Tips on getting into a hospital

toxik153

Forum Probie
Hi guys,

Im an EMT-B with ACLS provider card, EKG Aide, currently enrolled in medic school.

I have been looking to get into a hospital for about 3-4 months now. Multiple applications and have called to speak with HR as well. I have gone and visited multiple hospitals and all the responses are " You gotta apply online." I really just don't get it. I have been working in an ambulance service for about 3-4 months as well.

Who here has a hospital position? What helped you in acquiring that position? Any other tips?

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
So connections are more important than actual work experience and knowledge...and being a hardworking person pursuing a medical
career?<_<

stemi

Forum Crew Member
It's sad but true. All of the people I know that have gone from the field into a hospital have good friends/family that work for the hospital. I hate to say it, but they are far less qualified than the majority of applicants to begin with.

OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
I meant the comment in a sarcastic tone because I know it's true. It's such a stupid thing to deal with knowing that there are people who are less qualified or just lazier that get the jobs but people who work their butt off for the job don't get it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One of our local hospitals doesn't post openings for ER Techs anywhere. It is all kept on the internal. You either have to work in the hospital in a different position or you have to know people in order to even just apply.

Hospital positions are usually highly sought out due to higher pay and amazing benefits.

OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
Thanks desert. Here in my area they do post them publicly. I have also applied for an EMT position in general at a a local hospital. I know the benefits and pay is great for young guys in medic school and any other school for that matter.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a Medic and have applied to about half a dozen hospitals to date and have not had any luck. Granted, I'm in Florida which is inundated with Paramedics but they can still be difficult jobs to acquire without any connections.

Some hospitals can be a bit ridiculous with qualifications as well. I applied for an EKG Tech position and they wouldn't even let me interview because I wasn't a graduate of a 'EKG Technician' program. I explained that I was a Paramedic and was ACLS/PALS certified but she wouldn't budge.

I also applied for an ER Tech position at the same hospital and they wouldn't interview me for that either because I didn't have a CNA cert. Needlessly said, it can be a bit frustrating.

OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
Thanks 281. I understand the frustration. I had one hospital deny me outright stating that I'm not qualified for the position...which is an entry level position and I had all the requirements for.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks 281. I understand the frustration. I had one hospital deny me outright stating that I'm not qualified for the position...which is an entry level position and I had all the requirements for.

Today the bare minimum is not good enough. For every ED Tech position we will get well over 200 applications. Most will come prepared with the CNA and Phlebotomy certs. This makes them very marketable since they can then be utilized in other areas of the hospital. The ED Techs who do have more to offer and who will get floated will not view the minimalist like a team player since they will be a one trick pony sitting in the ER. It does not really matter if you are ACLS since that will not be part of your duties if you can not participate in the majority of routine basic (not EMT-Basic) tasks.

The other issue would be you going to school to be a Paramedic. This is not normally a hospital job so most employers will probably see you leaving for an ALS rig or FD in a few months. This probably would be right after the 90 day probationary period. It would be a waste to hire someone with the minimum cert and skills to train for a few months knowing they will leave. Some employers will probably wonder why you are not taking a BLS ambulance job if you want to be a Paramedic. Some managers might even assume you believe you are above dialysis and SNF calls since that is what many EMTs complain about when they enter an ED. Some managers might even see discussions like this and have an opinion formed when they do interview EMTs.

Let's use another post as an example.

Some hospitals can be a bit ridiculous with qualifications as well. I applied for an EKG Tech position and they wouldn't even let me interview because I wasn't a graduate of a 'EKG Technician' program. I explained that I was a Paramedic and was ACLS/PALS certified but she wouldn't budge.

This post shows they did very little research into the EKG Tech position. Most in EMS probably see this as just someone who does EKGs all day but that is only a small part of the job. Those who do exclusively EKGs all day are very, very rare.

If you had been a graduate of a tech program you would know to respond not with "I'm a Paramedic and have ACLS" but rather with what type of equipment specifically you have worked with for obtaining EKGs of various types and the software for downloading and uploading. What type of holter monitoring equipment and software did you use? How many and where did you do ETT, Nuc Med and Stress Echo testing? How many channels did you run? What program and scale? Are you credentialed with any CVT cert? Many "EKG Techs" now have Associates Degrees and can also do cath lab. ACLS is just one basic requirement that is in their job description and not their whole existence. If they want to use you as a PCT then definitely the CNA would be required. Believing your Paramedic cert includes or exceeds all this and meets department accreditation standards shows your overall attitude of the job.

