Typical Day in IFT

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey guys.

I've been trying to nail a job for a while a might have a transport company coming up in my near future. I've been super interested in landing a job with 911 contracts, but at this point I just want to get my foot into the door of a company and gain some exerience. I've never experienced the workings of an IFT company. For those of you who have, whats a normal day like? Are there a run list of pre scheduled transports for the day? Or sometimes are you on call at your base waiting for a transport call. IFT is intriguing to me though..being able to interact with the patient in a more personal way and learn about different conditions and diseases and such. So any wisdom on IFT and day in the life info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
There may be a list but only dispatch sees it. We don't have a base. Here's a typical day:

Go to base. Wait 30 minutes for partner-of-the-day to show up. Get truck. Go back to supply for all the things missing from the truck.

If partner is a medic: drive to hospital, sit in parking lot for 4 hours, drive to call, pick up patient, drive to hospital, drop off patient, repeat.

If partner is also a basic: drive to hospital, pick up patient, drive to nursing home, drop off patient, partner drives to hospital, I fill out paperwork, read patient's information, take vitals, chat with them to nursing home, drop them off, then I drive to hospital... repeat.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Transfer patient from A to B, repeat ......

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In the Boston area, it actually depends slightly on the company, which are you shooting to work for? The North Shore and South Shore have vastly different services...
In general, expect to spent the entire day in the truck, either on calls, or posted, so bring food and reading material. Be prepared to do some dialysis (either to/from SNF or private residence), some discharge (with stairchairs up), some Inter-Facility (SNF to outpatient appt, etc), some Intra-Facillity (between buildings of the same facility), some nursing home 911 (generally medical), and some suburban 911.

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Morning: Check ambulance to make sure all supplies are on board.

Start of day: Transport patient from hospital back to nursing home / private residence.

Midday: you may get an emergency call for sepsis/peg tube replacement/abdominal pain/psych transport or you may get posted at a location for a few hours

End of day: head back to base

Pretty typical. You'll definitely develop your confidence in th medical assessment but if you're in it for trauma, you won't be getting any of that unless its a flagdown.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It really depends on the company.

Large regional company I worked for in So Cal:

Arrive, get assigned a partner and unit, check out ambulance.

Call in service, receive either a posting spot or calls.

If posting spot, go wait near post for a call, feel free to go shopping, eat, sleep, etc while at the post.

If on a call, run the call. Calls were a mix of dialysis, discharge, and nursing home emergency calls. There was also the possibility of being sent back to base to pick up an RN and/or an RT and their equipment and start running CCT calls.

At end up day, refuel, go back to base, turn paper work in, go home.

Very small company South of Boston:

Show up, clock in, head to first call, run call, either post in the area or return to base, check out unit (well, I was normally the only person to consistently check the unit), wait 3 hours, run return, go back to base, run the 2 afternoon dialysis patients, wait 3 hours, run the returns, go home. Very boring, but very easy and non-stressful.

OP
OP
rwik123

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
It really depends on the company.

Large regional company I worked for in So Cal:

Arrive, get assigned a partner and unit, check out ambulance.

Call in service, receive either a posting spot or calls.

If posting spot, go wait near post for a call, feel free to go shopping, eat, sleep, etc while at the post.

If on a call, run the call. Calls were a mix of dialysis, discharge, and nursing home emergency calls. There was also the possibility of being sent back to base to pick up an RN and/or an RT and their equipment and start running CCT calls.

At end up day, refuel, go back to base, turn paper work in, go home.

