Things left behind.....

chadwick

Forum Crew Member
Almost,

We took an 8 hour transfer BLS, my partner and I were so tired that we almost left our stretcher, clip board and portable oxygen in the ER of the hospital we transferred to. They had the nicest staff, one of the local ambulance crews took us up to the cafeteria and we had a pretty good breakfast considering it was hospital food. The ER staff told us not to worry about our stretcher just slid it in this little hallway by the decon room and it would be left alone. Happened to glance over at it as we were heading out the door.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
left clipboard (I am famous for leaving it in the amb when we take the patient inside the ...ecf, er, home).

working private service, my partner and I followed a 911 truck to their scene, with their cot ontop of our cot.

O2 tanks, glucometers.

working wheel chair van I left the patient. went to the VA, had 8 people in wheelchairs, asked who was mr so n so. person raised his hand, loaded him up, took him to ECF. he thanked me, THEN said that he lived at a different one, and just wanted a ride around town. dropped him off at his normal ecf, (on the way back to VA for correct patient) and we ended up with the contract for the 1st guys ecf, due to me being so nice to him (and he was the father of the owner).

Left my ambulance at the hospital on a l o n g night shift. was on a different truck than normal. walked out of ED and got into my normal truck with my normal partner and left. no one said anything, took me almost an hour and two runs to realize what I did. dispatch and supervisor just left us like that the rest of the night.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I left yet ANOTHER freaking glucometer kit. I don't know where. We had only had two calls that morning, one at the police station, and the second one was a vertigo call where we noticed the glucometer was longer with us. We know it was there when we started, we checked it off and replaced an expired tube of glucose. We didn't use it at the police station, but figured it must have fallen out of our bag there somehow. To date, they have yet to find it.

Frustrating, but that's life I guess.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I left yet ANOTHER freaking glucometer kit. I don't know where. We had only had two calls that morning, one at the police station, and the second one was a vertigo call where we noticed the glucometer was longer with us. We know it was there when we started, we checked it off and replaced an expired tube of glucose. We didn't use it at the police station, but figured it must have fallen out of our bag there somehow. To date, they have yet to find it.

Frustrating, but that's life I guess.
I know of one crew that walked out and left their defib/monitor sitting in a patient's house after a refusal of transport. The patient's son came walking into the station about an hour later holding it. He looked at me and goes, "I don't know what this thing is, but it looked important so I figured all y'all might want it back as quick as possible."

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I've left pens, penlights, notepads, extra gloves, a trash bag(got a call while doing house keeping), sun glasses, hats, pillows, partners, and interns.

Never left any really important equipment behind, though.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
I try and keep a count on all of my gear as I am financially responsible for it now. Having said that, one of my safety vests went for a trip on the rescue helicopter the other week... I didnt even know it was gone until it turned up the next day at the event I was working at. I dread to think how much equipment I have left behind...

I know this is not EMS related, but I used to work in the mining industry as conveyor belt fitter. I heard a story of a coworker, who thinking that someone would steal his tools, engraved his name and company name on them. He dropped a shifter onto a running conveyor belt below and it eventually made its way to China. The company that found it in their system was very nice and sent it back to him - on a first class air ticket.

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
A friend of mine left his partner at the hospital and didn't realize it until he had driven 30-45 min. away. He thought he was sleeping in the back.

lmao i don't have any stories from work since im just a basic student, but once my dad was on vaca and left my 84 year old diabetic grandfather that has Mac Degen at a gas station, so funny.

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
i'm guilty of leaving behind a gurney and O2 bag at the hospital. also an O2 bag at a patient's house, but luckily while transporting we turn around in a cul-de-sac and drive by the house again, seeing the patient's family throwing it out on the lawn.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
we turn around in a cul-de-sac and drive by the house again, seeing the patient's family throwing it out on the lawn.[/QUOTE]

How Rude :lol:

captainbeatty

Forum Probie
I lost the keys to the squad at a hospital about 30 miles away from our station. Our mechanic had to run another set of keys to us. I also heard this exchange on the scanner one night:
Dispatcher: Base to car 10
Officer: Go ahead
D: Do you know where your hat is?
O: (After a long pause) No
D: Well, I do.
O: All right, mark me enroute back to station.

Hockey

Quackers
I left my boots on the back of the rig after leaving the hospital.

Didn't realize till about a half mile down the road.

You'd be surprised on what stays on the back of the rig going down a road

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
Left a collar bag & bls jump bag on scene of a multi car mva in the pouring rain... checked the fire department's trucks, the cars at the junk yard (luckily the drivers were still hanging around) and finally.. the back of the ambulance. Someone had shoved the bags in the one cabinet we don't use.

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
Left a collar bag & bls jump bag on scene of a multi car mva in the pouring rain... checked the fire department's trucks, the cars at the junk yard (luckily the drivers were still hanging around) and finally.. the back of the ambulance. Someone had shoved the bags in the one cabinet we don't use.

ALWAYS the last place you look.

anyways... you have an empty cabinet? HOW?

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
ALWAYS the last place you look.

anyways... you have an empty cabinet? HOW?

That much is very true.

And I said it was the one we don't use. It's not empty, just filled with stuff we don't use much, like oxygen, and splints and blankets. ;)

Actually, it was in the back of the cabinet behind the child seat. We didn't look there at first because we didn't take any equipment out of there to begin with.

whatevah

Forum Probie
left the IV bag (no drugs!) and triple pump at a pickup location for a critical care transport bus. We left the room in a hurry to clear for an incoming trauma and we all thought somebody else grabbed it. And, naturally it's a bright orange bag. That facility called our base hospital an hour later to remind us we needed to go back. Fortunately, it's only 10 minutes away.

FDNYChick

Forum Probie
left my stretcher in the er and went on another run to find out that it wasnt in my truck when i got there.luckliy it was a walkie/talkie so they sat on the bench and took a trip to bellvue

Subliminal

Forum Probie
D tank outside of a facility. I can't even remember why I took it off the stretcher in the first place (Im sure it was a really good reason :blink: ). Realized it about 4 miles down the road. My partner and I had a good laugh about it beings that it was about 4 AM.

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
oy... left a gurney at the ER last night and went on a run. needless to say, fire was a little pissed at me. :unsure:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh, I bet they were!!!!!!! Kittay, are you overnights?