Turn over of care from school nurse

In this instance I do think that it is like any other scene because the school is not a facility in the same way a hospital or NH is just because they have a nurse.
Its sad that "higher level of care " has to be defined by a piece of paper rather than knowledge and skills sets. I've had care handed to me from small outlieing hospital RN's that didn't even know what narcan is LOL

I wonder in which states is an RN license "higher" than a medic license? It's not the case here, we're on equal terms.

I'm trying to figure out which state actually has a set list of the volume of each level's proverbial cup size. Are EMTs A while physicians DD? Additionally, do they rank sub-specialties?

I wonder in which states is an RN license "higher" than a medic license? It's not the case here, we're on equal terms.

I don't have an EMT/Medic license. I have a certification and an Ambulance Attendant license relevant to my current level of practice.

I do know that our flight crews cannot turn over care to a ground unit whether it be a Medic or a CC-Medic, even if said Medic's main employment is flight and they are just filling a ground shift, but that's more protocol than anything.

I don't have an EMT/Medic license. I have a certification and an Ambulance Attendant license relevant to my current level of practice.

Do you have a piece of paper from a government agency that grants you permission to engage in acts (such as providing medical care within a defined scope of practice) that are otherwise illegal to engage in?

Do you have a piece of paper from a government agency that grants you permission to engage in acts (such as providing medical care within a defined scope of practice) that are otherwise illegal to engage in?

My ambulance attendant's license allows me to do this under my protocols as defined by my Medical Director. My EMT/Medic cert doesn't allow any of the above.

edit: I should have worded my original post better. I don't have an EMT license. I have an EMT Certificate, however I do have an Ambulance Attendant's license for the level of EMT-I.

Certification = Demonstrated competence in a specific skill set.

License = privilege to practice within set guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:
This always seem to be different in different areas of the States, in CA nurses were thought to be above Medics and Nurses gave Medics medical Direction. In Texas it is the opposite, Medics do not take direction from nurses and are on the same playing field. Infact most Doctors think of us as more closely related to them than to nurses. So what I am getting at is, if a nurse hands over care to a Medic it is thought to be a provider of equal care.

Sounds like airmen pulling rank based on hours in service.

My experience in real world is each facility says their employees are superior to anyone else's except MD's and pharmacists.
Anyone who thinks RN's are better at emerge cy work due to their training is ignorant or disingenuous.
If a pt would benefit from a ride with an EMT, the best surgeon in the world will send him, if he care about pt outcome. No pre-determined absolute hierarchy like the military purportedly does.

Enlighten me a question: Registered Nurses programs do not teach ACLS, BLS, pharmacology and emergency care?

There's a huge difference between learning the basics in class and making it your specialty.

And an E.R. nurse? or an ICU nurse, or critical care transport nurse/ flight nurse?

If you think so, a family doctor who works in an office, also has a lower "degree" of knowledge than an EMT-P, I guess...

And an E.R. nurse? or an ICU nurse, or critical care transport nurse/ flight nurse?

If you think so, a family doctor who works in an office, also has a lower "degree" of knowledge than an EMT-P, I guess...

When it comes to a medical emergency walking into a doctor's office, the first thing that primary care physician needs to do is pick up the phone and call 911. Yes, when it comes to handling a medical emergency, I'd rather have the average paramedic, than the average internal med physician. Otherwise you have people like Dr. Conrad Murry trying to revive a propofol induced respiratory arrest with chest compressions.

Also, are you suggesting that the average school nurse has a background in any of those fields?

When it comes to a medical emergency walking into a doctor's office, the first thing that primary care physician needs to do is pick up the phone and call 911. Yes, when it comes to handling a medical emergency, I'd rather have the average paramedic, than the average internal med physician. Otherwise you have people like Dr. Conrad Murry trying to revive a propofol induced respiratory arrest with chest compressions.

Also, are you suggesting that the average school nurse has a background in any of those fields?

And don't forget, he do CPR on a bed, instead putting him on the floor<_<:ph34r:

A school nurse is not an RN?

No, She/he not, but can provide first-aid until the paramedics/emt's arrives.

Not claiming they aren't. I'm claiming that they don't generally run emergencies, and thus in an emergency situation they should be expected to recognize an emergency exists, call 911, and begin care, and that care cannot, and should not, be compared to providers whose job is providing emergency care.

Not claiming they aren't. I'm claiming that they don't generally run emergencies, and thus in an emergency situation they should be expected to recognize an emergency exists, call 911, and begin care, and that care cannot, and should not, be compared to providers whose job is providing emergency care.

I see, and I agree.

what I meant is that an ER nurse, or an ICU nurse learn pharmacology and ACLS too, but if a school nurse does not care for so many urgent patients as an paramedic or an ER nurse, this is also true.

Enlighten me a question: Registered Nurses programs do not teach ACLS, BLS, pharmacology and emergency care?
In short, they're taught BLS, how to give meds by various routes (including IV), how to assess patients, and so on. They're not really going to be exposed or expected to learn to do rapid, emergent patient assessment and exercise a LOT of autonomy. It's not that they can't do it, it's that they just don't do it enough to get really good at it. They do get a very good pharm education... but they don't likely commonly take a formal ACLS course.

Thus, at times, having a Paramedic on hand is the better resource of the two... and the above is also why Nurses are usually restricted to BLS only care in the field.

Nursing home are totally different as they are not truly 911 calls. Anything leaving a NH is an inter-facility transport where the patients doctor, or on call at the home must order the patient to be transferred. The doctor specifics the level of care.

Of course they call 911, but they need some type of transfer order to release the patient to the care of the paramedics or EMT's. This is either written as a standing order that the charge RN has, or through a phone order the MD gives to the RN.

Keep in mind that different states do things in different ways. In New York, a nursing home call is a 911 call, period. It's billed to Medicare as a 911 call, and we take the patient to the ED, just like any other patient. Sometimes the staff does call the doctor who orders them sent out, but often they just call 911 and call the doctor later to tell them they sent the patient out. This avoids the mess that California seems to have regarding ambulances that can only do IFTs and can't do 911s. All ambulances are in NY are NYS certified, meaning they can do all the jobs. The only IFTs are coming out of hospitals and going to hospitals. (Discharges to NHs or anywhere else aren't considered inter-facility.)

This avoids the mess that California seems to have regarding ambulances that can only do IFTs and can't do 911s.

...and where would that be in Califonria? There's a difference between a free for all, like NY City with the volunteer, voluntary, and FDNY (which I would consider a mess), and contracting out ambulance service to a specific company. Unless a contract dictates additional equipment, the equipment and staffing for EMT level ambulances in California is the same, regardless of if the company does 911, 911 and IFT, or just IFT.

I'm going by what I've read on these posts about California. If I mis-interpreted the way things are, that wasn't the intention.

NYC is a free for all. But I'm a 7 hour drive from there, and most of us consider it another world, and things are completely different Upstate.

Back