Tips for a new EMT-B, please!

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
Ok, so I've never started a "thread" before but that's how much I want some advice from people who've been the newbie! I was top in my EMT class and I love A&P/medical stuff & it just comes naturally to me. I did get some great clinical experience and was finally starting get the hang of things & to not feel like quite such an idiot on my last one ;)
Passed my NR & got my state license in May. After a few applications I got a call back then went to meet the guy, etc. & can start orientation within the next couple of weeks & get some PRN shifts there after that. So, it's hitting me that I'm not just the student now, and it's been a few months since clinicals/practicals and being familiar with equipment & knowing my pt assessments, etc. I'm nervous & about a few things in particular besides what I just mentioned. Soooo, I'd really like some tips/advice on:

*LIFTING & MOVING*I know that's a huge part of EMS & you're supposed to be able to lift at least 125 lbs. I only weigh like 117, so that is a concern of mine & I don't feel like I got much practice at all in class or on clinicals; they only let me lift an empty stretcher. I don't want to be the girl who ticks everybody off for lift assist with 185 lbs guy or who's partner does all the work. Will they teach me? Are there any specific exercises I can do??--(I do work out btw) I want to be able to lift my share and not let this get in my way!

*DRIVING THE AMBULANCE* I've never ever driven one! It wasn't part of my course. I told the guy who interviewed me & he said they would teach me ^_^ For some reason that didn't make me feel better about it. Oh & I had never been to that town till the other day so I don't know my way around either!

and might as well add *SELF-DEFENSE* after reading some things on here, I'd appreciate some tips on that too since they only give you a vague couple pages in the book w/ things like: the 3 R's, always have an out, don't go in the kitchen....

Anyway, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions & any others just on how to become a good EMT, b/c I want to become a Paramedic after I get some experience. Thanks =)

NJN

The Young One
First off, ask questions on anything you have even the slightest doubt on, and when your done asking questions, ask more questions. Your partner(s) or supervisor should understand this as they were once the newbie too.

Secondly, in my experience, Deadlifts should help you with lifting, as it teaches you proper form for the stretcher lifting motion.

As for Defensive tactics: PAGING DT4EMS Read some of the threads on defensive tactics and you can visit their site at www.dt4ems.com
And remember the people with the silver bracelets are your friends.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
NjNewbie did a fairly well job of covering it. as far as ambulance training...no one can drive an ambulance without being an EMT or Driver first...so a ton of people coming on have never driven one either. you should get a EVOC coarse when you start which will make you feel really comfortable about driving the ambulance when it all said and done. lifting, go to the fitness section on here and there are a ton of good tips on there for smaller people and females...and just out of shape individuals. Study your sheets, i bet when you get your first call that when you act with the FTO on scence you will be doing most things out of instinct. that is what your EMT class was all about and why you had so much repetition in the first place. Good luck, you'll be fine, just relax and enjoy.

JPINFV

Gadfly
*DRIVING THE AMBULANCE* I've never ever driven one! It wasn't part of my course. I told the guy who interviewed me & he said they would teach me ^_^ For some reason that didn't make me feel better about it. Oh & I had never been to that town till the other day so I don't know my way around either!

Serious question. Can you read a map? If not, pick up a Thomas Guide (or any other brand of street guide that shows all the streets, even the minor ones) and start practicing. Where I used to work, they had ambulances covering over 500 sq miles of suburban jungle. One day you might be in the southern end of the area. The next you might be in the northern end of the area, so it wasn't necessarily expected to know how to get everyplace. Thus, all of the units had Thomas Guides and everyone was expected to know how to use them. Just by working in the area you'll be able to start picking up where things are.

As far as driving, I'm willing to bet that most people's introduction to driving was once they started working. The biggest tips to remember is that it's not your small car. Try to start and stop as smoothly as possible (the 5 seconds saved by rapidly accelerating from a red light is not going to save enough time to balance out the disruption of patient care in the back). If something happens and you have to swerve or break hard, let the people in the back know (you can always yell "hard stop" as you're slamming on the breaks. It happens, and it will happen to you. Just don't make it a habit).

OP
OP
emtgirl515

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
Okay, I already feel better about the driving part. Thanks guys! I guess I need to start looking at maps in my spare time to get the familiar with the area, since I don't live there...still afraid about the lifting.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I am going to take my Ambulance Drivers license certification training on August 2nd. Want to go ahead and have it under my belt before I start class.

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
The first thing i could say is BREATH, RELAX and remember we have all been newbies. Mistakes do happen, we all have made them. Dont be afraid to ask questions about anything. What you learn in class is only the tip of the iceberg...... My instructors in the military and civilian EMS have all told me to go with my gut!!!! and most of the time it was dead on. ( i said most of the time, lol. ) But if all else fails -----> BREATH, RELAX and ask a lot of questions. I have faith that you will do fine.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Also try to remember that the ride in the back is 10 times rougher than the ride up front. How the vehicle handles is also important. There is a bit of a difference between a high-top van and a Modular. I've driven both and find the modulars are more stable. High top vans are top heavy, so avoid hard turns whenever possible. I also learned when I drove in LA to pay attention to what are refferred to as "stale greens" when driving lights and sirens. If the light up ahead has been green for a while, foot off the gas and "cover" the brake. That means; don't press it, just be ready to. And, above all else, if you expect the other drivers to do something reckless and stupid, you'll be more prepared when they actually do it.

As far as remembering training, I have always found that it came back to me every time I needed it to.

OP
OP
emtgirl515

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
great driving tips, especially about taking the turns & the stale green tip. Yeah, it definitely is 10 times rougher in the back!! ! I know it will all come to my mind once I get started again ;) Thank you, thank you.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
When driving, always drive like you have a steaming hot cup of coffee between your legs. Drive so that you don't burn yourself.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
great driving tips, especially about taking the turns & the stale green tip. Yeah, it definitely is 10 times rougher in the back!! ! I know it will all come to my mind once I get started again ;) Thank you, thank you.

When you start I would recommend asking your partner the same questions you asked us in pretty much the same words.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
As far as driving the ambulance, two things:
One: find a friend who has a big pickup, like a F-350 Turbo or something and drive it around. Get used to the engine size and handling. A pickup isnt an ambulance, but it is a step up from your average car.

Second: When you go in for your first day, belt yourself to the cot and have someone drive you around. It will give you an idea of what your patients will feel on the cot.

As far as lifting, two things:
One: Deadlift, deadlift, deadlift.
Two: Practice with the stair chair. Those things can be vicious when they want to be. Take a turn both at the top, and at the bottom.

As far as learning the area: Map practice and more of the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
emtgirl515

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
awesome advice, like the pick-up idea a lot just to get use to something larger! I'll start doing deadlifts again =)

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Always check your rig when you go on shift just because it was there last time doesnt mean its there now and what you found in the compartments could be totally switched around.