Two jobs, scheduling issues, how to go about this...

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
So, it looks like I have landed two jobs. One job is in a large city in my County that's offering me "part-time" position starting off but it will give me full-time + hours. That's just how they start their employees. Second job is for the smaller town in my County and it is really part-time, 20 hours if I'm lucky, 30 hours during a good week for now.

Already have one scheduling conflict, they both want me to start the formal orientation on the 12th.

How do I go about talking to both Supervisors to make this work? I obviously want to work the most hours I can if I'm available, be there/reliable for both companies and just work, learn and gain as much experience as possible. I sent one an e-mail, and I plan on calling the other in the morning (since he has been on vacation). I plan on explaining to them I am determined to make myself as available as possible to make this work.

I mean, if it causes a huge issue right off the bat, I'm going to have to go with the company that's bigger, has promised me more hours, and has more people I would want to learn from in the future (FTO's/Preceptors). I have to do what's best for myself and for my family, plus the bills need to be paid.

Talk about the best situation possible causing a major headache.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
do either of them have a non-compete clause? I know my company would have a BIG problem with me working another company in town ie. competition. but really I feel like this is a no brainer: one company is offering you 40+ hours, do you really want to work more than that? you will not be able to give both companies the availability they want, even from day one you are going to need special accomodations.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think it's a bad idea to start working for two companies right from the start. You need to prove yourself as an exemplary employee to the company that you plan on sticking with for the long haul. When you've established yourself there you can go back and work on a second job.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the company that has offered you more hours and you'd rather work for. Tell the other company that you had a commitment that has come up, and that you'd love an opportunity to work for them in 3-6 months, if possible. No need to burn any bridges.

Good luck!

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
do either of them have a non-compete clause? I know my company would have a BIG problem with me working another company in town ie. competition.

There are a bunch of people in my area that are part time or per diem at my primary agency, as well as two to three other agencies (both commercial and town-based). People in my area don't seem to have any problems with it

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have to choose, go with the bigger organization.

Perhaps start with the bigger one first, then start with the small one next. I think most people who work two jobs do not start them both the same month.

8jimi8

CFRN
Just ask one of them to put off starting you until the next cycle. maybe it'll be a week, maybe it'll be a month. If they hired you, they see potential, don't let all that go to waste.

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I spoke with both companies this morning, and I think it's fate. This was destined to work out in my favor.

Both companies had high regards of each other, and completely understood my situation. It's not uncommon in this area.

So basically, both orientations got squared away, and the larger company with a high call volume will be close to full-time if not full-time, and the smaller company will be part-time for now. Both were very supportive, so this is awesome.

Best case scenario.

medic417

The Truth Provider
When you work for more than one service you have to make one your primary and let the other service know that your primary job has to come first. If you let them know up front that if there is any conflicts in schedule the primary will be your priority most places will work with you. If you wait until last minute might ruin your reputation and make you unhireable in the area.