The whole acting off duty topic.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I feel now compelled to carry my pocket mask everywhere.

There are people who know I took an EMT class, who would expect me to do CPR, but sort of like the Seinfeld at the health club where Jerry and George did not want to do CPR, I would hesitate to put my mouth on say, my parents, sister, girlfriends father, pretty much any male, and many females.

But now like my wallet, I feel obligated to grab this face mask, and I am trying to go on a "pocket diet" , another Seinfeld refrence.

I am always calling 911 whenever I see anything needing a professional response, and if I am a stranger, and alone, I call 911. I did that as an LEO, my employer hinted they prefered that. The only time i got into it was when I was meeting someone to go to a bar, another LEO, and I arrived and he was subduing a guy assaulting EMS workers, (of all people)I cuffed one arm, walked him to the ground with verbal commands and pressure to the wrist, then cuffed the other arm, then sat him up and waited for the local cops.

Had I been alone, I would have just called 911. Really only in the middle of the wilderness or if no on duty response was within 5 minutes would I ever take further action. Generally, the local authorities discourage bystander instervention, even if trained but from somewhere else.

So anyway, This thread is sort of me thinking aloud...what are anyone's thoughts on this, the carry a face mask part ?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
yeah, you carry a face maak. Nothing wrong with it. The problme becomes when you have your own AED.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
you must be a mind reader...I sort of told myself I should get an AED once I start working, maybe just bring when spending time with friends and family, strangers if the scene is safe, it is part of CPR, and LEO's buy personal fire arms 'just in case"...

Could a pocket AED be made, like the implanted ones? Or maybe not, need to many amps to get through skin....?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The problme becomes when you have your own AED.

I literally LOL'd at that.

you must be a mind reader...I sort of told myself I should get an AED once I start working, maybe just bring when spending time with friends and family, strangers if the scene is safe, it is part of CPR, and LEO's buy personal fire arms 'just in case"...

Could a pocket AED be made, like the implanted ones? Or maybe not, need to many amps to get through skin....?

Are you carrying a hard cased pocket mask with you, or one that folds and is in your wallet or keychain?

LEO's carry to protect themselves and others from death. Not to bring someone back from it.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah, you carry a face maak. Nothing wrong with it. The problme becomes when you have your own AED.

Don't get me started on that. We have a local first responder, you know the type... Personal vehicle with FF tag that has at least 4 star of life's on it, "Emergency Responder" on the back, and a bag full of OPA/NPA, collars, a KED (Yes, you heard me right, this dude has his own KED), and an AED he has some how saved up enough money to purchase between his time working with the volunteer fire department and changing the grease traps at McDonalds.

I am just so thankful that the AED will only shock if necessary, otherwise this kat would be truly dangerous.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

No, no, no, no, no. That's just too far.

LEO's carry off duty (and I believe everyone should) to protect themselves. Their job is inherently dangerous as I'm sure you know, some ****** that you took to jail recognizes you on the street and gets his hood-rats to mess you up, it's a very real risk.

When you clock out at the end of your shift in EMS, you are done, the work doesn't follow you home. A cardiac patient isn't going to see you on the street and go "Hey, I know that guy! He's an EMT/Medic that took me to the hospital! I'll go have an MI in front of him, that'll teach him!"

I understand that you want to be able to do everything you can for your family, but if someone's going to die, they're going to die. You have to get the "if I only had x" ideas out of your head. Everything you should do to help off duty can be accomplished with your cell phone and a pair of gloves. The pocket mask - that I can understand, however, I've heard that when the new AHA guidlines come out they will advocate continuous chest compressions only for bystander CPR. And that is exactly what you are off-duty, a bystander trained in first-aid. Nothing more, nothing less.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A good many of us get excited after finishing EMT class and think that we're going to save the world. I had a fully stocked BLS bag in my trunk, and a pocket face mask. I thought that I'd find someone choking, in arrest in a supermarket or running track, needing C-spine in an MVA, etc.The feeling will pass. My bag collected dust, and the AHA just wants bystanders to do compressions only, anyway. Backboards and C-collars seem to do more harm than good.

