Thrown Under a Bus! Im SOO Angry!!!!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
My medic and I back each other up on everything. If she asks me to do something or I ask her and it blows up in our faces, we freakin stand there with each other and take whats coming to us. On Saturday she was off, so I had a relief medic working. He used to be full time, and for reasons I now know (wish I'd have known before) he is relief.

So we are pulling up to the hospital. Another unit from our service was right behind us. In the ambulance bay was a truck from another service, pulled in there in such a way neither one of us could get in. I told my medic we couldn't get in, hang I, I would go pull their truck forward. Its a common practice. If we are blocking their way, they move us out of their way. If they block us, we move them. Its a round-a-bout ambulance bay. Really poorly designed actually.

He said, Make sure that the crew is not in the ER first then go ahead.
They weren't there. So I did. Well guess what. That service got a new truck. It doesnt fit under ANY ambulance bay in ANY of the THREE COUNTIES they transport to. And I know this because I drove it right into the overhang at the hospital.

After a string of swear words back to my truck I tell him what happened and he will need to get the patient ready to go inside while I call our shift commander. Basically, he just had to get him off the monitor.

All I could get out on the Next-hell to our Shift CPT was I need you here now. He made it to the hospital in the time it took us to unload the patient.

As soon as I started telling him what happend that SOB, lying...making me say many more swear words here....I don't even want to give him the respect of calling him a Medic...how about SOB...began this chant....

"I told her not to do it. I told her it was a bad idea. She wouldn't listen to me. If she'd have just listened to me."

NO HE DIDN'T!!! If he would have, I would have said Ok, your the medic. Your in charge. We'll unload in the street. No problem.

And he actually took like 3 steps back as he was saying it. So I was standing there alone.

I think my head actually exploded. Right there in the parking lot. My head freakin exploded. But I didn't have a total melt down. I was stunned. Shocked. My Shift CPT said he thought I was going to pass out. He freakin tucked his tail between his legs and ran like scared puppy.

Once I realized I was on my own. All I could do was just tell him, I drove it. I was the one that caused the damage. They have always fit.

That was Saturday. I finished the shift Saturday. I worked yesterday. Yesterday, I got a letter of reprimand for causing or contributing to an accident. My Shift CPT, our Chief, and our County Director of Public Safety went to bat for me to keep my job. So I didn't loose it. I did however have my overtime taken away for 30 days.

My service is paying for a rental for the other service while their is repaired. The repairs. The cost of having it shipped to Ohio for those repairs. Apparently, where it hit was an A/C unit and it tore the top of the box. Peeled it like a can opener it did. Something about undermining the integrity of the box. You don't even want to know the estimate for total cost with rental and all. Oh, and the other service has said they are going to see if there is a way they can sue me personally.

And the medic with me that day. He made what he would consider an attempt and explaining why he stood there lied about telling me not to...blah blah blah blah blah....a$$hole. Something about trying to come back on full time and not wanting to ruin it....I had to walk away. I was seriously considering choking him down, right there. And I had the vision of it and everything.

You don't do that to someone. You just don't leave someone strung up like that. Its not right. Its just plain mean. I don't understand.

So at 0400 this morning, near the end of my shift is when I finally reached my breaking point. I hadn't told my regular partner any of it yet. Only that I had to have a meeting with the Cheif about some stuff. Something happened, can't really remember what, but I ended up sitting in the back of our truck just yelling at her and crying and having a freaking break down.

So what does she do? The big dork. She starts herself crying too.

Great. Now were both sitting in the truck with snot running, noses red, eyes all puffy.....How would you like to be our next patient and we are both a mess.

Thank God for Fire Fighters. They cancelled us on our next 2 calls. Gave us a chance to fix ourselves.

But you know, I just don't understand how anybody in anykind of decent conscience would toss someone under a bus like that and then stand back and watch the wreck without saying a word.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
That is a pretty ignorant and :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty thing for your partner to do. :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens plain and simple. And on that day it happened to you. Hopefully the next day it happens to your partner and bites him in the ***.

I really dont see how the other company can sue you. It was an accident which is why we have insurance. But sounds like that was a really sucky day...lol.. if that even begins to sum it up.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
ok, you learned a life lesson

Not everyone in this business is a team player, most are, but some are only going to look out for themselves. Your "partner" that day has probably been standing before in the path of the hurricane he knew was gonna blow your way because of what you did to the truck. Luckily for him he has plausible deniability, "I was taking care of the patient, blah, blah, blah..." He took the chicken poop way out and pointed a finger. Just remember when you point a finger, there are three fingers pointing at you. His reputation preceeds him, and ems is a small community. He won't last long anywhere pulling stuff like this.

