The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

wian102

Forum Ride Along
Hi all I'm Willem 21years old.
I'm a Bls medic for 1 year now and starting with my next course in January 2017.

Working in sunny south africa☀️

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Hi all I'm Willem 21years old.
I'm a Bls medic for 1 year now and starting with my next course in January 2017.

Working in sunny south africa☀️

Welcome!

I use to spend my childhood Between the US and South Africa in the late 80s early 90s. I've heard it's changed big time but crime is out of control.

DrWorm

Forum Ride Along
Hi all!
I'm Isaiah, a soon to be AEMT student in Colorado (class starts in January). I've been lurking here for quite a while now and have really loved following along and reading about others' experiences. I completed half of a degree in molecular biology at CU, but ran out of money. I plan on finishing my degree, but am focused on the prehospital environment right now, planning to go to paramedic school if everything works out. Since I was young I wanted to be an MD, but we'll see how that goes. Right now I want to focus on the patients and doing what I can to help those in need! Excited to finally join!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hi all!
I'm Isaiah, a soon to be AEMT student in Colorado (class starts in January). I've been lurking here for quite a while now and have really loved following along and reading about others' experiences. I completed half of a degree in molecular biology at CU, but ran out of money. I plan on finishing my degree, but am focused on the prehospital environment right now, planning to go to paramedic school if everything works out. Since I was young I wanted to be an MD, but we'll see how that goes. Right now I want to focus on the patients and doing what I can to help those in need! Excited to finally join!
Welcome, Isaiah:). Ahhh, to be 21 all over again...

I would suggest finishing your degree. Do the AEMT thing (good luck BTW), but by all means use this field to fulfill your end goal as a physician.

Whether you go through paramedic school, or remain an AEMT should have little to no bearing on your patient care as a physician.

There are posters on here in your shoes, and threads to match, just try not to get too caught up in the addiction that is prehospital care.

This is just my $0.02. Again, best of luck.

wian102

Forum Ride Along
Welcome!

I use to spend my childhood Between the US and South Africa in the late 80s early 90s. I've heard it's changed big time but crime is out of control.
Yes things have changed, but not all is bad, the crime is high but you learn to live with it, what's that old saying "adapt or Die"

Gary Dhundal

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys!

I work full time as a dispatcher and just finished my EMT/PCP course in Alberta. I am writing my registration exams in February and hope to be on car soon enough! I don't have a whole lot of experience other than the 200ish hours of practicum experience I had. My calls weren't anything exciting but I did get good practice with assessing patients and IV starts. Probably did about 80ish calls and got one truly sick stroke patient, the rest were all anxiety attacks, fevers, colds, the man-flu and etc. Do you guys have any suggestions for students/newbies? I feel like I am book smart but when it comes to actually recognizing things in real life I miss things or don't really know exactly what I'm looking for. I am super green and I haven't seen anything outside of practicum. For example,when I auscultated on practicum and listened to different lung sounds I wasn't 100% sure about what was clear and what was diminished. I guess what I'm looking for is help establishing a baseline for what's considered "normal" and what a truly "sick" patient is.

Thanks in advance for your guys help!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hey Guys!

I work full time as a dispatcher and just finished my EMT/PCP course in Alberta. I am writing my registration exams in February and hope to be on car soon enough! I don't have a whole lot of experience other than the 200ish hours of practicum experience I had. My calls weren't anything exciting but I did get good practice with assessing patients and IV starts. Probably did about 80ish calls and got one truly sick stroke patient, the rest were all anxiety attacks, fevers, colds, the man-flu and etc. Do you guys have any suggestions for students/newbies? I feel like I am book smart but when it comes to actually recognizing things in real life I miss things or don't really know exactly what I'm looking for. I am super green and I haven't seen anything outside of practicum. For example,when I auscultated on practicum and listened to different lung sounds I wasn't 100% sure about what was clear and what was diminished. I guess what I'm looking for is help establishing a baseline for what's considered "normal" and what a truly "sick" patient is.

Thanks in advance for your guys help!
Howdy, welcome to the forum. There are quite a few folks on here from The Great White North. Advice? Practice makes perfect, seriously.