I get enough excitement at work, and you'll probably feel the same when you do 911 at some point. I knew a medic that was trying to get his medical director to let him keep and use his own personal tube kit to save the world off duty. If that sound ridiculous, that's because it is. Posessing a personal AED and maybe O2 is really the same thing. It's like an off duty FF carrying a can of dry chem for car fires along with a married pair for forcible entry.

There were a few occasions where an off duty EMT or medic were onscene giving aid prior to our arrival. Unless you were doing CPR or bleeding control, you're just getting in the way of our assessment and treatment. I don't need a five minute, detailed novel on the pt's situation up to our arrival. Since you're a stranger, I'm just going to start my assessment from the top anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I had one of those key chain pocket masks for a while, but they degrade pretty quickly. I figure that if I ever have to do CPR in public it will be compressions only unless the place I'm at has a kit with a mask in it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
LEO's carry off duty (and I believe everyone should) to protect themselves. Their job is inherently dangerous as I'm sure you know, some ****** that you took to jail recognizes you on the street and gets his hood-rats to mess you up, it's a very real risk.

When you clock out at the end of your shift in EMS, you are done, the work doesn't follow you home. A cardiac patient isn't going to see you on the street and go "Hey, I know that guy! He's an EMT/Medic that took me to the hospital! I'll go have an MI in front of him, that'll teach him!".

I don't advocate being the ricky rescue type. (read whacker)

But I would like to point out I have been stalked by former patients and know a handful people personally who had relatives/friends of patients show up at their house to make known that they didn't think EMS did enough. One was even attacked as he was getting into his car.

Most ED staff in places I have been will cover their last names on the name badges because disgruntled patients have been known to open up the white pages from time to time.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Most ED staff in places I have been will cover their last names on the name badges because disgruntled patients have been known to open up the white pages from time to time.

That is why one pays the telephone company to have their telephone number unpublished or silent.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Differences between a firearm and an AED.

I can break down and clean my firearm. I can't open up the casing on an AED and not void the warranty.

Unlike AED pads, my firearm and the accompanying ammunition does not expire.

I can trouble shoot my firearm if it stops working. Short of replacing batteries, the only thing I can do with an AED is contact the company to find someone authorized to maintain it.

You can pickup a decent firearm for a few hundred dollars. The cheapest AED is over a thousand.

I have never needed an AED. I shoot 2 rounds of trap with my shotgun weekly.

Neither an AED nor a firearm does any good sitting in your closet (with the firearm unloaded and locked of course. Safety first) while you're out and about.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
This is my AED, there are many others like it, but this one is mine.

...srry couldn't resist.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That is why one pays the telephone company to have their telephone number unpublished or silent.

yea but it doesn't stop the fine, upstanding, contributors to society (sarcasm) from following you home because they have nothing else to do.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is my AED, there are many others like it, but this one is mine.

...srry couldn't resist.

You can pull my AED from my cold dead hands? [Yes... say it like a question. It's more fun that way...]

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
yea but it doesn't stop the fine, upstanding, contributors to society (sarcasm) from following you home because they have nothing else to do.

Also, think about all the new technologies that make the world smaller. Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace are a stalker's wet dream. Not to mention services like intelius.us that do a pretty good job at tracking an individual based on utility bills for a nominal fee. Moreover, if you are a resident of the United States, chances are your state has a license lookup page that shows your first and last name and the town you live in which is just enough data to do an intelius search.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
So I just did an Intelius free search and it's funny because I have 4 different entries, 2 of which have the wrong age and none of them actually linking together the fact that I'm the same person. Ironically enought, it has one of the two addresses from when I lived in Massachuetts for 2 years, but not the one where I was the name on the utility bills.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
So I just did an Intelius free search and it's funny because I have 4 different entries, 2 of which have the wrong age and none of them actually linking together the fact that I'm the same person. Ironically enought, it has one of the two addresses from when I lived in Massachuetts for 2 years, but not the one where I was the name on the utility bills.

Purchase one.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...and give them more information as well as money? Hell no.

I also enjoy how it includes both my first name and my middle name when declaring me a relative to my parents.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
...and give them more information as well as money? Hell no.

I also enjoy how it includes both my first name and my middle name when declaring me a relative to my parents.

Fine then, give me your money and I'll tell you who you are.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know exactly who I am, thank you very much.