Trauma Shears

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackiefrank

Forum Ride Along
Hey Everyone,
I am working for a medical start-up that makes top of the line trauma shears. For EMTs or other medical personnel on here how many trauma shears would you say you use in a year? Just one pair or multiple pairs? Also, do you prefer to buy your own pair or do your EMS facilities supply you with trauma shears? Thanks for your feedback!

Anjel

Forum Angel
I like to have a pair in my pocket.

Don't use them all the time. I've had mine for a year. They hurt my hand when cutting, and aren't sharp enough.

I need a new pair.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Everyone,
I am working for a medical start-up that makes top of the line trauma shears. For EMTs or other medical personnel on here how many trauma shears would you say you use in a year? Just one pair or multiple pairs? Also, do you prefer to buy your own pair or do your EMS facilities supply you with trauma shears? Thanks for your feedback!

What makes them "top of the line"? Most shears are pretty flimsy and not very high quality. It's like the better mouse trap, if you can do it, AND make it cost effective/affordable, medics will beat a path to your door.

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member
When running squad I just use the ones on the truck, but on extrications when I'm on the crash rig Ill use the pair I have in my bunkers. With that said I normally go through one or two pairs a year.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Don't carry shears. Instead I carry a small pair of bandage scissors in my shirt pocket and use them pretty much the same way and to the same effect. The trend in shears tends to be bigger is better but I think if you were to create a pair that was a balance between the 5 inch stainless bandage scissors I carry and the cool black tactical penny cutters you might find a lot of folks like me that would buy em.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Used four-dollar-at-Ace shears for years with good results. When I buy shears I look for a plastic handgrip at least three times the width of the blades, and a pivot pin that is tight enough to prevent wobble. Blades need to scissor along the great majority of their length.

The drawback to these is that as the handle closes, the hand strength diminishes. If the outer rim of the handle can be widened to allow the fingers to grip the outside of the handle as the blades close, the hand's squeeze-strength will be greater at the end of the cut. Or, we just make lots of partial cuts as we do now.

Use SEARCH. Earlier threads cite frequent loss and pilferage.

Knife threads show people like an aggressive-looking product with matte finshes, rugged serrations, one-handed deployment, and of course a "Star of Life" somewhere on it. None of these directly suggest effective shears to me. (Forget incorporating a V-blade).

So, use basic stamped rustproof steel, make the serrations appear more agggressive (maybe anodize the blade THEN serrate it so the serrations are brighter than the blade), make a grip that allows use with the spaded tip up or down and can be personalized? Or offer custom handle patterns for identifiability?

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
I’ve honestly never put much thought into it other than to having a unique color so they don’t walk off.

I prefer the stainless bandage shears, they seem to keep their edge better over time.

"Use SEARCH. Earlier threads cite frequent loss and pilferage"

You would be surprised how fast a pair of pink shears disappear in a station full of alpha males, or maybe it wouldn't. Amazes me:glare:

OP
OP
J

jackiefrank

Forum Ride Along
Thank you everyone for your feedback! In response to a few of your suggestions the shears come in multiple colors, the blades are made of stainless steel and can be resharpened, and the handles are ergonomically designed to best suit your hands and give you maximum power while cutting. One of the tasks I am trying to complete is gain an understanding of how many shears a year EMTs or other EMS personnel use as we are trying to enter into this market within the year. Your answer to the shear usage and any other feedback is greatly appreciated!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
In 2 years I've purchased 4 sets, but that was mostly trying out different styles. Probably one set a year from here on out.

Anjel

Forum Angel
One a year

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In thirty years I have personally had to replace four pairs. I have never paid more than $8 US for a pair (little five inchers, stolen first time out).

Now, in the ambulance and kit systems I've run, PLENTY. Maybe a better market there?

Oh, a thought on marketing angle...black and dark red do not show dried blood or other dark sponge when it is up against or on the handle. They are also not as easy to see in low light situations, so get lost more easily.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I like bright colored shears, have never bought any personally, and notice no issue with the standard $2 ones on the truck. I keep a pair in my bunker pants and tucked in the back belt loop, and usually use them 2-3 times a shift for random tasks.

Not that it would make me spend money on them, but it would be cool if you could work in some oxygen wrench capacity in with them.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I have the same two pair I bought 10 years ago. I lost the black handled ones a couple of times, but fortunately found them. I've been using my red ones for 9 years. Much easier to find when you put them down somewhere.
Mine were made in Pakistan and have a large rivet head on both sides of the blades. Most that I've seen have a large head on one side and a small head on the other. Mine have never worked loose. Possibly because of the large rivet. Just something to think about.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I go through 2-4 pairs a year between losing them and tossing them because they get dull. I rarely buy them, and just use the cheap ones my employer buys.

I would consider spending my own money to buy a pair that I could resharpen and that had better handles that don't dig into your hand when applying a lot of pressure.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a pair on my belt and find that I use them 1-2 times a week. The only time I've ever had to replace my shears was when I left a pair behind on a hectic call.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I honestly don't keep track of how many I use in a year. They get misplaced often. My employer provides them so it doesn't cost me anything. After a bloody call I normally just toss them or leave them at the hospital for them to use on the patient.

I've never kept a pair long enough for them to get dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.