Things we can do nothing about?

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Go back and check the NREMTs newsletters. The "EMT-Paramedic" is to be known as "Paramedic". Currently the post-nominals are still "NREMT-P", but when 're-certified' it will then be "NRP" for Nationally Registered Paramedic.

This is due to the NHTSA taking EMT off of Paramedic.

I'm aware of what the future holds. But for the time being, I'm afraid medics still have to mingle with the likes of their fellow EMTs. I hear that in 2018, the Registry will be replacing the "medic" in Paramedic with "god."

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm aware of what the future holds. But for the time being, I'm afraid medics still have to mingle with the likes of their fellow EMTs. I hear that in 2018, the Registry will be replacing the "medic" in Paramedic with "god."

Why is it that people get so upset when the difference in education that creates a vast knowledge gulf is pointed out? I'm not saying EMTs are not important. They're simply not the same.

That's it, I'm going to be PO'd until physicians start putting "paramedic" in their name. Paramedic-MD and Paramedic-DO. I mean, they do some of the same stuff I do...

Last edited by a moderator:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
It rained while I was riding my motorcycle home from work the other day. I was not expecting it to rain due to only a 10% chance.... gah.

Clearly you should ride your bike across the state and make it rain!

Yes! Precisely. I wish all systems had the same latitudes to allow certain EMTs the ability to do things others with the same level of certification, but the ones around me aren't so progressive.

So you're saying that EMTs should be given some latitude? Just not in your area?

Elk Oil said:

Well if he can get it to rain, we might call him god for the next few months...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Oh gimme a break. It's not like that at all, and you're just showing yourself here.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Because it's so bad to want your proper title used :glare:

I had a partner who scoffed at people who wrote "NREMT-B" "NREMT-I(##)" or "NREMT-P" on forms. Sorry, I earned the title, I'm going to use it... and use the proper one.

I don't see people freaking out if an RN states that they are an RN and not an LVN or CNA... why does a Paramedic get labeled as a Paragod for doing the same? It's a proper title, just like PhD, MD, DO, OD, PA, NP, RN, etc etc.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

I had a partner who scoffed at people who wrote "NREMT-B" "NREMT-I(##)" or "NREMT-P" on forms. Sorry, I earned the title, I'm going to use it... and use the proper one.

I don't see people freaking out if an RN states that they are an RN and not an LVN or CNA... why does a Paramedic get labeled as a Paragod for doing the same? It's a proper title, just like PhD, MD, DO, OD, PA, NP, RN, etc etc.
It's gonna take me 4 years and $250,000 to earn that M and D after my name and dammit! I'm going to use them!

JPINFV

Gadfly
I always find it funny when EMTs play the entire, "but but but historically it's been EMT-Paramedic. Hence you're an EMT too and the same as us" card. It's like a physician assistant saying they're the same as a physician since their title includes the word "physician" or CNAs getting mad at LVNs who then get mad at RNs who finally get mad at NPs since all of their titles have the word "nurse" in it.

1849370729_LOL_YOU_MAD_my_favorite_snack_s407x405_116634_580_xlarge.jpeg

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's gonna take me 4 years and $250,000 to earn that M and D after my name and dammit! I'm going to use them!
Just remember, you can't spell "doctor" without "DO."

Why do I feel so incredibly dirty for using that line all of a sudden?

JPINFV

Gadfly

When I was working as an EMT near the end of my grad school I'd sign my name, "JPINFV, BS, EMT-B" every once in a while for no better reason than I could.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member

I don't see people freaking out if an RN states that they are an RN and not an LVN or CNA... why does a Paramedic get labeled as a Paragod for doing the same? It's a proper title, just like PhD, MD, DO, OD, RN, etc etc.

Unless I grossly misunderstand, until the changes take effect, the proper title is NREMT-P. Isn't it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Unless I grossly misunderstand, until the changes take effect, the proper title is NREMT-P. Isn't it?

For NREMT, however some states, such as California, have already removed the "EMT" part from the paramedic title. So in California, there are no more EMT-Paramedics regardless of NREMT status. On a side note, I can't claim to be an EMT-I anymore either...

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I always find it funny when EMTs play the entire, "but but but historically it's been EMT-Paramedic. Hence you're an EMT too and the same as us" card. It's like a physician assistant saying they're the same as a physician since their title includes the word "physician" or CNAs getting mad at LVNs who then get mad at RNs who finally get mad at NPs since all of their titles have the word "nurse" in it.

1849370729_LOL_YOU_MAD_my_favorite_snack_s407x405_116634_580_xlarge.jpeg

No, but when the title actually is NREMT-[letter], what's funnier, the EMTs who feel put off or the medics who feel all of a sudden they're no longer EMTs?

JPINFV

Gadfly
No, but when the title actually is NREMT-[letter], what's funnier, the EMTs who feel put off or the medics who feel all of a sudden they're no longer EMTs?
No more funnier than the EMTs who conveniently forget that there's a "basic" in their title.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

The post-nominals are NREMT-P for members of the National Registry. The title is Paramedic.

The post-nominals are PhD, but the title is Doctor.

Post-nominals are RN, but title is Registered Nurse.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Has a paramedic EVER been equivalent to an EMT?

I haven't really thought of myself as an EMT in years...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
:nosoupfortroll:

If you want to be a paramedic, sack up, go to school and earn it. All paramedics were EMTs at one point they are no longer an EMT though.
Can we be done here please?

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Has a paramedic EVER been equivalent to an EMT?

I haven't really thought of myself as an EMT in years...

I wasn't trying to say that there's an equivalence when each level of EMT certification has very different training and skills. Like a cardiologist, dermatologist and neurosurgeon are all physicians, Basics, Intermediates and Paramedics are all EMTs.

But to Linuss' point, that's all changing, so it'll be a moot point in the near future.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It already did change if I understand correctly. It changes when you recert. NREMT-P is old news.