The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

srcoen

Forum Crew Member
Hey, all —

I’m Steven... a newly recertified EMT-B out of Oklahoma. I volunteer for a combination service in Guymon, mainly doing interfacility transfers from our hospital in Guymon to others. Medic school is in my long-range plans... maybe further.

beto5163

Forum Ride Along
Hello everybody,

Rather not say my name, but Beto is a nickname that has stuck since I was little. If I can be honest, I've been lurking here for years (2012 to be exact). In a way I felt like I've been an unofficial member but never thought I had much to contribute to the discussions.

I am another So Cal EMT currently going to paramedic school (a couple more weeks left of didactic then we start clinicals and field internship). Like I said before, I've been lurking for years and have yet to see anyone from my area on here. I come from that stretch of desert between San Diego and Yuma, AZ. The lovely Imperial County. Although it might not be the greatest place in So Cal, it is my home and can't imagine ever moving or leaving (wouldn't mind a commute to San Diego and Riverside counties if the pay is worth it). We have 2 level IV hospitals and 1 private ambulance company who has been in a grandfathered contract with the county since the 70's for transport (yes the same company that was on strike for the longest a few years ago). We have literally a hand full of city fire departments with 2 being ALS and 1 limited ALS (AEMT). We also have many unincorporated towns that the county fire takes care of (mixture of ALS and BLS). Transport is handled by 1 private company throughout the whole county with the exception of Calexico Fire Department who have their own ambulance for the City of Calexico. However due to being so close to the border, the call volume is insane and usually need back up from the private ambulance stationed in the city. Other than that its safe to say we are NOTHING like LA County EMS. Fire runs the calls until transport medic arrives. Even if Fire has medics on scene, once the transport medic arrives they are the highest primary pre-hospital provider. It works out great too, theres never really any ego trip from the fire medics or transport medics. I really don't mean to ramble, I'm just trying to give you SoCal guys an idea of how my area is.

As far as experience I have been fortunate enough to dip my feet everywhere. Since 2011 I was a FF/EMT for the county fire, ER Technician at one of the hospitals, EMT/"ambulance driver" for private ambulance company, and ICU Telemetry Tech at the other hospital. At the moment I'm not working in EMS due to going to medic school and being a single father to 4 kids. I look forward to finally being an "official" member and hope to contribute whatever I can. If anybody has any questions or needs any info on applying near me (highly doubt it) feel free to hit me up. I appreciate all you vets for the information and resources I've attained through this forum.

Kais

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I am visiting this forum on a regular basis for a couple of years now. I'm interested in all kind of ems related topics, especially in the opinions of fellow health care providers from other countries. Since there are a lot of stereotypes towards foreign ems-systems in my own country, I decided to do a little research on my own and found this forum. I was amazed about how much we actually have in common. Today I finally registered to this forum, hoping to exchange with people outside my own barriers.

About me: I am 28 yo, ems health care provider from germany. A lot of things have changed and are changing here in germany regarding ems. Exciting times.
I have achieved the highest non-physician (a term often used in germany) level of training here in germany. I am currently employed with a "county based ems provider". I dont know if that is the correct term to use. We are not a private/for profit organisation nor are we FD based, but a branch of the same county department (public safety) as the FD. It's pretty uncommon here in germany. Especially in my state. The county itself is more 'rural' than urban. This makes a lot of things more challenging than working in an urban environment. But it's fun.

Looking forward to be an active part in this forum now.

Djackson

Forum Ride Along
Whats up
Ive been lurking awhile and I just passed my NREMT last week.... thank god
This is my dream job. I didnt want to start posting until I was legit..... Now I AM POSTING LOL
I am a father of 4 kids with an amazing wife out of Clovis California.
I plan on being quite active here.

Paul Olivares

Forum Ride Along
Hello guys, I'm Paul Olivares. I graduated from the EMT basic program and Los Angeles County Scope of Practice. Currently I'm studying for my Nremt basic. It's been challenging but I'm going to continue to work towards my goal of being an m.d. some day.

Anyways I'm focusing on ems because I want to give back to our community in a rewarding manner.
I know first hand how it feels to be a a patient.
And I'd like to be able to make a difference in our community even on a small scale.

Hello guys, I'm Paul Olivares. I graduated from the EMT basic program and Los Angeles County Scope of Practice. Currently I'm studying for my Nremt basic. It's been challenging but I'm going to continue to work towards my goal of being an m.d. some day.

Anyways I'm focusing on ems because I want to give back to our community in a rewarding manner.
I know first hand how it feels to be a a patient.
And I'd like to be able to make a difference in our community even on a small scale.

Welcome to EMTLife. Here’s a tip, look outside of LA County if you want to get some meaningful EMT experience prior to medical school.