Very small company South of Boston:

Show up, clock in, head to first call, run call, either post in the area or return to base, check out unit (well, I was normally the only person to consistently check the unit), wait 3 hours, run return, go back to base, run the 2 afternoon dialysis patients, wait 3 hours, run the returns, go home. Very boring, but very easy and non-stressful.

the "posting" aspect. Does that just involve sitting in say a parking lot or such near the vicinity of medical centers?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not necessarilly near medical centers, but yes, sitting in parking lots. At my first company, there were 20 or so "Charlie spots" (posting locations) at intersections, but we were free to be anywhere within a reasonable distance around the spot, not necessarilly right at the intersection.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
For my 12 hour shift as an EMT-Basic with an IFT company a great night shift went something like this:

19:00 - Clocked in, called dispatch, started checking out and inventorying truck.
19:30 - Partner arrives, we call on-air, and were assigned to a street corner post.
21:00 - 911 EMS call with RLS response. Act as first responder and help ALS when they arrive.
22:00 - 911 EMS call. Assisted until ALS transported.
23:00 - Hospital > Nursing Home
1:00 - Nursing Home > Hospital
2:00-5:00 - Hold post on a street corner.
5:15 - Dialysis run. Home > Dialysis
6:00 - Post
6:30 - Cleared for fuel and the station.

A day shift was no 911 and all IFT calls. Sometimes we'd move posts every 15 minutes, though usually we'd stay put for an hour.

Sometimes we'd have no calls, sometimes we'd have lots of calls. There were months when I didn't touch the lights and sirens, and then shift where all of my calls for RLS.

I absolutely preferred the night shift as there was no traffic to mess with, which was 90% of my frustration in EMS.

Good luck!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Private BLS IFT:

Arrive at work.

Clock in.

Mull around the time clock wasting time and attempting to look busy.

Go check the truck/partner assignments.

Huff and go "Oh god, not him/her/that truck again!" Whine. Mull around the truck roster for a few minutes, killing even more time.

Go get truck check off sheet, keys, and equipment.

skulk out to truck, climb in drivers seat. Turn on the battery, discover whoever was on the truck before left the battery on the night before. Secretly hope the truck doesn't start so you can get one of the nicer trucks.

Turn key. Wait...Damn, started. Huff Huff Huff.

Check out the woowoos and sparkly lights you'll never use. Make sure you wait to test the siren until someone's walking in front of your truck so you can give them a heart attack.

Forget to check the fluids, no one checks them anyway and the sooner you kill the truck the sooner you'll get a new one, in theory. (In reality they keep reviving that stupid truck well past being safe to drive.)\

Check the main O2. yup, the one under the bench seat. It's empty. Stomp around and curse about being the only one who ever changes the stupid things.

Go on a search and scavenge mission in the rest of the trucks for stuff you're missing on yours that are not in the supply closet (Stair chairs, though you don't REALLY look for a stair chair because that means you might have to use it. AEDs, good luck finding one, sheets, reports, suction tubing, glucometers, etc are all hot commodities at my service and you're lucky to find them.)

Go in service. Get a call and whine about how everyone else is holding. Swear dispatch is playing favorites. Wonder what you did to piss them off.

Fight with partner about the radio station.

Go to the call. Get *****ed at by nurse for being late. Smile and nod. Get cursed out by patient for moving her. Smile and nod.

Load very wide patient onto very narrow stretcher. Duck is she swings (they often do.). Ask for help from the nurse. She'll stand there and look confused and then at the last minute grab the legs like she's actually doing something.

Go to leave. Get called back by nurse who forgot an rx. Wait for 20 minutes while she tries to get it.

Get Rx, load patient. Listen to patient yell about the bumps before you even start moving. Nod and smile and write your report.

Unload patient. Go to room. Room has changed, go to other room. Get yelled at by SNF nurse because hospital nurse forgot to call report because she was too busy holding the feet.

Stand there while SNF nurse hems and haws and goes through paperwork with a fine tooth comb before signing for the patient.

Go back to truck. Finish report. Go available.

Hold the area for awhile. Park in random parking lot. Whine to partner about being bored.

Curse dispatch because they gave you another call. Call them names and throw a fit. Complain about how your sick of it. It's not fair. They should be fired! They don't know what it's like!

Go do another call, much like the first.

Repeat.

At some point, sneak into gas station or mcdonalds for food.

