The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

res1551cue

Forum Crew Member
Where to start. My name is Dustin and I live in Illinois. My primary job is Active Duty Air Force where I work in Emergency Management. I have been working in the public safety field since 2003 and that is where I got my love for working in the medical field but I have not been able to work on obtaining my EMT until just recently due to work schedules. I am hoping that once I complete the course that I can work with the local contract ambulance service part time to gain experience while I finish my career in the military.

In my spare time I instruct AHA BLS CPR/AED classes as well as ARC classes. I love to shoot guns but due to lack of ranges in the area I do not get to do it as often as I would like.

That One Guy

Forum Ride Along
Hey there. I've been referencing this site for a while now and finally decided to sign up. I am attending EMT school this fall. I currently am a desk jockey in the local hospitals emergency room. I currently deal with anything related to the electronic health records including registration, admissions, bed planning, and dabble in billing/insurance. I look forward to getting some hands on experience working with patients.

At this point in my career I make more than an EMT (sadly), so this will be more a trial to see if I enjoy this side of healthcare and if I do i plan on continuing onto paramedic school.

Nice to meet everyone!

Surf40

Forum Probie
Hey there, I'm new to the forum, have had my EMT-B for almost a year now. I live in Southern California but am seriously considering a move to the Phoenix area. I'm an Army Veteran and entered law enforcement afterwards as a police officer. I worked in law enforcement for about six years before stepping down to part time officer to pursue a career change. I'm currently in the process of being hired as an EMT on an ambulance so I can gain the experience required for paramedic school. I'm hoping to start paramedic school sometime early next year. My ultimate goal is to become a firefighter paramedic.

Exam Vs Bad Touch

Forum Probie
Greetings brethren,
I'm Exam Vs Bad Touch. I choose that name because it's something my old platoon sergeant used to say, and it stuck with me.
Combat Medic: 10 years
Civilian EMT-B: 6 months
Recently accepted into Sacramento State Paramedic Program
Goals: Get on a big city FD as a FFmedic within 3 years of getting EMTP, and maybe going back to Afghanistan for some contracting before then. Nice to meet everyone.

iLikeTurtles

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, just wanted to sign up and introduce myself since communities usually help me stay engaged in my work.

I'm a 20 yr old in the San Francisco Bay Area just finishing up my EMT certification. End goal is to get into PA school for surgery/neurology, but have enjoyed the education and experience in class/ride-alongs so far. I'll be graduating with my B.S. degree soon, so I'm looking forward to working as an EMT when the time comes!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hello all, long time lurker, new poster, so a brief introduction.

I've been involved with EMS for roughly 15 years, 5 as a basic, and the remainder as a paramedic. I am originally from Southern California, but have been a paramedic in the county just to the north that many on this forum view as a better alternative (can't dispute that truth much). I am a fairly new CCP, and currently possess my FP-C, which I am finally getting to utilize with the HEMS sector of our division.

A brief background on the name I chose: since I have been part of our the CCT division I have become fascinated with the ventilator, and vent management in general and personally feel that it is every part as integral to prehospital airway management as everything else we have been taught. I am still fairly new to it, and critical care medicine as a whole, but look forward to many conversations from others on this forum. Please bear with me as I am fairly new to online discussion boards, and blogs, and again great to meet everyone.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hello all, long time lurker, new poster, so a brief introduction.

I've been involved with EMS for roughly 15 years, 5 as a basic, and the remainder as a paramedic. I am originally from Southern California, but have been a paramedic in the county just to the north that many on this forum view as a better alternative (can't dispute that truth much). I am a fairly new CCP, and currently possess my FP-C, which I am finally getting to utilize with the HEMS sector of our division.

A brief background on the name I chose: since I have been part of our the CCT division I have become fascinated with the ventilator, and vent management in general and personally feel that it is every part as integral to prehospital airway management as everything else we have been taught. I am still fairly new to it, and critical care medicine as a whole, but look forward to many conversations from others on this forum. Please bear with me as I am fairly new to online discussion boards, and blogs, and again great to meet everyone.

Welcome. Great first couple of posts.

Specialized

Forum Crew Member
Glad I found this thread.

Hello everyone. Greetings from the Golden State. I'm probably one of the younger ones here(21) but I've found that coming here is quite fun and actually educational. Imagine that huh? I'm new to ems, graduated EMTb back in May, passed NREMT in early June. Applied to a few local ambulances companies and got hired by AMR in mid July. Fast forward through orientation and evoc and here we are. I currently work in the new Sutter Division, primarily in Sonoma County. We provide ground level BLS, CCT, NICU, PICU as well as fixed wing transportation.

Currently finishing off this semester at the local Junior college before transferring to SSU in the spring. Spent an extra year at the jc to get my AS in Fire Tech but I think EMS is my calling.

