Uniforms.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
I guess we had it easy! No uniforms for class. There was actually one occasion I came straight from the soccer field (with some added deoderant of course). For ride alongs and clinicals we wore any white polo, blue pants, black boots. People actually complained about that!

reaper

Working Bum
I see no problem with it and actually think it does look professional. Do you realize how many nursing classes wear the traditional white uniforms, everyday. I think they look very professional and should be an item of pride in your profession.

As stated, I think it teaches people to look professional, for when they hit the work field. I have sent multiple students home from clinicals for bad attire. They show up for ride times looking like slobs. Sorry, you don't get on my truck looking that way. If they wear uniforms everyday, then they are more likely to know how they should look.

It is all part of living in the big world. As you like to say Sasha, "pull on the big girl panties and tough it out"!!!

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have a problem with uniforms for the class. I am of the opinion that cloths make the person. If you wear a uniform even if it is matching tee -shirt and pants to class you develop a sense of unity and team work which is what is needed to be of benefit to a patient. Also as has been said I do not want to attend class only to be subjected to underware or the lack thereof or to sit and read other peoples shirts all day. If you make it through the class to work on the street with a company you will be wearing a uniform. So why not show enough pride in yourself and your chosen profession to present yourself in a professional manner while in school.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I had to wear similar in school, but, instead of polos, we had the baby blue "first responder" shirts, with patches. And everything had to be starched and pressed, long hair in high ponytails and off the face, boots polished, to high shine, at least on the toe caps, if not all over. And, our gigline had to be straight....

This was for class, lab, and clinicals.

My word! It sounds like basic training! They even inspected your gigline???

JPINFV

Gadfly
As stated, I think it teaches people to look professional, for when they hit the work field. I have sent multiple students home from clinicals for bad attire. They show up for ride times looking like slobs. Sorry, you don't get on my truck looking that way. If they wear uniforms everyday, then they are more likely to know how they should look.

I agree with sending people home from clinicals if they aren't dressed appropriately, but should we really have to teach people how to dress in class? Shouldn't dressing professionally be self evident by this time in their life? Should classes also moderate the spoken word and crack down on anyone who uses slang at any time during class as well?

rjz

Forum Crew Member
My paramedic class didn't wear uniforms, and even though it was a short 5 years ago I don't remember seeing anyone's Whale tail sticking out of the back of their pants. On that note though...I still sttend classes on a pretty regular basis and do find it distracting when I have to smell what you like to wear, stare (or try not to) down your crack, deal with your sweat shirt hood blocking the screen, and have patience while you try to adjust your clothing when it is time practice a skill.

I imagine that if I had been told to wear a uniform while in medic school I would have thoght it sucked. But the realiaty is that most of the younger crowd has no idea how to dress nicely. Granted there are members of the above mentioned crowd who do know what they are doing, however the majority do not. So what does a school do? they do what is best the the biggest amount of people and put everyone in uniform.

Wearing them gets you used to being in them, gets you used to being out in public and being aware that all eyes are on you. After all you are in "training" to be trained right?

I also think that doing PT and other paramelatary stuff is great, gets you used to the life. and keeps you helathy, god knows that we all need it.

My two cents....

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
No uniform for class. We did have to have name tags at first but that went away about 2 weeks into class.

For clinicals: white polo, name tag, black or blue EMS pants (or good looking yet still durable pants, not slacks) black socks and boots.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
No uniform for class. We did have to have name tags at first but that went away about 2 weeks into class.

For clinicals: white polo, name tag, black or blue EMS pants (or good looking yet still durable pants, not slacks) black socks and boots.

Same here.

About 6 hours into my ER rotation my nose started bleeding all over my nice white shirt. I had to bum one off of one of the ER techs!

Epi-do

I see dead people
For hospital clinicals, we had maroon scrubs that we wore. If we were on the ambulance, we were to wear a maroon polo, EMS pants, and black boots/shoes. During class, we were allowed to wear either one of those uniforms, or business casual.

The thought behind it was that we were attending a class that was located in a professional setting, so we needed to look professional. (Our classroom was on the same floor as the hospital legal staff.)

flhtci01

Forum Captain
For class and clinicals, we had our choice of white, blue or gray polos. (heard they went to only gray after our class), dark EMT or dress pants (NO jeans) with dark shoes. If not in proper attire sent home for the day and '0' for that day's grade.

