Trauma Shears Recommendations?

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
My trauma shears are 15 years old and have finally breathed their last. I am looking for a new pair. I see a lot about these Raptor shears but a) the seem to be really expensive and b) they look like they do too much. If I need to break a window I call the fire department not go searching for my shears. I want something that is good quality and easy to sharpen. Compact is a bonus since it is for my personal bag and not the one I use on shift. Any recommendations? Extra points if I can order it from amazon (since they ship directly to where I live).

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I was going to say the raptors, they seem to be super popular right now.

But if you’re not down with those, I’ve always just stuck with the 99 cent semi disposable ones..

OP
OP
IsraelEMS

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
I was going to say the raptors, they seem to be super popular right now.

But if you’re not down with those, I’ve always just stuck with the 99 cent semi disposable ones..
Are they worth the price? Is the quality good? Do you use the extras? How long will they last?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Are they worth the price? Is the quality good? Do you use the extras? How long will they last?
I don’t personally use them, but I’ve handled them, they seem sturdy..

I’ve only ever personally seen them used as trauma shears, but some may use the gadgets.. I’m skeptical on the ring cutter..

OP
OP
IsraelEMS

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
I don’t personally use them, but I’ve handled them, they seem sturdy..

I’ve only ever personally seen them used as trauma shears, but some may use the gadgets.. I’m skeptical on the ring cutter..
The gadgets to me seem like too much and not so useful. Why do I need a strap cutter if I have good shears? The glass breaker for me is the FD, The ruler also seems not so useful. I could see how the O2 wrench could be useful but I have never found myself in need of one without having on the ambulance. Also, I wonder how easy they are to clean after a major trauma?

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
Find friends who can hook you up. Some of my friends who work for Air Evac Lifeteam hooked me up with a pair of shears that work just fine

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I do like my Raptors. The seat belt cutter is 99% of the time used to open supply boxes instead, which is frankly a task it excellent at haha. Can't say I've ever needed the window breaker, O2 wrench, or ruler, so I def can't fault you for not wanting to pay extra for it if you can't get a good sale on them

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I have sone raptors that I was gifted after taking a survey. They’re okay. I’d never spend the kind of money they want on them. I have a pair of XShears that are very sharp and sturdy. I like em. I give my top student in EMT class a pair as a gift every class. They do what scissors should do. Cut stuff.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I like my raptors. Leatherman pro deal keeps the price down and I’ve used the 20 year warranty twice without issue. Mostly I got them because they fold and are easy to keep on a belt or radio strap in a case that actually holds them in.

The ring cutter actually works quite well, I enjoy having an oxygen key, and as was mentioned the hook is nice for boxes. Window breaker also works, sometimes I don’t want to wait to break a window.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
For those that like the raptor, how easy is it to clean?
Seems fine to me. Soak em in cavicide and wash with copious amounts of water, then cavicide again. Generally I also try to not to cut through ickiness with anything.

monkeymedic

Forum Ride Along
I've had XSHEARS for nearly a year now. Everyone on our department are issued raptors. XSHEARS are by and large a superior trauma shear. Raptors gunk up too much in the moving parts and just add friction to use whereas xshears are just simple and effective.

that guy

Forum Probie
I really want to find a pair that are worth investing in because I love gadgets, but I just cannot justify the Raptors. Shears get left on scene, passed around to other providers and generally just wander off too often. I wish there were some nice ones in the 20 dollar range that were better than basics but not too spendy. But for now it's the pink handle dollar store variety. I've never come across anything that needed cutting that they couldn't handle anyway.

OP
OP
IsraelEMS

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
Thought I would update. I received the XShears in December and since then have had ample opportunities to use them. They are amazing. They cut through everything including motorcycle gear (he had some kind of mobile airbags on his clothes that deployed but they went straight through all the leather and hard silicon or whatever else that was made of). So glad I went for them. I like them so much I use them on shift in place of what we keep in the trauma bags. Thanks everyone!

Lo2w

Forum Captain
That looks like what I am looking for. How long have you had them?
I think mine are going on 3-4 years and holding up pretty well. I think I got them when I started working ER out here. They did their fair share of Orthoglass duty and still going strong on the truck.