Medicman305

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, My name's Tom and I'm 22. I recently decided i want to pursue a career as a Paramedic. i was hoping anyone here on this site with experience can give me some advice on how to go about my education and what certifications i should get so as to make myself more appealing to employers in the future. any help is appreciated.Thanks :cool:

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
As I am unsure of what state you reside in, it is impossible for me to provide you with accurate information on education requirements/ prerequisites to become certified as a paramedic in your area. You will have to research this yourself. I will, however, attempt to provide you with some general information.

If you haven't obtained one already, you will most likely need to obtain a Healthcare provider level CPR certification. (The American Heart Association's BLS for healthcare providers course is almost universally accepted) Following that, a prerequisite to medic school is EMT-Basic certification. This course is usually only a semester long at most community colleges, and may also be offered free of charge to members of volunteer organizations such as fire departments. Depending on the state, you may be required to operate at the EMT-Basic level for a specified amount of time before you are able to start medic school. As for medic school, you will need to search in your area for a reputable facility.

I also encourage you to look into the pay rates for medics in your area to ensure they are satisfactory to you, or consider the possibility of relocating.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
BLS/CPR
EMT
Paramedic
ACLS

In that order. Get those four and you'll be employable as a paramedic.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
BLS/CPR
EMT
Paramedic
ACLS

In that order. Get those four and you'll be employable as a paramedic.
Pretty much sums it up. I would also suggest you look into an AAS paramedic degree program from a college.