There is nothing like a good Hatzalah video...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

mycrofft

And isn't saving a life (without other recourse) a basis for exceeding the alloted actions?

OP
OP
G

goidf

Forum Crew Member
Like mycrofft said, when it comes to potential danger to life. Some communities do hire non Jews to do some of the driving, but in most, the volunteers respond like any other day.

mycrofft

The concept of an inner-city volunteer EMS responder is unique here. I wonder what sort of interface they have with government and private providers, or if they just "license up" like a private?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Maybe NYmedic can fill us in on how they work with 911, But I believe that most of the clients that would use Hatzalah call them directly on a seven digit number. I've always been impressed with the service they provide.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This model of care is not particularly unique in NYC with all the "voluntary" services, serving small portions of the community, but Hatzolah is unique in that their patients likely wouldn't seek care elsewhere. Ive working with and around Hatzolah in a few different places, and have a lot of respect for them. Each community's service is managed individually, and internally governed based on the local interpretations of Jewish law. Many "branches" have excellent relationships with other providers, and a minority do not. I seem to remember reports of police ticketing and booting ambulances outside their stations (likely for good reason), ambulances discriminating who they respond to, and who they allow to volunteer (allowing only religious men who meet observance criteria). Its also worth noting, in some areas, many members are physicians, etc functioning as EMTs, and there have been reports of scope of practise violations.
Within Israel, Hatzolah functions to augment the national ambulance service. All members hold the same training and credentials as MDA employees, and function as first responders within certain religious neighborhoods. They also contribute to the disaster preparedness plan and supplement staffing when necessary.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I've heard some horror stories about this organization, but who knows if they're true or not.

OP
OP
G

goidf

Forum Crew Member
Horror stories, well every organization has some... some unfortunately true, others not so much.... Hatzalah in NYC has one central dispatch but each neighborhood runs its own volunteers and buses. I believe there are over 50 buses thought the city. Hatzalah here is politically well connected, and I believe there are even a few FDNY EMS chiefs who are in Hatzalah.
I believe in some communities upstate, are part of the 911 response.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Horror stories, well every organization has some... some unfortunately true, others not so much.... Hatzalah in NYC has one central dispatch but each neighborhood runs its own volunteers and buses. I believe there are over 50 buses thought the city. Hatzalah here is politically well connected, and I believe there are even a few FDNY EMS chiefs who are in Hatzalah.
I believe in some communities upstate, are part of the 911 response.

They service a good portion of the Catskills, it is apparently a hugely popular vacation spot with the Hasidic people

We have two chapters in my area. One chapter services a section of the coast that is a conservative or reformed jewish population, very wealthy but decidedly seasonal. They still operate year round but are not in the 911 system directly. They can be requested to respond to 911 incidents but usually gain jobs through direct calls

The other chapter operates in Lakewood which has a strong Hasidic community year round, including the largest Yeshiva outside Israel. The operate a BLS agency that work with the municipal EMS agency and will be dispatched based on call location or the wishes of the caller. They also operate an ALS unit in partnership with the local ALS project to provide that service to the same population. They also operate rescue services, which is interesting to watch considering their wardrobe.

My experience has been wholly positive with their EMTs and Medics. Most work other jobs besides Hatzolah and will pick up shifts on the regular ALS units. They can be a little crazy with their volunteers and the light packages they put in their minivans but i find it inspiring that they have such a strong sense of community and heritage. They are generally very knowledgeable and very educated, and thus very professional.

They are exempt from Shabbos when performing life-saving activities, but they a closely monitored by the Rabbinical Council in Lakewood so that they do not use their driving exemptions to their personal benefit. Basically they can drive the ambulance and operate whatever machinery they need as part of their EMS responsibilities but can not do anything else. So no stops at the convenience store on the way back from the hospital, no TV while in station, ect

mycrofft

I'm checking with my wife's cousin in law, the rabbi in Florida. MAybe he will even weigh in, I left the EMTLIFE url for him.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
There is a Hatzalah service not far from me in the Catskills during the summer where a large Jewish population comes to vacation. They double the population of the town, and as far as I have heard the local EMS community has few qualms about Hatzalah. The local rural EMS system would be over taxed with the influx of people if they did not bring their own rig and they are happy to respond to 911 calls as mutual aid if needed. But they are normally privately dispatched.

I wish the residents of my town were as enthusiastic about Volunteer EMS as people in Hatzalah communities are.

Im curious if any of the readers here could help me out with how they can use redlights in their POV's and respond direct to scene. It is my understanding that POV to the scene is a big no-no for NYSDOH.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
There is a Hatzalah service not far from me in the Catskills during the summer where a large Jewish population comes to vacation. They double the population of the town, and as far as I have heard the local EMS community has few qualms about Hatzalah. The local rural EMS system would be over taxed with the influx of people if they did not bring their own rig and they are happy to respond to 911 calls as mutual aid if needed. But they are normally privately dispatched.

I wish the residents of my town were as enthusiastic about Volunteer EMS as people in Hatzalah communities are.

Im curious if any of the readers here could help me out with how they can use redlights in their POV's and respond direct to scene. It is my understanding that POV to the scene is a big no-no for NYSDOH.
When they operate here in NJ, they have red lights because they are certified as actual emergency vehicles. This involves either being owned by an agency or being equipped with certain supplies.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

I am not sure how any informed EMS provider could be "concerned" about this organization in any way.

They have the same training and equipment as everyone else. They actually do what it takes to be able to effectively help.

It sounds more like these rural responders have issues other than the service provided by Hatzalah.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
From what I understand, many of their senior members have POV's licensed as response vehicles, especially the medics.

They do a lot of good, however there are also a fair number of horror stories about them - POV/response vehicles being driven dumbly, tickets over parking, etc.

In the end - they are a volunteer agency that serves a community. Somewhat out of the ordinary, their population is defined by religious boundaries to a point, as well as geographic boundaries.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
From what I understand, many of their senior members have POV's licensed as response vehicles, especially the medics.

They do a lot of good, however there are also a fair number of horror stories about them - POV/response vehicles being driven dumbly, tickets over parking, etc.

In the end - they are a volunteer agency that serves a community. Somewhat out of the ordinary, their population is defined by religious boundaries to a point, as well as geographic boundaries.

So how is this different from any other EMS agency?