"Um, what is that thing hanging out of this kid's chest?" - Broviac caths

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
From the awesome EMS Coordinator and Director of EMS Outreach and Education at The Children's Hospital (Denver), Stephanie Haley-Andrews, BSN:

It occurred to me the other day after DHMC PD ran one helluva great resuscitation on a complex cardiac kiddo that perhaps a pictorial on pediatric central lines, tubes and VADs would be useful for EMS.

The first thing we'll tackle is the Broviac® catheter. The Broviac® catheter is a long, white, hollow tube made of silicone that has at least one lumen and often two or three. There is no communication between the lumens so different medications, fluids, blood products can be infused at the same time. It's a catheter usually placed in the superior vena cava to provide central circulation access.

Brovic catheter hubs may be color coded red, blue, white, etc. It is a common misconception that one tube is venous (blue cap) and another is arterial (red cap) when they are only in venous central circulation.

Broviacs can be used by Paramedics to infuse medication and fluids. Instant central access is a beautiful thing. Just please clean the available hub with rubbing alcohol or whatever your agency uses to promote aseptic technique, and don't forget to unclamp it (been there, done that..."Why isn't this thing WORKING!!! Oh...that's why").

If the patient only has one hub and a continuous medication is infusing (vasoactive meds, prostaglandin, etc.), it's best to contact medical control for advice. Turning the medication off even momentarily may not be worth the risk, and pushing another medication or fluid through the same line may bolus the continuously infusing medication.

6575_1135530751734_1331305243_30537585_6095616_a.jpg

Broviac double lumen

6575_1135531351749_1331305243_30537586_4279157_n.jpg

Broviac single lumen

6575_1135532271772_1331305243_30537588_1699284_n.jpg

Broviac triple lumen

photo.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good idea but one has to remember that those are central lines. Not all States or services allows one to access central lines as many consider such within the level of Critical Care. Alike any other medical device there is risks and complications, so be sure you have been properly trained and educated and you have protocols or direct order to do so.

R/r 911

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
A big thing with these lines that I've found people don't know about is that whenever you access one you, the patient, and anyone in the back of the ambulance should be wearing a mask. Lines like this are fairly prone to infection, and standard technique involves wearing a mask.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A big thing with these lines that I've found people don't know about is that whenever you access one you, the patient, and anyone in the back of the ambulance should be wearing a mask. Lines like this are fairly prone to infection, and standard technique involves wearing a mask.

Mask? To connect a line into an exitisting port. It's not an invasive procedure, and does NOT require mask. Some consider it a sterile procedure where others may not and acclaim aseptic technique only to be used.

Now, the fact the likelyhood of some of your patients that have these maybe immunosupressed I definitely could agree upon. Even with that I recommend the patient to be reversed isolation.

R/r 911

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
One time in the ED, the RN wore a mask and had me wear one as well for accessing a central line (port-o-cath).

JPINFV

Gadfly
"Swan-Ganz catheter"

Hehe... The drawing is someone getting a pulmonary wedge pressure.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Hickman Catheter or Broviac

Mvc-088s.jpg

Groshong Catheter

Mvc-091s.jpg

VasCath
Pheresis catheters are larger and sturdier than Hickman catheters. Pheresis catheters can also be used for hemodialysis, and are often called "dialysis catheters".

Huber Needles
Mvc-075s.jpg

These photes were referenced from this page:
http://faculty.mercer.edu/summervill_j/iv.htm

Those who believe a simple IV can do not harm should take note of the complications listed and shown on that page also.

twnshpfireman3417

Forum Probie
Question for the experienced medics out there. Currently in medic school and we just got done talking about these, something the RN that lectured that day made sure to point out is make sure you always flush them first or draw off them because they usually are flushed with heparin and their will still be some still in the lines as well as use at least a 10cc syringe when attaching to them because small syringes can create to much pressure and blow the line. For those of you out there that have seen them and used them in the field or the hospital what are your protocols dealing with them..

Aidey

Yes Rid, a mask. I'm aware it's not a sterile procedure, but that doesn't mean the BSI recommendation doesn't include a mask.

twnshp - This information is specific to dialysis catheters, someone else will have to answer about the others. In dialysis catheters you should always draw off 5cc to 10cc from each port because they are usually packed with Heparin, unless the pt is allergic to it. You will get blood out when you do this, but that is normal. These catheters can be very temperamental, and sometimes you can't draw back on them, or you can only draw back on one side, and not the other. In these cases, flushing the heparin in with saline is sometimes your only option, mostly because if you are accessing a catheter it better be because the pt is unstable, and if you need access, you need access.

You should always leave a cap of some sort on the end of the port, even if you aren't using that particular port. Even if you just screw on a syringe to the end and leave it there, you don't want to leave it un-capped.

