Transporting a SOB back to res.

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
So while working my transport job, I was the driver and riding shotgun was a new hire (yikes). While transporting pt back to res from DR office, pt shows signs of sob. (shallow breaths at a rate of 40pm and 80 something SAT. Pt has a healing left leg fx with no pert. hx.) my partner puts pt on 2 lpm and releases pt back into familys care with no signs of returning to normal vitals. Pt's family refuses my offer to take to ER and we leave pt at home.

Was this the right action of my partner? I have never heard of comfort o2 and have always diverted to ER when any of my PTs start showing signs of SOB and they tell me they want to go to hospital.

EDIT: this particular pt never requested hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
So while working my transport job, I was the driver and riding shotgun was a new hire (yikes). While transporting pt back to res from DR office, pt shows signs of sob. (shallow breaths at a rate of 40pm and 80 something SAT. Pt has a healing left leg fx with no pert. hx.) my partner puts pt on 2 lpm and releases pt back into familys care with no signs of returning to normal vitals. Pt's family refuses my offer to take to ER and we leave pt at home.

Was this the right action of my partner? I have never heard of comfort o2 and have always diverted to ER when any of my PTs start showing signs of SOB and they tell me they want to go to hospital.

In my mind that's very concerning. I personally would have diverted to the closest ED. High flow 02 is definately indicated also. Low flow = useless in this case.

Hx of recent leg fx...sudden onset dyspnea...no other significant history...first thing I'm thinking is PE.
Unless the pt flat out refuses Despite explaining my concern, they're going to the ED.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
What were the vitals like? HR, BP? Skin color...heck, what was their medical hx?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Hmmmm... So it was your partner's decision to just take them home? In the future if you're not comfortable with that, then try talking to them, away from patient and family, to air your concerns.

What were lung sounds? Did patient appear short of breath or did their rate just go up? And were their hands cold? I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people get freaked out by a "low O2 sat" when the patient's hands were just cold.

leoemt

Forum Captain

What were signs and symptoms? I have had several SOB patients who were SOB due to anxiety. Coach them in their breathing and get them down to normal.

You said you were a driver. Did you look at this patients paperwork? Maybe this was normal for the patient and the family is well aware of how to take care of it.

You need to look at the entire picture to determine what needs to be done, not just a little snippet.

I have concerns that you don't want to work with a newbie and you are looking for reasons to fault them.

Epi-do

I see dead people
shallow breaths at a rate of 40pm and 80 something SAT. Pt has a healing left leg fx

I find this concerning. However, without additional information it is hard to really comment further on the situation. It could be a PE. It could also be countless other things - anxiety causing hyperventilation, cold hands or malfunctioning equipment.

Do they have any sort of respiratory history? Cardiac history? What sort of meds do they take? Other vital signs, particularly skin color/condition & cap refill?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I don't have any concerns, you're an adult and you don't report to me. ;)

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Nevermind

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
so the patient never requested to go to the hospital and they refused your offer to go to the ED? I do not see a problem as long as they were competent.

You said "signs" of SOB, what did the patient say? You said no pertinent medical history but for a COPD patient who is always tachypenic and mildly hypxoic then that might be fairly normal.

And if I had a $1 for every time someone called a RRT for a false spo2 reading I would have at least $34

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
so the patient never requested to go to the hospital and they refused your offer to go to the ED? I do not see a problem as long as they were competent.

You said "signs" of SOB, what did the patient say? You said no pertinent medical history but for a COPD patient who is always tachypenic and mildly hypxoic then that might be fairly normal.

And if I had a $1 for every time someone called a RRT for a false spo2 reading I would have at least $34

I would wonder what that patient's baseline status is. In my case, my resting HR is in the high 40's. My wife's is in the high 90's. My RR typically is around 14. Hers? About 28. Her SpO2 is typically 98-99% on room air. Her ETCO2 is normal as well. Without knowing that's her baseline, you might get a bit too concerned and either rush her to the ED or put her on O2 that she doesn't need. In my case, you might get overly concerned and be ready to pace me because my HR is bradycardic... but I'm asymptomatic, and so is she. No complaints.

Keep that stuff in mind. What may seem "off" to you may actually be the patient's baseline status. When in doubt, ask!

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
In my mind that's very concerning. I personally would have diverted to the closest ED. High flow 02 is definately indicated also. Low flow = useless in this case.

Hx of recent leg fx...sudden onset dyspnea...no other significant history...first thing I'm thinking is PE.
Unless the pt flat out refuses Despite explaining my concern, they're going to the ED.

What were the vitals like? HR, BP? Skin color...heck, what was their medical hx?
I agree with you regarding the transport, I had a PT a few days prior with same scenario and transported to ED.

PT was a 93 year old female. Skinny, no extra fluid: you know how old people get wrinkly and stuff.

PT had a high HR around low 60's, BP (AIC didn't obtain due to short transport) skin color was fine and extremities were warm to touch.

Hmmmm... So it was your partner's decision to just take them home? In the future if you're not comfortable with that, then try talking to them, away from patient and family, to air your concerns.

What were lung sounds? Did patient appear short of breath or did their rate just go up? And were their hands cold? I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people get freaked out by a "low O2 sat" when the patient's hands were just cold.