On to you. Get an attorney, seriously. Retain one just in case. A civil case can ruin you financially. It sounds as if you have implied permission, based on your previous dealings with said company. You will need affidavits from their employees, and your own, stating this to be a common practice, and for how long it has been done. You will also need to know how they post warnings about the height of said vehicle. Did they just tell their employees in a meeting or inservice, or is there a posted warning on the dashboard? Also keep in mind that company bears some responsibility as to the fact they are leaving their ambulances unlocked, with the keys in the ignition, in violation of federal, state, or local regulations. Do they carry narcotics? I'm sure the DEA, their medical control, your state governing agency, and their insurance company will be most eager to talk to them about their lax attitude towards unit security.

Keep your chin up. If all of life's lessons were easily learned no one would pay attention. Now that you see what could happen, you should spread the word to your fellow crews to stay the hell away from other peoples units. Like my Mom used to say, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt."

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree to get some potential legal counsel. Be sure to not as oldschoolmedic described of making note that if any official notification of height, etc. was not instructed to you or other drivers.

I would not try to get other institutions involved such as DEA, insurance, etc.. you would be opening a can of worms to ruin your career. ( p.s. it is not illegal to keep an ambulance unlocked (these are only local ordinances) as long as there are a double lock system in the unit for narc's, although it's stupid not to.)

I would have a heart to heart talk to the medic, and advise him you understand his desire to return to full time. Since he left you out to dry, that you will inform others of his actions and with that type of behavior how many would trust him? He just killed his own desires.

Good luck...
R/r 911

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I can't speak with any authority on the legalities of what happened, so I'll stick with what I know: Life's a circle, and the refuse filled hurricane that got you today will get him tomorrow. Oldschoolmedic mentioned that EMS is a small world, and it's a reality. Take the high road, tell the truth, and don't abandon your integrity just because he abandoned his. The old saying is that buttholes win because they bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience. Don't let him win; tomorrow is another day. (FWIW, any partner who you can trust to tell your problems to and who then joins you in a good cry is worth their weight in gold. =) ) He'll get his, don't worry...

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I think we just should grab a few drinks and go do something to his car.

Most people I worked with are like that too, they're out for themselves, but the company has made them that way. :glare:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
d'oh

I can't think of much to add, so I shall attempt to cheer you up with a photo of an adorable puppy!

060705pet_lg.jpg

(I tried to put it inline, but no dice. Hrm!)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
for the record I was not advocating, in any way, notifying outside agencies about this situation. They will find out on their own, especially the insurance company. I am sure they will be delighted to know their $80,000 worth of covered vehicle is left unlocked with the keys in the ignition, and the attending crews don't say anything if their unit drives away, because they do it all the time. Every place I have worked has three sets of keys per truck, One for the medic, one for the crew member, and one for the ignition. All of the compartments are locked when the vehicle is idle, keeps our stuff from walking or driving away.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
First off...FM_Medic....that dog is dingdang adorable. Thanks.

***edit...I showed my son the puppy...he said, MAN THAT is ONE GIANT HAMPSTER!!!*** (freakin genius he is...but sometimes I wonder if they did the math wrong)

At the hospitals in our county we don't lock our vehicles and leave them running. Its "they way its done."

Personally, when i go out of county, or get out to eat or go into to our admin offices or lets face it, were a double girl crew...to shop (good lord time willing), I do shut it off and lock it up. But its just not done at the hospitals.

I find it interesting you guys pointed out about height notifications. There wasn't one on that truck. There isn't one on ours. And I will double check tomorrow, but I am 99.9% certain there isn't one on the hospital overhang. But, there might have been until I took it off.

The guys from the crew on the other truck were really great. They were the ones that told me their truck won't fit under any hospitals overhang in the 3 county area except 1.

Well tomorrow is another day. We'll see how it goes.

OH...one of the other Shift Commanders called me. He is a good friend also. He wanted to make sure I was okay and if I needed anything call him. And then the big ole jerk says... "Oh, If Gulf Flight is in your way, would you please refrain from moving it." <_< :blush: :p :rolleyes: And then he just dissolved into laughter. And the jokes just keep rolling in.

Gulf Flight is our counties Medical Helicopter.

I am thinking I am the only person in the entire county that isn't yet seeing the humor in this. My regular partner assures me, it will be a funny story to relate to our trainees. We'll see.

On the bright side.....

