The whole acting off duty topic.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Celtic cross spread, 12 lead... MI can be diagnosed many ways.

I see several people standing over you in blue gowns. You will get a very expensive bracelet. Remember....open you heart!

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I see several people standing over you in blue gowns. You will get a very expensive bracelet. Remember....open you heart!

I just literally lol'd... Open your heart, ha ha!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
yet another reason I don't go to church :)

... if I go to church it makes it too easy for God to find me and strike me down for sinning.

Not that I sin very often but still man you know it'd be like smoking in the Principals office :D

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
You can certainly do compressions only CPR. Who on earth is going to know the difference? If any one asks you just explain that without your EMT equipment that is how you are supposed to do CPR. Which is true, since that is how they are teaching lay person CPR, and at that point in time you are a lay person.

Have you looked at most face masks? I wouldn't trust those things for one second to protect me if the pt truly vomits.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I would hesitate to put my mouth on say, my parents, sister, girlfriends father, pretty much any male, and many females.

If you're seeing doing mouth to mouth to be more icky on a male then it is on a female, you are viewing it in an immature and sexual manner and are not prepared to be an EMT.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Oooh so many topics on this thread.

My name tag is flipped over, so my name, picture, and crew number are hidden. I decorated the back with pretty, seasonally appropriate stickers (I'm going to be scraping off the butterflies and putting pumpkins on soon.) I don't like people knowing who I am, it's much easier when you run into the "I don't like you! I'm going to call and complain, what's your name!?!" "Susan... my name is Susan.." but also because I don't want said po'd patient to be able to go look up my name in the phone book and show up on my door step.

As for mouth to mouth vs pocket mask, guidelines are moving towards compression only CPR, which negates the need for a pocket mask, so really, you're not burdened with anything.

Personally, I would only do mouth to mouth on my fiance, and my little nephew. Not any other baby, either. Babies can have ickies too.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're seeing doing mouth to mouth to be more icky on a male then it is on a female, you are viewing it in an immature and sexual manner and are not prepared to be an EMT.

He probably just doesn't realise how different that situation is to just putting your mouth on someone who's sleeping.

emt, compressions only CPR is the answer mate. Besides, something like 76% of arrests occur in the home, minus the benefit of a keen young EMT walking past. Odds are it'll never happen. If it does, compressions only is probably more likely to bring about a good outcome.

Any situation in which you'd NEED vents only seems even more rare. If you wanna carry your pocket mask that's your thing, but mate, I guarantee you, in the unlikely event you ever need it, it'll be in your back pack 600 metres down the beach, or in your car, out in the lot.

Key chain masks if anything. I got mine free, and when it wears out and falls off, I'm not replacing it. Compressions only all the way. B)

firetender

All this talk of what would you do if and what could you use when and actually anticipating an event that would prompt you to act and being oh so clear about when you wouldn't is fun, but limited.

Because who would really know for sure what they would do until they are actually in the situation where the choice must be made? Maybe more to the point; is there anyone here who would be casual about making a choice based on the specific situation and person/people involved?

If the situation is anything near the line of life and death, at the very least, we have the obligation and responsibility to seriously weigh the gravity of not taking action against the potential consequences of intervening. But I think it must be at the time of the situation at hand.

The one thing that we cannot escape is that we have been trained to ACT. No matter what we do -- and that includes NOT taking action! -- it is a conscious choice being made by a professional trained to intervene in times of emergency.

In the end, it boils down to being able to live with the choice you make.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
since this had morphed into a stalking thread....

Oooh so many topics on this thread.

My name tag is flipped over, so my name, picture, and crew number are hidden. I decorated the back with pretty, seasonally appropriate stickers (I'm going to be scraping off the butterflies and putting pumpkins on soon.) I don't like people knowing who I am, it's much easier when you run into the "I don't like you! I'm going to call and complain, what's your name!?!" "Susan... my name is Susan.." but also because I don't want said po'd patient to be able to go look up my name in the phone book and show up on my door step.

Has anyone ever actually showed up at your doorstep ?

You could be a real estate agent, a hair dresser, etc, and someone could do that.