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

I'm Lucy, and live in Manhattan NYC. I was an EMT from 2010-2013, and am now returning to EMS because it's a calling to do so, and I'm finally 100% available to do it. I'm in an EMT course now, with my state test coming up in September 2018. Upon completion, I will work out of the local hospital, and also volly at special events throughout the state. I'm happy to be here, and part of the EMS Family and Community again!

Hendrik

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone. My name is Hendrik. I'm a flight paramedic working in the western US. I've been lurking on here for a while and decided it's time to make the relationship official. I've been working in EMS since 2000 (yes, I'm old) and originally from South Africa. In the US now for 14 years and still loving every day at work.

crackerman

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I go by Larry here.

I just passed my testing and got my NREMT back after 15 years as of last week. I originally got my NREMT-B back in 2003 in SoCal. I am affiliated already with the 3rd service volunteer ambulance squad here in town. We cover our own town and are transport for the next town over. I am glad to be back in the game and giving back to my town.

I am amazed at the difference in scope of practice and things we can do nowadays compared to 15 years ago.

LadyMilitaryMedic

Forum Probie
Howdy!! Nice to meet ya'll!!!

I am a happily married mother of two beautiful daughters.

I have been in the Air Force and a NREMT-B since 2014. Earned my Associates in EMS (Paramedic)/Healthcare Management through Gordon Cooper Tech and Oklahoma Panhandle State U. 1.5 years of full time civilian EMS work. Hoping to add some part time experience if active duty approves it. Active Duty has me in the ER as a tech. Not happy about it. Working on Bachelors in Emergency Responder Administration at Oklahoma State U-OKC.

Future goals: As many medic certs as I can (PHTLS, critical, flight, tactical, etc.). Associates in Fire. Bachelors in Law. Masters in which ever I feel will help me get a commissioned officer slot as a first responder. I do not want to be a military nurse like I had dreamed of.

For fun, I enjoy reading, working out, crafts (everything from cross stitch to leather working), traveling with the family!!!

CGMedic16

Forum Probie
Howdy!! Nice to meet ya'll!!!

I am a happily married mother of two beautiful daughters.

I have been in the Air Force and a NREMT-B since 2014. Earned my Associates in EMS (Paramedic)/Healthcare Management through Gordon Cooper Tech and Oklahoma Panhandle State U. 1.5 years of full time civilian EMS work. Hoping to add some part time experience if active duty approves it. Active Duty has me in the ER as a tech. Not happy about it. Working on Bachelors in Emergency Responder Administration at Oklahoma State U-OKC.

Future goals: As many medic certs as I can (PHTLS, critical, flight, tactical, etc.). Associates in Fire. Bachelors in Law. Masters in which ever I feel will help me get a commissioned officer slot as a first responder. I do not want to be a military nurse like I had dreamed of.

For fun, I enjoy reading, working out, crafts (everything from cross stitch to leather working), traveling with the family!!!

Hi there! and welcome - I am active duty and my command approved me to work part time. It is pretty tricky sometimes I have to swap duty days around when shifts get assigned. As its easier to manage my duty schedule rather than call and try to re-bid on a shift for that month. But totally doable - anyways its cool to see another active duty person on here. Agencies like AMR have a 36 hour per month requirement - so you just put your availability in - then the shifts get granted on seniority. If you do not get enough shifts - then you just pick them up as they are paged out - its not hard to pick them up at all. Luckily where I work - we are the sole 911 provider in the county. But I know not all AMR is like that in all parts of the country but I am sure there is a similar system in the agencies near you if it is not AMR. Again good luck and welcome!

Tampasteve

Forum Ride Along
Coming back to the forum after leaving my training back in 2014. In 2014 I had to complete a couple pre-requisites (anatomy and medical terminology) even though I have a 4 year degree, before training at the local state college, which they no longer require. I completed those but then had to stop my training for personal reasons. Now a few years later I am starting again and should be in the next class in January at the same school (PHSC in Florida). Back in 2014 I thought I would head into fire after getting my EMT-B, but now I am looking at staying in EMS and going for paramedic at some point in the not distant future.

LongTranspot

Forum Ride Along
I’m LongTransport. I just passed the EMT-B. I’ve been a driver with the County EMS for 3 months while taking EMT classes and I’m the Comms Officer for the local volly Fire dept.

Tommerag

What day is it?
So just wanted to say hey I'm Tommerag, again. I'm sure I have a post somewhere in this thread that has my very first one. Apparently my last log in prior to tonight was like June of 2013. I'm still living in good 'ole South Dakota in a very rural area. ll the way! Hospital based EMS system. FTO and do the EMS QA/QI for the hospital. Nightshift all the way!

Edit: Forgot to add a few things

Holy crap has this place changed as far as looks and everything, definitely not how I remembered it. Also wonder if anyone I used to talk to all the time on here are still around.

Calling Higher

Forum Ride Along
Greetings from California. I'm a small business owner looking to become a volunteer EMT. I appreciate all the resources on this board and plan to support. Highest regards to fellow members.