Too Many Medics.

How Many Medics Does It take to work a Code?

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 7 41.2%

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • as many as show up...heck they can all input their ideas!

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We once had a discussion about the "optimal" number of persons for a code. What about ALS providers? How many medics is to many medics on a cardiac arrest?

In my last 4 shifts, we have had 3 codes (2 medical cause, 1 trauma). On the 2 medically caused arrests, there was 5 medics on scene on one and 4 medics on the other.

ALS fire sent their rescue (with 1 Medic and 1 EMT), and their Engine (with 2 Medics, 1 EMT). On our truck we had my medic and an orientee.

Same scenerio with the other, minus the orientee.

I have to say 4 medics on for one patient in cardiac arrest is TOOOOO MANY!!!

I'd say 2 is the best. Two ALS providers, two BLS providers are sufficient. Anybody else can be used to rotate out compressors, but more than 2 medics is to many...IMO.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I like three however I did have just me for over 20 yrs.. so 1 can do it but very tiring. Two to switch back and forth on CPR, with the new ratio. Personally, I don't mind helping out and doing CPR but giving med.'s checking ECG & EtCO2 etc.. keeps me busy enough.

I never allow more than 3, there is no room nor have I needed more than 3 except very rare combative patients, etc..

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Only one medic and 2 EMT-B's. Or if you have a Thumper then you can drop one emt-b.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I need 7. I to work the code and 6 to change a light bulb.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You know 6 medics who know how to :rolleyes: change a lightbulb? Wow......

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You know 6 medics who know how to :rolleyes: change a lightbulb? Wow......

no, I know 6 medics who together might be able to figure it out after calling medical control. Changing a light bug is not in their scope of practise.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Working for a private service, it depends on what the city is paying us. If we're not being paid, and only working off of patient transport money, then an ALS call gets two medics. If we're getting paid by the city, then they get three paramedics. Personally I think that three paramedics do an awesome job when they've worked together and each have a role.

The problem is when each Paramedic wants to perform ALS procedures, which I guess could happen. It's most common to see one Paramedic eat his or her ego and start collecting patient info, pill bottles, interviewing family. I don't care how much you want to believe some tasks are EMT-Basic tasks, I'd always want the person with the most experience and training working my code.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
If I was ever in the position of having two other medics on a call with me the ONLY place you would find me is in the driver's seat asking when the other two were ready to go to the hospital.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I never allow more than 3, there is no room nor have I needed more than 3 except very rare combative patients, etc..

R/r 911

Ok, Rid, my first thought when reading this was why would you be doing cpr on a combative patient?
scratchchin.gif
laught16.gif

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Personally, I prefer 2 paramedics and 2 basics/intermediates.

This allows somebody equal to your level to backstop you so that you don't make a mistake or forget something, provides enough people to rotate through CPR, and few enough people that you don't need crowd control around the patient.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
my opinion regarding this topic is based on the boston service area, meaning less than 10 min to the H. also, my service uses almost exclusively vans, als and bls.

during the workup, the more the merrier. one medic for the tube, one for the line and one for the monitor. plus the basics for the cpr. once the pt is lined up and ready to go, three guys in the back. the medic for the drugs and joules, and two basics for compressions and ventilatiuons. no room for any more.

just worked an ugly code a couple weeks ago and with the exception of the extra medics on scene, thats how we did it.\