Treatment by the ER staff.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
After looking at the thread about dealing with the ER's when it comes to supplies I thought I would try and get some comments on the ER experience where you work. I would be curious as to what we in the ER could be doing different. I would be more than willing to try and lead by example and take into consideration any feed back you can offer. I work at one of the two level one trauma centers here in Portland and we get many different agencies bringing us patients so if I am familiar with how different things can be from facility to facility. I do hear stories but it would be nice to have a few observations and suggestions from the board. I can tell you the hot tub and full bar service in the EMS lounge might be a tough one to pull off so maybe we should set our sights a little lower.

JPINFV

Gadfly
One thing that was nice that one of the hospitals did was they had a tech (called the 'flow tech')assigned essentially to run the white board (keep it up to date with patient, physician, various status options, and specific color codes) and help out elsewhere as needed. One of the benefits was that almost half the time a bed assignment was made prior to the ambulances arrival which made off load and report quicker.

OP
OP
L

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I'm not sure about other hospitals but due to HIPPA issues we did away with the white board a few years ago. Everything is done on computer using T-System and E-Chart. It actually helps things run smoother and with an almost paperless ER everything is on computer. All charting is done on T-system which in my opinion is superior to the old paper charts. The charge nurse workstation is right next to the radio and updates are made to the board as needed.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm not sure about other hospitals but due to HIPPA issues we did away with the white board a few years ago.

White boards are not illegal under HIPAA. You just have to be mindful of the information posted on them.

Too much information on the radio is under the same reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
White boards are not illegal under HIPAA. You just have to be mindful of the information posted on them.

Too much information on the radio is under the same reasoning.
Exactly. And HIPAA is the correct spelling of the acronym.

OP
OP
L

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I never said anything about legality with regards to HIPAA, the decision to do away with the boards was one made by the higher ups and HIPAA did factor in to the decision.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
On the regards with the board, one hospital near where I live they have a computer screen that tells us what room to take the PT. (Then we get out our map to find out where in the world it is since the room numbers make no sense at all!)

It would be nice if hospitals had minifridges of food. So on a busy day where I have not had any chance to eat there is food we can grab.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
The 0700-1900 tech stocks sandwiches in the little fridge in our EMS room daily, I'm not sure if that supply last all day. I think they also keep peanut butter and bread or crackers and maybe yogurt sometimes. I did talk to one medic who told me that one of the hospitals has deli sandwiches and red bull in their EMS fridge.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I love whoever leaves food in the EMS room. I'm happy with whatever, but we all get excited when we transport to the one place that sometimes has good stuff.

My main pet peeve involves whiteboards with no dry-erase marker. It's only a matter of time before someone tries the sharpie and ruins it.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Around here during EMS appreciation week each hospital will rotate every day who is cooking out. So when you go to drop off a patient there are people outside giving hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, sodas/water, etc to EMS workers.

Sometimes we'll get cookies or other snacks set out for us. All the hospitals also have soda and water in minifridges and ice machines that we can grab something when we come through.

The rehab center on one floor if you are doing IFT lets you get a cup of soup and a water from their supply room.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
is the triage nurse doesn't get nasty with me, I can't sign back into service.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The rehab center on one floor if you are doing IFT lets you get a cup of soup and a water from their supply room.

My favorite hospice drop off when I worked at my old company was not only an amazing facility with amazing nurses, but they had ice cream, juices, sanwhiches and slushies in their kitchen that we were all welcome too. They had yummy flavors too like mango and watermelon and raspberry and kiwi.

I've never had a problem with nurses in the ERs, I'm nice and they're nice. I also suck up to them and will occasionally let them have my pen if they comment on it ( I'm neurotic about my pens, hate cheap pens and have to be a specific type so most like them.)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hmm, bribing nurses with pens. I must remember this tactic when I go on to rotations. Besides, the best thing about medicine is the free pens (and the Air Force was giving out some really fancy pens at the vendor fair following convocation/white coat).

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hmm, bribing nurses with pens. I must remember this tactic when I go on to rotations. Besides, the best thing about medicine is the free pens (and the Air Force was giving out some really fancy pens at the vendor fair following convocation/white coat).

You must get gel fine roller tip with a nice grip. The nurses will go wild for them.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
we use IBEX at our hospital.... and i think its releases a lot of HIPAA info... name-wise

but it very clean and neat!!!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I treat the techs and nurses at the local facilities with respect and get the same in return. They do tend to get a little titchy when we bring them tons of drunks in one night though...

And I get awesome treatment from the hospital I work at, mainly due to the ED staff knowing me.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In NY, especially Elmhurst hosp. the nurses can be disgruntled and apathetic. Anything serious gets a note anyway, and will be seen in either the cardiac room or trauma room. half hour to one hour backups are not uncommon. They also expect us to take the pt's vitals with their equipment, and record that along with the pt's demographics for them.

Some complain when we bring them another drunk. We're supposed to take them to their hosp of choice, provided they're stable. When the triage nurse gives us beef about bringing in a drunk, we get even. We spread the word to every other unit, and then we flood the ER with drunks. No one wants to smell bum pee at 0300. ETOH pts were a neverending supply there, so it wasn't too difficult.

Down here in VA, it's so much better. The nurses are more personable, we get triaged almost immediately U/A. An RN or two along with a tech will take over pt care without delay. Lots of gatorade and snacks available as well.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I have had nothing but pleasent experiences with our local ER's. We seem to have a better than average working relationship with them compared to the norm that I gather from reading posts here. It's nice to get a cold drink and a snack every now and then at the ER but I have a good job I can buy my own food. The thing that makes the biggest difference to me is knowing our room assignment PTA, and having ED staff ready to take over care when we get there. As much as I like spending time in the ER I prefer to get in out and back in service asap. Only on very rare occasions when the ER is really getting pounded do we have to wait to give our report and clear and usually that's only 5-10 minutes but I don't like hanging out waiting.

As a secondary question how many here are actually friends with ED staff? For us we have group outings at least once a month where medics and ED staff from all 4 of our hospitals go out together and hang out, maybe go to a baseball game or go bar hopping etc. I think knowing everyone and being friends really helps the work side of our relationship as well, anyone else do this?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As a secondary question how many here are actually friends with ED staff? For us we have group outings at least once a month where medics and ED staff from all 4 of our hospitals go out together and hang out, maybe go to a baseball game or go bar hopping etc. I think knowing everyone and being friends really helps the work side of our relationship as well, anyone else do this?

I've been out drinking, offroading, shooting, or paintballing with many members of the ED staffs here in city. Mostly from my hospital true, but a few from others as well

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
On that friendly note... I've pretty much always had good relations with ER staff.