Value of Continuing Education?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would say that you are not getting QUALITY CEUs. Our Continuing Education is MONTHLY and is relavant and valuable. We do not wait until the end of the licensure cycle and attend a "refresher" course... We do our refresher on a continuos basis. Training should be engaging and informative. You should walk away from training with a better understanding of a task or topic.
Pretty broad statement you made. Just because it works for you does not mean it is the best for everyone

Last edited:

AIR

Forum Probie
If someone walks away from a training seeing NO VALUE in the education they just received, wouldn't you say there was a problem with the delivery of the education???

AIR

Forum Probie
Pretty broad statement you made. Just because it works for you does not mean it is the best for wvery9.
oh... and great way to make people feel welcome in the group. Thumbs up to you.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If someone walks away from a training seeing NO VALUE in the education they just received, wouldn't you say there was a problem with the delivery of the education???
I’d mostly agree. Caveat? There are a multitude of different instructor types, as well as different learner-types.

This is from a guy who’s had to find the instructor-types that best suited me. So, I speak from a firsthand point of view.

I feel like at some point it is up to the learner to find what suits them best. Now, if you’re department puts on interesting and engaging Con-ed all of the time, kudos to you and your department.

I think the above paragraph is often the exception and not the general rule. Luckily for people (such as myself) who are self-driven, there’s tons of resources available tailored to almost any type of learner that is engaging these days.
Haha, wut? Cheers.

ETA: I’d also venture to guess that even in the strongest CE driven agencies there are people who have a hard time with it. Again, individual learner-types.

I am speaking from firsthand knowledge having a bit of a time with certain instructors delivery methods. I don’t think it was them per se, but what works for me won’t always work for the person to my left or right.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I’ll say that I’ve worked at agencies that run the gamut. Some with amazingly engaging, focused continuing education and others with absolutely none.

I think if you find ConEd that works for you, you‘ll gravitate towards the style that suits you best. I tend to learn well and enjoy group settings where I can interact with the other participants and the leader. There’s a trauma center that does quarterly ConEd sessions that are formatted like TED talks. Really good stuff and I always take away interesting material from them. Not everybody learns that way though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
All I did was point out that you made an overly broad statement about something and that what works for you may not work for everyone.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It could be due to a variety of causes. Instructor style, individual learning style, the content of the CEU, course restrictions and time constraints, learning environment, etc. The delivery of the education is only a small part of it. See @NomadicMedic and @VentMonkey posts above.

It's great that you are getting relevant and valuable CEUs from your agency, but that is not the norm every where (though it should be).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Our Continuing Education is MONTHLY and is relavant and valuable... We do our refresher on a continuos basis. Training should be engaging and informative. You should walk away from training with a better understanding of a task or topic.
Are you sure about that?

Con ed is composed of multiple parts: just-in-time training (typically in response to something), mandatory stuff (OSHA/bloodborne pathogens. as well as documenting skill competency on required skills), and building on what you know with new stuff. I actually agree, the weekend refreshers are typically a waste of time (because they rehash what you went over), especially if you are working full time, you should be evaluated by supervisors and QA on a regular basis to verify competency, but they do satisfy certain requirements. But they are great for bringing a new hire up to speed, and ensure everyone is on the same baseline.

I'm going to assume your providing education; just so you know, from one instructor to another, while you might like the con ed provided, the recipients of that educations might not feel the same way. But it should be both relevant and valuable to those in attendance.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
Continuing education is required for workers to stay current with the latest developments, skills, and new technologies required for their fields. Certain professions also require continuing education to comply with laws, remain licensed or certified, or maintain membership in an association or licensing body.