With no OT allowed for me for the next 30 days, I am getting to do some really great Clinical shift time for the 200 hours in the ER we are required to have by December 15.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medivixen

Forum Crew Member
well dont feel too bad about the other services truck....if you can''t design a building that is specifically made to fit ambulances under tall enough to fit the bus under then its their fault.
THis happened to a crew that I knew....it was sooo freaken funny...we all took pictures....They had to let the air outta the tires to get it out...
as for that other medic...slap him upside the head a couple times

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Do put an attorney on retainer, preferrably the one they would probably use, which prevents them from using that one. That doesn't lock you into using that one, but prevents them from doing so. Also, instead of putting in all those clinical hours, spend the time getting video of others doing the same thing, preferrably the other service involved. Better yet, take the video WHILE you are doing clinical.
Good luck. Maybe we will need to start a "Save the Princess" fund...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, I would emphasize that maybe "preplanning" purchasing a unit that would fit under most ER canopies would be helpful... I don't think I would take the rap on this one..

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
wow, If that happened to me, I'd say the hell with my job (you guys know I don't like it that much anyway) and they would be removing my foot from his rectum right now in OR.

p.s., love the puppy

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
First off...FM_Medic....that dog is dingdang adorable. Thanks.

***edit...I showed my son the puppy...he said, MAN THAT is ONE GIANT HAMPSTER!!!*** (freakin genius he is...but sometimes I wonder if they did the math wrong)

*sniffle* Aw, thanks, you're looking into my future. :-D

"WTF?" you say? I'm not a Paramedic yet. ;-)

hope everything turns out ok... and you're probably going to get a whole bunch of bad jokes about this. Hopefully they chalk it up to a big "whoops" and let it go.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow.

That wasn't a bus, Princess... that was a big-rig tractor trailer towing 2 extra trailers (you ever see that?). That has to hurt.

Ok. from what it sounds like, they put an external A/C unit on the roof. You couldn't tell that from the side... the truck didn't look any taller than anything else.

The idea of a lawyer is probably a good one. If you have HPSO malpractice insurance, you should look into their policies, otherwise, look for a good lawyer to have "just in case" Yeah... it might cost a couple of hundred bucks, but it could save your butt in the long run.

I almost feel you should "push the issue" with the lying partner. That behavior isn't acceptable. At the least, your chief/captain should have a sit-down with him that he needs

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Continuation....
That he needs to apologize. Perhaps, this even hits a point where they shouldn't trust him anymore. If he is found to be lying, I think he should be canned. If he will lie about a vehicle accident, will he be truthful if he makes a medication error?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The situation sucks and your partner sucks. The good thing is that damaging the rig happens all the time in EMS, though this situation may be a bit more difficult than others.

Stay strong, keep doing what you love doing, and kick your partner square in the... nevermind.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Stay strong, keep doing what you love doing, and kick your partner square in the... nevermind.

Adding an assault charge probably wouldn't help the situation or her service - imagine, 1 EMT in jail and a Paramedic lying on the ground holding an ice pack somewhere he never thought he'd be holding one.

Although EMTprincess might feel better, it might cause more strife in the long run. :D

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
and kick your partner square in the... nevermind.

That is so appealing.

and you're probably going to get a whole bunch of bad jokes about this.

Lets see...so now one of my friends is calling me "Crash". We had a "Meet the Flight Crew" PR thing yesterday. When I got there, the pilot stepped in front of the door and said "WHOA. Watch out, this might be in her way." One of the medics pulled up to the ER, asked one of the other EMT's if he plans on moving his truck or should he have his partner "pull a Deana." Oh, and there was our Medical Director that met me at the doors to the ER to ask "Where in the protocols do I have anything about A/C repair?"

Yesterday my partner called in sick. I spent the first half of the day being our Shift Commanders B**tch. Basically, running errands for him. About 5 he says he has found one Medic (this guy) who will come in (we needed 2) and he would let me choose if I wanted to put my truck up with that Medic or I could put the BLS truck in service with the extra part time EMT he had and he would send the PT Medic to the other truck that needs one.

What a hard choice. My CPT called me this morning to tell me its obvious theres more we need to talk about because he has never had anybody jump so quickly on the BLS truck as I did last night. So on Monday he said he will make a point to meet with me to find out the rest of what happened.

Medic38572

Forum Crew Member
But you know, I just don't understand how anybody in anykind of decent conscience would toss someone under a bus like that and then stand back and watch the wreck without saying a word.

Welcome to EMS it is the most two-faced,Back-bitting, throat -slashing business Ihave ever been in! Take care of your partner when you get a good one!