Too Tall?

blayden

Forum Ride Along
My name is Brian, and I'm thinking about switching careers and taking some EMT/Paramedic training. My questions is if I'm actually too tall to fit in an ambulance if needed. I'm 6'5", which I know is not super tall, but is tall enough to get pretty uncomfortable in places that a "normal" sized person would not have any trouble with. Thanks in advance for any advice.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 6' 2". I know you've got a boot of height on me, but honestly, I wouldn't let your height stop you. Anyone over about 5' 5" will have to watch their head in the back. And anyone over 2' 0" will have legroom problems up front, but like I said, don't let height alone stop you.

That's my opinion.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
My name is Brian, and I'm thinking about switching careers and taking some EMT/Paramedic training. My questions is if I'm actually too tall to fit in an ambulance if needed. I'm 6'5", which I know is not super tall, but is tall enough to get pretty uncomfortable in places that a "normal" sized person would not have any trouble with. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm 6'4" and it's a pain but not an issue.

RichLew

Forum Probie
6'7" like stated above, it's a pain and yes you will hit your head numerous times, but it's not a deal breaker

cprted

Forum Captain
I'm taller than you and I manage just fine. I spend most of my time in the back sitting on the bench. I do admire people who can stand upright back there ... lol

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

It all depends on how well you handle nicknames.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
I'm 6'2" and it has never been a problem. I had a partner who was 6'6" and it was never an issue for him as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm 6' 2". I know you've got a boot of height on me, but honestly, I wouldn't let your height stop you. Anyone over about 5' 5" will have to watch their head in the back. And anyone over 2' 0" will have legroom problems up front, but like I said, don't let height alone stop you.

That's my opinion.

I'm 5'9" with my boots on and can stand straight up in the back of our boxes.

Have to duck under o2 trees and grab handles but other than that upright.

We have plenty of tall EMTs and Medics. My current partner is about your height. And his big complaint is posting not working in the back.

If you want to do it don't let your height hold you back.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Being 5 foot 5-6 inches myself I feel your pain ( :rofl: )

I haven't seen tall medics have a hard time. It's jut something you have to get used to.

joeboo

Forum Probie
I'm only 6' and hit my head alot. It has nothing to do with height, and everything to do with being aware of your surroundings and moving slowly and purposefully

Had a partner who was 6' 6' ....He did just fine

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
I wondered this same thing before I became an EMT too. I'm 6'4, and it's not that big of a deal being tall in the rig. You basically sit down unless it's a serious call. The only down side are the boots you have to wear, which gives you an extra two inches! Most of the smaller guys love them cause they're taller, but us tall people don't want to be taller in this situation. Once you have a rid along you will get the feel for the rig and find out it's not too bad.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The tallest guy I've worked with is 6'6". Well, two of them. Neither have ever voiced any issues about their height.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wondered this same thing before I became an EMT too. I'm 6'4, and it's not that big of a deal being tall in the rig. You basically sit down unless it's a serious call. The only down side are the boots you have to wear, which gives you an extra two inches! Most of the smaller guys love them cause they're taller, but us tall people don't want to be taller in this situation. Once you have a rid along you will get the feel for the rig and find out it's not too bad.

Even with a sick patient you should be seated and belted as much as humanly possible. Not much requires you to be standing in the back of the box while moving.

That's in a perfect world though. The one we live in is far from that.

Hats are head killers in the back of the ambulance. The brim hides stuff from your peripheral vision and can lead to some headaches, literally. Yet I still wear mine all the time.... :wacko:

saskvolunteer

Forum Lieutenant
I'm 6'7" and it isn't that bad. Everybody hits their head, we just do it more often :) Plus being a big dude can be handy on calls. It can also be a bit of a curse. If you aren't partnered up with someone at least close to your height, some lifting and moving is a bit of a pain.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I'm 5'5 and I've had a partner that was 6'7. Worked just fine after a few trial and errors of figuring out the best way to do everything.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
I'm 6'3'' and it's not too bad, as long as you sit most of the time hahah