For both, are you familiar with coding (not the ACLS type)? What type of charting software (Paragon, EPIC, CERNER)?

And, no matter how little opinion you have about some hospitals tasks, list them as a strong selling point especially if it is about patient care. But, you might be expected to live up to them if you state them.

OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
Clipper, thank you for the points you've made. All I have to say is yes, I do want to work on an ALS rig but I have plans to possibly become a Physician Assistant. I truly want to learn more and be more involved in medicine.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
This post shows they did very little research into the EKG Tech position.
Actually, I did do a little research into the EKG Tech position after I talked to her in the phone. This is what I found.

The 28-hour Electrocardiography/EKG Technician course, broken out into 4-hour sessions that take place over 7 consecutive weeks, provides initial education for EKG Technicians and other current or prospective healthcare professionals preparing for electrocardiography clinical training and practice. The course is tailored to adult learning styles and promotes retention of key concepts through interactive lectures, multimedia presentations, group discussions and activities, and hands-on lab practice. Students who successfully complete the course receive a course completion certificate from the American Red Cross Metro New York and are eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified EKG Technician (CET) exam.

Core Topics
Following is a summary of core topics covered in the Electrocardiography/EKG Technician course:

Coronary Anatomy and Physiology - location of the heart, major blood vessels, and structures of the heart; track blood flow through the heart; relevant aspects of the nervous system
Electrophysiology - characteristics of cardiac cells; polarization, depolarization, and repolarization; EKG waves, complexes, intervals and segments; cardiac pacemakers
Lead Morphology and Placement - names, function, and placement for 12 leads on an EKG.
Technical Aspects of the EKG - EKG controls and functions; EKG safety; EKG artifacts; distinguishing EKG artifacts from rhythms; troubleshooting artifacts.
Routine EKG - collect patient information, prepare patient, apply electrodes, record and print a 12-lead EKG.
Calculating Heart Rate - differentiate between three types of rhythm regularity; methods for calculating heart rate on a variety of EKG rhythm strips.
Basics of Rhythm Strip Interpretation - a systematic method for interpretation of EKG rhythm strips.
Common Rhythms Overview - an overview of the most common rhythms; discussion of causes of abnormal rhythms and potential effect on the patient; basic rhythm strip identification practice.
Basics of Cardiac Pharmacology - a level-appropriate overview of common cardiac drugs, their uses, potential side effects.
Introduction to Diagnostic Electrocardiography - overview of stress testing; Holter and event monitors.

http://www.redcross.org/ny/new-york/take-a-class/ekg-training

I would be lead to believe that a Paramedic course would supersede a 28 hours course on cardiology.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, I did do a little research into the EKG Tech position after I talked to her in the phone. This is what I found.

http://www.redcross.org/ny/new-york/take-a-class/ekg-training

I would be lead to believe that a Paramedic course would supersede a 28 hours course on cardiology.

If you are from Florida you probably should be looking at the 500 hour programs offered at the community colleges rather than something from the ARC in New York which is designed for a very different population like an EMT who just wants a weekend class with an overview and not a job in a cardiology department. I believe the ARC classes serve a specific purpose much like the O2 therapy does for the Dive boat employee.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Clipper, thank you for the points you've made. All I have to say is yes, I do want to work on an ALS rig but I have plans to possibly become a Physician Assistant. I truly want to learn more and be more involved in medicine.

Here is a good check list of skills and qualities of an ER Tech. Review and hit on some for buzz words to drop if you get an interview. I know it is old but some qualities still exist as do the skills.

http://ca-hwi.org/files/dacums/Emergency Room Technician.pdf

If you really want to go on for PA, go straight for it. Get the college degree and move forth. ER PA would give you a career and decent hours. CV Surgical PA, bad hours but rewarding. But, it is a long haul.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

toxik153

Forum Probie
Thanks again clipper, I like that checklist. I've got about 85% of those skills and the inventory portion is fairly easy of course.

LMedic90

Forum Ride Along
I've worked in three different hospitals as an ER Tech, Telemetry monitor tech, and Med/Surg tech, and the key to each was finding the director within the department, and getting in touch with them directly once finding out about an opening. I provided a little information about myself and expressed an interest in sitting down and discussing how I could be an asset to their team. Both times it worked and I had a formal interview within the week.

Sometimes it takes some digging to get the contact information but it shows initiative over a passive online application buried among hundreds of other applicants.