Unregulated cities

JPINFV

Gadfly

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

JPINFV

Gadfly
Policy does not equal law - you should know that.

Will people go to jail for violating it? No.

Can sanctions be brought against providers and agencies who regularly violate county policy? Sure. Not much of an effective difference in my mind, but I'm sure it'll comfort people who find themselves without a card (be it state or county accreditation) or companies without permission to operate an ambulance.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Boston is "regulated" so to speak.

From the City of Boston's EMS Service Zone Plan:

No ambulance service shall provide primary ambulance response within the City of Boston unless it is acting pursuant to a service zone agreement or agreement to provide back-up services. When an ambulance service other than Boston EMS receives a call to provide primary ambulance response within the City of Boston that is not pursuant to a provider contract and a service zone agreement, it must immediately refer the call to Boston EMS. (170.355.B.1 + 4)

This is in accordance with Massachusetts General Law 170.355:

When an ambulance service other than the primary ambulance service receives a call to provide primary ambulance response that is not pursuant to a provider contract and a service zone agreement, it must immediately refer the call to the primary ambulance service.

Obviously what exactly "primary ambulance response" is could be open to interpretation, especially private companies that do not have EMD.

I have also run a few calls in which the patient called us directly for ambulance, the dispatcher called Boston EMS, and Boston EMS just told us to take the call.

Also note that if an ambulance company is contracted by a facility to provide primary ambulance services, there is no need to refer the call to Boston EMS.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I actually had a 911 call where the pt stated he didn't want 911, he wanted a local IFT service. We had him sign an SOR, gave him the number for the private service, and marked in service.

Also, this past week, almost all EMS in my city has been out of service for funerals. We had IFT and 911 from out of county coming in to cover, even though none of them had a contract.

OP
OP
J

Jgervin

Forum Probie
What city is that?

Where I am from if you dial 911, you get the local FD EMS.

But you are free to call anyone you want. So if calling one of the less than reputable, private dialysis derby medicare raping services is what you want, go for it.

(although depending on the area, that might actually be better than the local FD)

OP
OP
J

Jgervin

Forum Probie
In Austin, Tx it's law. In fact, if you are an IFT an transporting some old person from a rest home and they crash the IFT crew has to pullover and call 911 and have a city ALS come get the patient. I assume most don't and just keep going, but its on the books that they are required to do this.

For those of you that are claiming it is the law that emergency calls must be transferred to the contracted 911 agency, please cite your source for this claim (be it state, county, or municipal law) and specify the area where it applies.

Because it is NOT the law in the entire country.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
In Austin, Tx it's law. In fact, if you are an IFT an transporting some old person from a rest home and they crash the IFT crew has to pullover and call 911 and have a city ALS come get the patient. I assume most don't and just keep going, but its on the books that they are required to do this.

So much for looking out for the patient.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Again, I ask that members post the proof to these types of claims so that we can all go see for ourselves and this can serve as a reference thread for future discussions of this topic.

Merely stating it is the law doesn't meet this criteria...please provide proof to support the claim.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Basis for this claim?

Reference law is an entire specialty... I cannot simply hyperlink you "Basis for this claim", it should be common knowledge.

however I guess I can give you an example,

CCR title 22 grants authority to LEMSAS to implement policy not covered explicitly in title 22. these polices are then included in title 22 "by reference", they are now considered statute also known as "Law".

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Reference law is an entire specialty... I cannot simply hyperlink you "Basis for this claim", it should be common knowledge.

however I guess I can give you an example,

CCR title 22 grants authority to LEMSAS to implement policy not covered explicitly in title 22. these polices are then included in title 22 "by reference", they are now considered statute also known as "Law".
The problem with phrases like "it should be common knowledge" is that knowledge doesn't seem to be all that common in today's society.

I've lost track of the number of times people on this forum have said "it's the law" only to find out what they should be saying is "I think it should be the law" or "I was told by a friend of my cousin that it's the law".

And not every state or region implements reference law like California.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
And not every state or region implements reference law like California.

you are correct, I should added that to my explanation. you may edit it in if you wish.

to those who do not know, refrence law is a way for the legislature to "cross-refence others, a way to include other sections into various laws. typically the section will stay something along the lines of (this quote is fictious and is not included in law) "...firefighter training and safety standards shall be determined by NFPA 1901, and will be included herein by refrence..." it allows NFPA to change the standards without having to rewrite the law books.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No need to edit the post, as long as correct information is posted in this thread for others to view and research on their own.