Uniforms.

The way I see it EMS students should wear a uniform. Because fire recruits and police recruits wear a uniform during their training. If we want to be considered equal to the other emergency service then we should adopt the wearing of a uniform while in training, it's the professional thing to do. Also as previously mentioned having a uniform requirement will eliminate the what do I wear to school decision.

The way I see it EMS students should wear a uniform. Because fire recruits and police recruits wear a uniform during their training. If we want to be considered equal to the other emergency service then we should adopt the wearing of a uniform while in training, it's the professional thing to do. Also as previously mentioned having a uniform requirement will eliminate the what do I wear to school decision.

I would say we should wear what doctors and other medical professionals wear during education. We are a medical profession and should follow their example rather than the example of non medical professions like fire and LE.

around where i work they do wear a uniform. it looks professional they are issued one shirt and have to buy everything else but i think its worth it.

I fear the idea that someone who can't decide what to wear to school will someday be making life or death medical decisions.

I would say we should wear what doctors and other medical professionals wear during education. We are a medical profession and should follow their example rather than the example of non medical professions like fire and LE.

We are also a public safety profession. If we want to be compared to other medical professions then increase the minimum education requirements.
it should go like this
EMTB 6 mos
EMTI 2 yrs
Paramedic 4Yrs
The EMS profession needs to increase the education and to be more selective on who is admitted like it is for medical school.

We are also a public safety profession. If we want to be compared to other medical professions then increase the minimum education requirements.
it should go like this
EMTB 6 mos
EMTI 2 yrs
Paramedic 4Yrs
The EMS profession needs to increase the education and to be more selective on who is admitted like it is for medical school.

Almost got it.

No I EMT B 2 years.

We are medical. So lets learn medicine people.

Yes, but I've seen many medics who wear a uniform and seemingly go out of their way to look unprofessional. Dirty or faded shirts, untucked, unshaven, wearing ball hats backward, etc. This could equally give the teacher the opportunity to see just how professional one presents him or herself.

Do I know who you are talking about?................................;)

The one student that comes to my mind every time the uniform discussion comes up is a girl who was on her third attempt to snag a firefighter husband by taking the volunteer Firefighter 1 class which was taught at a nearby career firestation. She would show up with her overweight form jammed into spandex and lycra, with glittery crop top t-shirts, flip flops, and long acrylic nails. She had enough Perfume and makeup on to classify her as a hazmat site. I don't know what agency under what thought process was continually sponsoring her for the class, but she dropped out eventually.

That would almost be enough to make me drop out.

lol, love the "HAZMAT site" thing!!!
:P

The way I see it EMS students should wear a uniform. Because fire recruits and police recruits wear a uniform during their training. If we want to be considered equal to the other emergency service then we should adopt the wearing of a uniform while in training, it's the professional thing to do.
I disagree on all counts. As a profession, we are not fire or police recruits. And I have no desire to be considered "equal" to those persons. I am a medical professional, and I consider myself and my profession well above those other jobs. Why should we lower ourselves to the lowest common denominator? As already mentioned, no other medical profession wears uniforms to class. Why should we do something different? What does it add to the equation that is positive for the profession? You really need to give me something more profound than the old, "Well, everyone else does it!" Especially when everyone else is not doing it.

Daily uniform wear in the classroom is a BAD idea on several different levels.

First and foremost, it identifies every nimrod in your class as a future medic and member of your program. So when they are outside smoking and throwing their butts down on the ground, playing grabass with the other students, being loud and obnoxious, telling off-color stories or jokes, leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, driving like a maniac in the parking lot, or any number of other embarrassing behaviors, that is a black mark against the entire class and the entire program. I didn't watch the video posted, but there are plenty of embarrassing videos from the RCC program to be found. And their instructors get tired of having to defend them.

Second, putting on that uniform should be instilled in students as something done on special occasions, with special purpose, and with a sense of pride. It should not become a daily routine to be taken for granted. If it becomes just another unreasonable requirement that you are being forced to do (as it has in Sasha's case), then the students lose respect for what the uniform represents. Instead of it being something they take pride in, and take care to wear correctly, it becomes nothing more than another item from their closet. This totally defeats the purpose of the so-called "para-military" approach.

And, of course, it wears out the uniform too quickly. By the end of the course, the dark blue pants have become light gray. The white shirts are also a dingy light gray, with chili stains and cigarette burns in them. That really helps our image, doesn't it? Keep them in the closet until it is time to face the public, and they stay in good condition.

Then there is the whole issue of what you were doing before you came to class. This isn't high school. This isn't the military. This is adult education. Working adults often must come to class from work. There is no reasonable accommodation for them to change into a uniform at the school. And why should they have to change from a suit and tie into BDUs and a denim "job shirt" just to sit in a lecture hall? It's absurd.

There is some valid theory to the "para-military" approach to education. However, EMS is not an appropriate place for that theory. And most any school that places a heavy emphasis on such theory is strongly suspect of not knowing enough about adult education to be teaching anything, much less medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:
First and foremost, it identifies every nimrod in your class as a future medic and member of your program. So when they are outside smoking and throwing their butts down on the ground, playing grabass with the other students, being loud and obnoxious, telling off-color stories or jokes, leaving the bathroom without washing their hands, driving like a maniac in the parking lot, or any number of other embarrassing behaviors, that is a black mark against the entire class and the entire program. I didn't watch the video posted, but there are plenty of embarrassing videos from the RCC program to be found. And their instructors get tired of having to defend them.

My experience is different.

Our instructors did not tolerate any of the above actions. In our environment(a major university teaching hospital), these actions would be promptly reported to our instructors and be grounds for dismissal. The staff knew our uniform as we were part of the emergency medicine department.

In street clothes, we could have been considered just another Joe Schmo or college student in the hospital for any reason and doing the above actions.

Wearing a uniform doesn't stop people from misbehaving. It simply makes them identifiable when they do.

Considering that there is ZERO benefit to wearing the uniform to class everyday, why would you want to risk the down side? The benefit to risk ratio speaks for itself. It's stupid. If that level of anal effort were devoted to education, they might turn out some better prepared medics.

If they are easily identifiable, then they should easily held accountable for inappropriate behavior...

Absolutely. But why make them easily identifiable in the first place? Nobody yet has explained what possible benefit there could be to this that is applicable to adult, medical education.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my school we are required to wear:
-Blue Polo
-Black Pants
-Black Boots
-Black Socks

I absolutley hate the fact that we have to be in uniform. The need for a uniform shows no need. I understand the need when we are doing ride times. We also come in with clean shaves and tattoos must be covered up among with removal of piercings. The only plus is we dont have to bring our stethescope, pen lights or shears during non lab days.

At my school we are required to wear:
Grey polo w/ school embroidery and a nametag
Navy Blue Pants; EMT pants or ****ies style work pants
Black Socks
Black Boots/work shoes

we are also required to have a stethoscope and safety glasses.

I do not hate the fact that a uniform must be worn at all times; lecture, labs, clinicals, ride-a-longs. It actually gives me a sense of purpose and makes me more devoted to learning the material (even though some times I get lazy studying). When I walk into places I get looked at and treated with a little more respect than when I am in a t-shirt and blue jeans.

I just hate the fact that the polos are an ugly gray color (I look like a goomba with mine on). If they changed it to a navy blue t-shirt that said student EMT with my school name I would be a happier man, but alas I can't whine about something so insignificant. And as a point was brought up in an earlier reply, it does help at the buttcrack of dawn that you dont have to scurry around looking for clean non-wrinkled clothes to wear that probably have dog hair all over them!

it does help at the buttcrack of dawn that you dont have to scurry around looking for clean non-wrinkled clothes to wear that probably have dog hair all over them!

Hmmm. Have you tried maybe hanging clothes up in your closet? Might eliminate that problem. Or go to night school and eliminate the "butt crack of dawn" thing.

Hmmm. Have you tried maybe hanging clothes up in your closet? Might eliminate that problem. Or go to night school and eliminate the "butt crack of dawn" thing.
You can hang clothes up in the closet? I thought they belonged on the floor.

Back