Also, I chuckled that the"man cold" knows no borders:).

Jeff2mars

Forum Probie
Hi
I'm a French guy living in Marseille, France.
I was an EMT/Firefighter 8 years ago and have also been a volunteer EMT for 12 years now.
Hope we can share some experiences in the future!

Eden

Forum Crew Member
Hey there guys

I'm Eden, 20YO, paramedic student from Israel soon finishing school . Been lurking on this site for a lil while, came here out of interset in different ems systems.
It is really interesting to see the different approaches to ems and the sometimes different treatement.
Learned alot already, now i hope i can also contribute my point of view and take part in the discussions.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Hey there guys

I'm Eden, 20YO, paramedic student from Israel soon finishing school . Been lurking on this site for a lil while, came here out of interset in different ems systems.
It is really interesting to see the different approaches to ems and the sometimes different treatement.
Learned alot already, now i hope i can also contribute my point of view and take part in the discussions.
Shabbat Shalom! You will find that the Israeli method of EMS is quite different than most of the world. There are similarities but, they are different. Happy to have you here. And maybe next time I am in Israel I will have to find you.

Eden

Forum Crew Member
Shabbat Shalom! You will find that the Israeli method of EMS is quite different than most of the world. There are similarities but, they are different. Happy to have you here. And maybe next time I am in Israel I will have to find you.
Yep I noticed already. And if you happen to be around tel aviv then pm me, though i will probably be in the army.

Radnoq

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,

Just finished EMT-B in California last month. I took and passed NREMT this past Tuesday. Now just working on getting my county license and ambulance drivers license. I'm getting really close to getting out there. I'm so excited! Hope to meet some of you some day.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hello everyone,

Just finished EMT-B in California last month. I took and passed NREMT this past Tuesday. Now just working on getting my county license and ambulance drivers license. I'm getting really close to getting out there. I'm so excited! Hope to meet some of you some day.
Welcome, there are plenty of other Californians on here as well. What part of the state are you in? What are you end goals?

Good luck, peruse as you so choose.

Radnoq

Forum Probie
Welcome, there are plenty of other Californians on here as well. What part of the state are you in? What are you end goals?

Good luck, peruse as you so choose.
Hey thanks!
I'm in San Bernardino County. Fontana is my home city. I'm looking to be a medic someday. Keeping my options open to other avenues that may present themselves along my career.

Lana

Forum Probie
hi everyone, i am a volunteer, behind the scenes. have done a variety of things (mapping - just once so far, development, a/r accounts receivables :) ) would like to become a volunteer photographer. (i think that i might not be enough of a high-caliber athlete to be doing field work and i am limited in time right now anyhow. :) so anyone who could do that must be pretty strong and brave :) thanks, guys and gals. :)

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
Well only have been on here a week but have gone to this site plenty of times throughout my emt course. I now currently hold my state license and am in the process of applying/interviewing for my first EMT job.

Anyways

My name is Michael (mostly go by MJ), I am 20 years old. I am born, raised, and currently reside to Orange County, CA. My end career goal is to end up in public service as a FF or Police Officer. Love this site!!!

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello,

Indiana Medic here, approaching 3 years and 7 years in EMS. I work for a hospital/county service on 24's. On my off days I am a volunteer firefighter, husband, dad, and amateur body man/mechanic as I restore and old GMC square body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

perrypapabear

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,
My name is Perry, Im currently an EMT-B in CA starting medic school nxt month working on getting hired as a Fire Fighter for the future! I took a break from EMS for couple years but Im back and bursting onto the medic scene!

Fido198674

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

Guess I shoulda posted here first. I'm 30 y/o in Maricopa County AZ, Surprise to be more exact. Earned my EMTB in August last year. Family problems sprung up and delayed my plans but now I'm apparently on a waiting list for AMR and applied to ABC today. I been vouleentering as a BHT with Crisis Response in Phoenix Fire for about two years now and used to work supply chain in a hospital here before I jumped to a career I actually wanted. (The downsizing of auxiliary staff at that hospital motivated that.) Also a Navy vet... And yeah... I look forward to actually contributing here instead of lurking around all the time :) not all my posts will be a text wall either....