AIC didn't listen to lung sounds because it was just for comfort. I spoke to my partner after finishing the run and she went total defensive b/c it was her decision.

PT did have signs of SOB, shallow and fast respirations (I didn't think to count due to what was going on). PT would breath and then mutter and rinse/lather/repeat.

You said you were a driver. Did you look at this patients paperwork? Maybe this was normal for the patient and the family is well aware of how to take care of it.
It was my fifth day driving, usually I'm in the back. I don't look at paperwork because I don't want to step on my partner's toes or insult them by second-guessing them.
I have concerns that you don't want to work with a newbie and you are looking for reasons to fault them.
I see...I guess you can say that. But since I'm new to transport, I like to ask questions in case I run into a similar situation.
Do they have any sort of respiratory history? Cardiac history? What sort of meds do they take? Other vital signs, particularly skin color/condition & cap refill?
Skin was normal for her age.
PT didn't request to my knowledge, but my partner did say she was having trouble breathing; hence the 2lpm via NC. When we arrived to residence, I spoke with PT's family about what my partner did and they decided the PT would be better off at home because she was normal.

We were a BLS truck.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
they decided the PT would be better off at home because she was normal.

There you go. So what makes you question the decision? I am not convinced she has "no medical history"

OP
OP
V

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
alright, I was worried about the reported respiratory rate and the use of o2, I was taught if you think they are bad enough to get it then they are bad enough to transport. I didn't read the paperwork to get history, sorry.

edit: PT was not on home o2

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
alright, I was worried about the reported respiratory rate and the use of o2, I was taught if you think they are bad enough to get it then they are bad enough to transport. I didn't read the paperwork to get history, sorry.

edit: PT was not on home o2

It's hard when it's not your normal partner, but never feel like you're stepping on someone's toes by listening in on a report or asking to see the paperwork. Just because you're the driver, doesn't mean you wont be pulled in as being sharing responsibility for something that happens.

My partners and I would always be right there for histories and reports so that we could make sure that neither of us missed something. And it never hurts to have another person to bounce ideas off of. "Hey, she seems pretty tachypneic doesn't she?" "I saw on her H&P that all her vitals had a respiratory rate of 40."

MidTech

Forum Probie
Similarly I am looking for an opinion on a related matter. I had a morbidly obese F pt, became SOB with minimal exertion who does not have prescribed o2 at home. Upon being discharged my driver said I cannot give her o2 because we are not allowed to discontinue a treatment unless we do so at an ER. However, i simply said, "I will not hold back o2 if she needs it." After a little bickering we took her and left.

Anyway, our ALS unit backed us up on the lift assist into appt and sure enough she became SOB due to the exertion. Our medics simply went to get portable o2 to give her until she caught her breath. My driver once again bickered with our Medics about not being able to discontinue o2 unless we take her back to an ER....

What's your guys opinion?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Similarly I am looking for an opinion on a related matter. I had a morbidly obese F pt, became SOB with minimal exertion who does not have prescribed o2 at home. Upon being discharged my driver said I cannot give her o2 because we are not allowed to discontinue a treatment unless we do so at an ER. However, i simply said, "I will not hold back o2 if she needs it." After a little bickering we took her and left.

Anyway, our ALS unit backed us up on the lift assist into appt and sure enough she became SOB due to the exertion. Our medics simply went to get portable o2 to give her until she caught her breath. My driver once again bickered with our Medics about not being able to discontinue o2 unless we take her back to an ER....

Sounds like the pts baseline.
I would like to know why your partner thinks that you can't stop something you start until you get to the er. I would have some fun working with them. They would probably hate me by the end of shift.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

There are specific criteria a person must meet to qualify for home O2 and it appears this patient did not meet them. I do not see a problem with giving her 02 if she truly needed it and I see no reason why you would not be able to discontinue it without the ER. That being said it sound like there is some underlying problem causing her to become SOB on excretion so its not like you are really helping much overall.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sounds like the pts baseline.
I would like to know why your partner thinks that you can't stop something you start until you get to the er. I would have some fun working with them. They would probably hate me by the end of shift.
I think I would agree that this is the patient's normal baseline. Some patients get short of breath with minimal exertion and that is very normal for them just because of how they are. With those patients, I would see no problem in providing some additional oxygen while the patient is doing transfers to minimize the shortness of breath, and then withdrawing that oxygen when they are no longer short of breath at all. I would consider that a very appropriate use of a drug, and that drug would be used for one of its indications. When the patient no longer is short of breath, there likely is no more need for the supplemental oxygen at that time, therefore the therapy could be discontinued.

I think I also would have a really fun time working with your partner, and by the end of the shift, your partner would probably hate me with a deep and unrelenting passion. That would've been even with me as an EMT Basic, with me as a medic, I think I would be even worse. ;)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I think I also would have a really fun time working with your partner, and by the end of the shift, your partner would probably hate me with a deep and unrelenting passion. That would've been even with me as an EMT Basic, with me as a medic, I think I would be even worse. ;)

I think people would hate me if I got back on an ambulance, I would be ignorant. Also working as a Basic would be torture.