At the end of the day once you're clear, return to station. Park truck without gassing it up or washing it because no one washes it anyway and they all look like crap and you're tired.

Recount day to dispatch, make fun of nurses, patients, etc. like they are your best friend and you weren't just calling them a mother effer an hour ago.

Poke around and waste time. Turn in paperwork.

Mosey on over to the time clock. Waste time and look busy, squeezing that extra two cents into your paycheck.

Clock out, skulk out to parking lot. Go home. Repeat the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Private BLS IFT:

Arrive at work.

Clock in.

Huff and go "Oh god, not him/her/that truck again!" Whine. Mull around the truck roster for a few minutes, killing even more time.

skulk out to truck, climb in drivers seat. Turn on the battery, discover whoever was on the truck before left the battery on the night before. Secretly hope the truck doesn't start so you can get one of the nicer trucks.

Check out the woowoos and sparkly lights you'll never use. Make sure you wait to test the siren until someone's walking in front of your truck so you can give them a heart attack.

Forget to check the fluids, no one checks them anyway and the sooner you kill the truck the sooner you'll get a new one, in theory. (In reality they keep reviving that stupid truck well past being safe to drive.)\

Check the main O2. yup, the one under the bench seat. It's empty. Stomp around and curse about being the only one who ever changes the stupid things.

Go on a search and scavenge mission in the rest of the trucks for stuff you're missing on yours that are not in the supply closet (Stair chairs, though you don't REALLY look for a stair chair because that means you might have to use it. AEDs, good luck finding one, sheets, reports, suction tubing, glucometers, etc are all hot commodities at my service and you're lucky to find them.)

Go in service. Get a call and whine about how everyone else is holding. Swear dispatch is playing favorites. Wonder what you did to piss them off.

Go to the call. Get *****ed at by nurse for being late. Smile and nod. Get cursed out by patient for moving her. Smile and nod.

Load very wide patient onto very narrow stretcher. Duck is she swings (they often do.). Ask for help from the nurse. She'll stand there and look confused and then at the last minute grab the legs like she's actually doing something.

Go to leave. Get called back by nurse who forgot an rx. Wait for 20 minutes while she tries to get it.

Get Rx, load patient. Listen to patient yell about the bumps before you even start moving. Nod and smile and write your report.

Unload patient. Go to room. Room has changed, go to other room. Get yelled at by SNF nurse because hospital nurse forgot to call report because she was too busy holding the feet.

Stand there while SNF nurse hems and haws and goes through paperwork with a fine tooth comb before signing for the patient.

Hold the area for awhile. Park in random parking lot. Whine to partner about being bored.

Curse dispatch because they gave you another call. Call them names and throw a fit. Complain about how your sick of it. It's not fair. They should be fired! They don't know what it's like!

Repeat.

At the end of the day once you're clear, return to station. Park truck without gassing it up or washing it because no one washes it anyway and they all look like crap and you're tired.

Recount day to dispatch, make fun of nurses, patients, etc. like they are your best friend and you weren't just calling them a mother effer an hour ago.

Mosey on over to the time clock. Waste time and look busy, squeezing that extra two cents into your paycheck.

did we work together?

Mike Honcho

Forum Probie
Private BLS IFT:

Arrive at work.

Clock in.

Repeat.

Wow, that's sad........

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yea, I'm just saying if it sucks that bad, maybe you should look to do something else.

And most of us are/were.

I worked at an IFT company for 6 months after I got my medic, just because it'd give me 'experience', and the paycheck until I could find a decent 911 to get on with.

Call me crazy, but I don't want to spend 2 years getting an education, than not work in the field at all till I find the *PERFECT* job, which may or may not ever pop up, while bills continue to come in.

Luckily I'm now at a seemingly good 911 and am enjoying it thus far (more than I ever did at IFT... my worst day in 911 is still better than my best day doing IFT).

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Yea, I'm just saying if it sucks that bad, maybe you should look to do something else.

Most people usually are looking for something different.