Our protocols are rather ambiguous about accessing these lines. Port-a-caths are totally out of the question, because we don't carry the proper needles to access them. However, our medical director has stated that in true emergency situations, such as cardiac/resp arrest, major hemorrhage, shock etc we can access dialysis catheters/PICC lines etc without calling as long as we feel comfortable doing it.

In non-emergency situations, we are to call first and get on-line direction to access the line.

Our protocol for access dialysis fistulas/gafts is almost exactaly the same.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We use the standard policies of withdrawing 10ml and wasting and then flushing the line with Saline to ensure patency. Important questions I always ask is when was the last time the device was used or flushed. One has to be concerned if it has been a while since it was utilized or flushed, as developments of clots and not being patent.

The devices as well are sometimes temperamental as effected by breathing patterns and positions when initially flushing. It is not unusual to have some initial difficulty as many patients/family members will inform you of the "tricks" sometimes associated with their device. Since it is a central line though, once it has been flushed should infuse well.

Our protocol is to use sterile procedure (i.e sterile gloves, alcohol, 10cc syring, flush kit) and tegaderm and or dressing. We also carry Huber needles of various gauges for port-a-cath.

We do not routinely access A/V fistulas or Pheresis cath's but I will specifically contact medical control to access (since I am familiar with the use of these). We have several dialysis centers and routinely have critically ill and arrest in them. Venous access is routinely poor.

I promoted and wrote our policy to access PICC, Port a Cath, Triple lumens, etc.. as a ER nurse, I was tired of seeing peripheral sticks being performed needlessly. Patients that receive these devices do so for a reason. Many of the toxological medications and underlying diseases cause havac on veins and make it very difficult to locate peripheral veins.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes Rid, a mask. I'm aware it's not a sterile procedure, but that doesn't mean the BSI recommendation doesn't include a mask.

BSI precautions may include shield but mask as for respiratory measures is not normal BSI and maybe undue in just attaching a line or syringe to a port. Remember, this is a routine procedure performed at home and clinic settings. If you want to wear or protocols state so; so be it but in general it is not a normal or recommended procedure.

The main emphasis as well should to be sure the ends are cleansed well and all air is expelled. Close monitoring needs to be addressed as well.

R/r 911

Aidey

Maybe it's a regional variance, but both in the hospital I trained in, and in the agency I work for now masks are routine when access caths. As part of Paramedic education we spent time in the "procedures" unit at the hospital. They did out patient colonoscopies, endoscopies, PICC line checks, infusions etc. Every time we accessed a PICC line or a cath of some sort we were all wearing masks.

Maybe it's because the type of people that have these are generally immunocompromised due to advanced disease process, or cancer and it's just assumed they have a low white count, I don't know. All I can say is that I've always been taught a mask is standard.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Vent, correct me if I'm wrong, but out of all the central lines you've posted, isn't the Port-a-cath the only one that we really don't carry the proper equipment to access. I've seen them used at work and in my ED clinicals, and they use a 90* needle to make access. I've always been told that we can easily core them if we try to access with a conventional needle, which would precipitate total replacement of the cath

EDIT: what I'm referring to is like the Huber needle shown above

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Our protocols state we're allowed to use them but only in an oh **** moment and we must contact med control first.

Mask or no mask is based on the patients condition and reason for having the cath not the fact that it's there. A child with leukemia, yes we wear masks and it's treated as a sterile procedure. Dialysis, not so much.

Aidey

Believe it or not, per medicare* masks are to be worn when accessing a dialysis catheter. Sterile gloves aren't always standard, but masks are.

*Medicare has the say so because all dialysis pts are on medicare, so they get a lot of sway in dictating how dialysis units are run.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Vent, correct me if I'm wrong, but out of all the central lines you've posted, isn't the Port-a-cath the only one that we really don't carry the proper equipment to access. I've seen them used at work and in my ED clinicals, and they use a 90* needle to make access. I've always been told that we can easily core them if we try to access with a conventional needle, which would precipitate total replacement of the cath

EDIT: what I'm referring to is like the Huber needle shown above

I'm not Vent but most of the caths have lure lock device so no special equipment except cleansing material and dressings. I routinely insert PICC lines and access most of the lines described.

Believe it or not, per medicare* masks are to be worn when accessing a dialysis catheter. Sterile gloves aren't always standard, but masks are.

*Medicare has the say so because all dialysis pts are on medicare, so they get a lot of sway in dictating how dialysis units are run.

I believe the reason would be that many of those on dialysis therapy maybe considered high risk of auto immune problems, not because of standardization of BSI although it would not be a bad idea. Respiratory involvement should be considered but may not be enforced in all patients.

I have yet seen any dialysis areas where masks are routinely used but definitely shields, flash resistant gowns, as spurting blood is common.

R/r 911