Our class was at a major teaching hospital. Besides increasing everyone's professionalism, it also allowed the hospital staff to identify us as students.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
The thought behind it was that we were attending a class that was located in a professional setting, so we needed to look professional. (Our classroom was on the same floor as the hospital legal staff.)

Really? Our class was at the station. In the bay. They just pulled out the ambulances for our class. Sometimes I swear we were all high from the diesel fumes!

tydek07

Forum Captain
We did not have to wear uniforms to class. It was a very relaxed dress code for class/labs. As for clinicals and ride alongs: Navy blue pants, grey 'Paramedic Student' shirt, black boots/shoes, and name badge.

Did I like the the dress code we had? Yes
Would go to a school that had uniforms for classroom? Yes

I can see the whole uniform during class thing. It does make the class look professional and look "like one". It could maybe even bring up the confidence level of the entire class.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
This could be because I will be a student for about 8 more years (if things go right/wrong), but I don't really like uniforms for class. Dress code is fine, my high school required shirt and tie. Clinicals and labs sure require the uniform, but I want to be comfortable when sitting in my chair for 4 hours.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I told you... don't snort before work!

SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I told you not to tell anyone!:rolleyes:

On the uniform issue:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a uniform, however, if a uniform is not required, it gives the teaching staff another oppurtunity to see how professionaly the student will act.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
...however, if a uniform is not required, it gives the teaching staff another oppurtunity to see how professionaly the student will act.

Yes, but I've seen many medics who wear a uniform and seemingly go out of their way to look unprofessional. Dirty or faded shirts, untucked, unshaven, wearing ball hats backward, etc. This could equally give the teacher the opportunity to see just how professional one presents him or herself.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My schooling was all private school and I wore uniforms for the first 12 years of my education. There's an equalization that happens with everyone wearing the same thing. Another reason that some schools are going to uniforms is because its much easier to say.. "Wear this" than to list all the subjective criteria that will be used to define unoffensive or inappropriate attire.

The one student that comes to my mind every time the uniform discussion comes up is a girl who was on her third attempt to snag a firefighter husband by taking the volunteer Firefighter 1 class which was taught at a nearby career firestation. She would show up with her overweight form jammed into spandex and lycra, with glittery crop top t-shirts, flip flops, and long acrylic nails. She had enough Perfume and makeup on to classify her as a hazmat site. I don't know what agency under what thought process was continually sponsoring her for the class, but she dropped out eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
For my basic and intermediate classes, we had no uniform for classes. There was a dress code, but it was loosely enforced at best. Clinical dress was a grey polo with school logo, blue or black uniform pants, black socks, black boots.

My paramedic class required the same uniform for class, lab, and clinical shifts. Navy polo with school logo, dark t-shirt, blue uniform pants, black socks, black boots.

I do think the uniform in class provided a little equalization of students, provided confidence, and lessened distractions.

I don't have a strong view either way about uniforms in class; but I am big on professional uniform appearances while working or doing clinicals. Boots shined, shirts pressed, any dirt/salt wiped off black pants after each call, etc. It says a lot and enstills trust and respect by patients, first responders, and hospital nurses/docs.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Paramedic class being close to a para-military entity is completely overboard. There is no rank structure or anything even remotely close to the military, except for maybe a uniform combination....and even the wear of that uniform is far removed from the rigidity of military wear of uniform.

Most paramedic classes are held in a college/classroom setting, where uniform attire doesn't really change much. What it does do, though, is inspire a level of confidence and pride in the students that can't be found wearing blue jeans and a fire dept. t-shirt that brags that "we walk where the devil dances". In clinical settings (ambulance and hospital) the uniform is a necessity and should be mandatory. I don't see a real benefit to wearing a uniform to classroom settings where you're sitting for 4 hours a night taking notes. If there was a huge concern about offensive t-shirts, long nails, booty shorts, etc.....the instructor could cover all that the first night of class with the "conservative attire only" clause, in addition to making sure nails don't extend past the tips of the fingers (that's what we do in the military...).

Last edited by a moderator: