Thermometers

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Naturally, temperature is a vital sign. So what model/brand or type of thermometers are y'all using on your rigs or just have in your gear? I'm looking to get one for use in SAR, but I am spoiled at work by the $300+ WelchAllyn beasts. At the same time, I am hesitant to bother with a CVS-branded "8 second" thermometer. I'm looking to find some middle ground, or just say screw it and get the cheap ones and hope the EMS system supporting us has thermometers.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Kind of pointless in SAR. If they're hot, cool them. If they're cold, warm them.

OP
OP
O

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Kind of pointless in SAR. If they're hot, cool them. If they're cold, warm them.

Which is why I'm not too hesitant to say screw it, but I'm willing to see if there is a feasible solution.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
I took a temp yesterday for the very first time because the mom wanted to know. He had a nice little fever (104.5) but knowing that info didn't change any of the patient care decisions we made. The thermometer we used was just like the one I'd have at home if I was a parent.

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I took a temp yesterday for the very first time because the mom wanted to know. He had a nice little fever (104.5) but knowing that info didn't change any of the patient care decisions we made. The thermometer we used was just like the one I'd have at home if I was a parent.
104.5 isn't a nice little fever, that's extremely high. I would consider a "nice little fever" as something like 100.1 or 101.1.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
My agency buys these el-cheapo temporal thermometers that don't work worth a darn. They break easy and aren't reliable at all... I sincerely wish we'd invest in some decent ones...

JPINFV

Gadfly

1. What's the criteria for SIRS/Sepsis?

2. "If you don't take a temperature, you can't find a fever." -House of God.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Temp is only one entry point for our sepsis protocol. I'm usually more inclined to activate on a >4.0 mmol/L lactate (with other clinical signs) We have "temp strips that show a round number temp and axilla probes for use with the Lifepak.

AVParamedic1

Forum Ride Along
for my personal kit I have a BRAUN ThermoScan which is just a cheaper version of the Welch Allyn ThermoScan Pro4000, very good and reliable. the local hospital has changed to the BRAUN from the Welch Allyn as it is cheaper.
cost around $70-$80 in Australia compared to $200 for the Welch Allyn

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
1. What's the criteria for SIRS/Sepsis?

2. "If you don't take a temperature, you can't find a fever." -House of God.

I'm not sure I 100% trust that number, but it's what the thermometer said so it's what I wrote down. The person was sick, don't get me wrong, but not in any critical kind of way.

Drax

Forum Captain
I'm not sure I 100% trust that number, but it's what the thermometer said so it's what I wrote down. The person was sick, don't get me wrong, but not in any critical kind of way.

Definite recommendation of being seen at the hospital and BLS transport. I'd even retake that temperature. Whether I thought the device was good or not, it is the device my service provided to me, that is the information it gave, and I would act accordingly based on the reading and protocols. If this were an environmental emergency, then it would be near criteria for ALS upgrade.

Granted that is for environmental emergencies. So if you were just seeing a patient for cold/flu-like symptoms. I'd probably consult with ALS. Either way, recommend transport.

What do your protocols say?

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Our thermometers are very basic -- just cheap thermometers with a stack of sheaths available. I would like something better, but I'm leary to spend my own money.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Temp is only one entry point for our sepsis protocol. I'm usually more inclined to activate on a >4.0 mmol/L lactate (with other clinical signs) We have "temp strips that show a round number temp and axilla probes for use with the Lifepak.

Well, lactate isn't a criteria for SIRS/SEPSIS. It is for severe sepsis and septic shock... which is what people generally care about. That said, just because a septic patient doesn't make it into alert criteria yet for severe sepsis doesn't mean you shouldn't have an increased index of suspicion for a patient who clinically looks sick and meets sepsis criteria (HR, RR or PaCO2, Temp, and WBC or Bands, granting that most people can't check PaCO2 or WBC/Bands).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well, lactate isn't a criteria for SIRS/SEPSIS. It is for severe sepsis and septic shock... which is what people generally care about. That said, just because a septic patient doesn't make it into alert criteria yet for severe sepsis doesn't mean you shouldn't have an increased index of suspicion for a patient who clinically looks sick and meets sepsis criteria (HR, RR or PaCO2, Temp, and WBC or Bands, granting that most people can't check PaCO2 or WBC/Bands).

Our sepsis criteria involves lactate, HR, temp, ETCO2, and BP along w/ RR. But a temp that high would be extremely suspcisios of sepsis

hops19

Forum Probie

But how long do you cool them if they are suffering hyperthermia? Without a valid temperature you don't know when it is safe to transport...

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
But how long do you cool them if they are suffering hyperthermia? Without a valid temperature you don't know when it is safe to transport...

I'm sorry!?! I'm transporting them as soon as I can get to a rig. The temperature at the hospital will yield much better treatment than my thermometer in the middle of a campground somewhere.

hops19

Forum Probie
I'm sorry!?! I'm transporting them as soon as I can get to a rig. The temperature at the hospital will yield much better treatment than my thermometer in the middle of a campground somewhere.

Body temp of >104 for greater than 30 minutes often results in fatality. Immediate cooling is necessary in whatever means possible. If you in a SAR-type situation, prep for heat stroke treatment on site needs to be in plans...