Thanks to whoever created such a wonderful thread. I hope to chat with a lot of you and learn from the best ;)

NormWhitehurst

Forum Ride Along
Hello all. What a great site! As this is an intro thread, let me intro. My first pet was a T-Rex so there is my age. Years ago I served a decade in the Coast Guard doing search and rescue/law enforcement. I lucked on an opportunity to transition over to a better paying job in television and have been doing that for more than 20 years. Hit me up if you want an ESPN tour . But I always regretted not staying in a profession that really makes a difference. In May, I enrolled in an EMT course and surprised myself on not only passing but missing out on the #1 spot by a tenth of a point. But you know, classes and tests are great, but essentially meaningless in the real world. It's what you do and how you do for people not made of rubber and bolts that count. My goal is to volunteer with a local EMS service. Not for any altruistic reasons. It's because EMS is not paid in a way you can live. And that's unfortunate. I'll keep the so-called day job and do what I can because it matters. I took classes with people much younger than me. Ok. They were all much younger than me. It was the best experience I've had in a long time. Just being with people who wanted to be firefighters, cops, nurses, doctors...people who wanted to help. I've mad respect for all of you here. I look forward to hearing your stories. My NREMT tests (written Tuesfay, practical Saturday) are coming up and I hope that come the following week, I can call myself one of you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hello all. What a great site! As this is an intro thread, let me intro. My first pet was a T-Rex so there is my age. Years ago I served a decade in the Coast Guard doing search and rescue/law enforcement. I lucked on an opportunity to transition over to a better paying job in television and have been doing that for more than 20 years. Hit me up if you want an ESPN tour . But I always regretted not staying in a profession that really makes a difference. In May, I enrolled in an EMT course and surprised myself on not only passing but missing out on the #1 spot by a tenth of a point. But you know, classes and tests are great, but essentially meaningless in the real world. It's what you do and how you do for people not made of rubber and bolts that count. My goal is to volunteer with a local EMS service. Not for any altruistic reasons. It's because EMS is not paid in a way you can live. And that's unfortunate. I'll keep the so-called day job and do what I can because it matters. I took classes with people much younger than me. Ok. They were all much younger than me. It was the best experience I've had in a long time. Just being with people who wanted to be firefighters, cops, nurses, doctors...people who wanted to help. I've mad respect for all of you here. I look forward to hearing your stories. My NREMT tests (written Tuesfay, practical Saturday) are coming up and I hope that come the following week, I can call myself one of you.

Welcome. I'm a CT native too. I got my CT EMT at the South Coventry fire house in 1988 but spent most of the several decades in broadcast management. EMS is like a virus that lays dormant for a while but always comes back.

catherder

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

I'm an oldster at 56 in a well known BLS program in Virginia. I will be a volunteer if/when graduated and successfully tested. So far really enjoying the experience, but also feeling like a fish out of water- the tools of my trade are normally wrenches and screwdrivers, not stethoscopes. Looking forward to talking with you and picking your brains. In case you are wondering, age is the least of my worries. I am a pretty healthy and robust person for my age!

Michael Reuriks

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

My name is Michael and I'm fron Germany. My education is kinda like an emt-b(Rettungssanitäter in Germany) and I'm going to become a Rettungsassistent (kinda like a paramedic).
I live in Germany with my wife and work for G.A.R.D. Hamburg as part of Falck Germany

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hi!

My name is Michael and I'm fron Germany. My education is kinda like an emt-b(Rettungssanitäter in Germany) and I'm going to become a Rettungsassistent (kinda like a paramedic).
I live in Germany with my wife and work for G.A.R.D. Hamburg as part of Falck Germany
Hi, Michael, nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum:)

Loshi

Forum Probie
Hey everyone my names Loshi, and I am a freshie EMT!

I'm a 22 yr old in the Sierra-Sacramento Area I just finished all the requirements to be an EMT and boy was that tedious. Staying in the DMV for 3 hours to get my ambulance license was BRUTAL lol. My end goal is to get into Medical school and continue to the EMS pursuit to be a ER Physican. I'm looking forward to working as an EMT when the time comes, so far I've applied with Norcal and ProTransport. I hope to learn from you all, and maybe see you at work :D

Chef

Forum Crew Member
Mornin everyone. I have recently made a drastic career change into EMS after being a professional Chef since 2000. The culinary leadership aspect of kitchen life is very rewarding but also very stressful. I was the definition of a burn out!!! So.... I packed up the suit and tie, knife bag and apron and walked out of the kitchen.

I have been a first responder for 15+ years and a basic for just over two years. I converted to full time in a very busy 911 system in North Texas after being part time with the same organization for just over a year.

I'm eager to learn and really enjoying my career change. The hardest part so far is the fact that I'm at least 20 years older than the majority of the existing staff. It's great getting old.

Chef

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Mornin everyone. I have recently made a drastic career change into EMS after being a professional Chef since 2000. The culinary leadership aspect of kitchen life is very rewarding but also very stressful. I was the definition of a burn out!!! So.... I packed up the suit and tie, knife bag and apron and walked out of the kitchen.

I have been a first responder for 15+ years and a basic for just over two years. I converted to full time in a very busy 911 system in North Texas after being part time with the same organization for just over a year.

I'm eager to learn and really enjoying my career change. The hardest part so far is the fact that I'm at least 20 years older than the majority of the existing staff. It's great getting old.

Chef
Hey there, @Chef. Welcome to the forum! Feel free to peruse the forum, and ask away:).

Interesting career change. Very cool, might I add. Out of curiosity, what kind of culinary dishes that you specialize in?

I'm @VentMonkey BTW, pleased to meet you.