A determined person could find your name and you. It does happen, however, most agencies are not going to allow you to hide your name. Particularly if a lawsuit is involved. It will come out.

That is a risk we all take by stepping out the door.

EMS personnel also face a more likely risk of injury or death in a vehicle crash, yet, we cant refuse to ride in the ambulance....

Aidey

A determined person could find your name and you. It does happen, however, most agencies are not going to allow you to hide your name. Particularly if a lawsuit is involved. It will come out.

That is a risk we all take by stepping out the door.

EMS personnel also face a more likely risk of injury or death in a vehicle crash, yet, we cant refuse to ride in the ambulance....

And there are ways to minimize the risk, Like not having your last name on display. Did you miss my post where I said that our management assists in altering our name tags? A lot of people that I see with name tags on at nursing homes, doctor's offices/clinics etc have tags with their first name only, or first name and last initial.

There is a big difference between being sued for something and having some tweaker track you down because they are pissed you wouldn't give them drugs.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
And there are ways to minimize the risk, Like not having your last name on display. Did you miss my post where I said that our management assists in altering our name tags? A lot of people that I see with name tags on at nursing homes, doctor's offices/clinics etc have tags with their first name only, or first name and last initial.

There is a big difference between being sued for something and having some tweaker track you down because they are pissed you wouldn't give them drugs.

I suppose you should go with whatever your employer does.

I have seen places with last name only. And those people refuse to give out their first names.

My first and last name are common.

My first position out of college was doing insurance claims, next was an LEO, I got more threats from the first one.

I phased out my middle initial. I have been getting my mail at a private mail box. I am not on any social newtworking website. My longtime friends and family, they have my email and contact me throught that.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

And I dont think most 'tweakers' would have the ability to track someone down, or the consistint mood to want to do it.

The scenario I could imagine was a family memeber stewing over the death of a loved one, and zeroing in on the ambulance crew.

A quick search of google, > emt stalked < comes back sad to say with emts stalking other people, in one case a medic....

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-16...uY29tL25ld3MvMjAwOC8xMTA3L25ld3MvMDI1Lmh0bWw=

Not to say we should not take precautions, however, as I said, we are at a more greater risk of injury or death from a vehicle crash, many preventable had the ems driver followed EVOC driving standards.....(second hi-jack for this thread)

I really wish nobody in EMS would ever be confronted by a patient or family ever.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
You can certainly do compressions only CPR. Who on earth is going to know the difference? If any one asks you just explain that without your EMT equipment that is how you are supposed to do CPR. Which is true, since that is how they are teaching lay person CPR, and at that point in time you are a lay person.

Have you looked at most face masks? I wouldn't trust those things for one second to protect me if the pt truly vomits.

The one that came with my class is substantial.

Again, my personal policy: carry my mask when I step out of my apartment, always call 911 first, if I am with a group of people I know, whip out mask and rescue breathe.

If I am just passing by, and it is all strangers, I will make a case by case decesion based on multiple factors as to if I will perform CPR and the type of CPR I will do.

Everyone else on the planet is entitled to his or her own policy.

I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts.

Sasha

Forum Chief
however, most agencies are not going to allow you to hide your name.

And you speak from all your on the job experience, right? My supervisor complimented me on how I wear my name tag, and my partners started to do it, too.

I've never been stalked, I did have a psych patient who wanted to have sex with me, asked for my phone number, gave me his, wanted to have babies with me. Begged and cried. That's not someone who I'd want to have my full name for when he got off his 72 hour hold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Again, my personal policy: carry my mask when I step out of my apartment, always call 911 first, if I am with a group of people I know, whip out mask and rescue breathe.

Compression only CPR is being shown to be more effective, don't you want the very best for someone you know?

Aidey

Sasha

Forum Chief
Aidey,

There has to be Field experience to learn this.

Don't you know, they teach you everything you need to know in EMT school, the learning stops there.

Aidey

Compression only CPR is being shown to be more effective, don't you want the very best for someone you know?

The AHA is already discussing going to 50:2. In fact, when I interned a few years ago the agency I was interning with was running a trial of 50:2 for them. There was another agency doing a 100:2 trial (I can't remember where though).