR Teams, etc).

If federal help is requested FEMA will start using their resources. AMR (American Medical Response) is the only ambulance company that has a direct contract with FEMA for disaster responses. AMR will sub-contract out to other companies to be able to supply the amount of ambulances and/or personal needed. As already stated there is a lengthy process involving a lot of paperwork to be a sub-contractor for AMR. You have to either be an employee for AMR or for one of the sub-contracted companies in order to be utilized.

And AMR DRT/ERT deployments are coveted pretty highly cause its a large bit of money for the provider. I can't wait for another deployment lol. I wanna buy more toys

And AMR DRT/ERT deployments are coveted pretty highly cause its a large bit of money for the provider. I can't wait for another deployment lol. I wanna buy more toys

Yep. I can't complain about that at all. I was in heaven

Yep. I can't complain about that at all. I was in heaven

I've done the Isaac deployment and a personnel shortage deployment to NH. Missed sandy cause I was doing my CCT clinicals lol

I've done the Isaac deployment and a personnel shortage deployment to NH. Missed sandy cause I was doing my CCT clinicals lol

Should have been there. Longest EMS deployment in history :P

Back