The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Hello,

my name is Bernhard, I'm from Munich (Bavaria/Germany, Europe), hence the screen name. I found this site when looking for an alternative for another great US based forum, which unfortunately is experiencing an acute traffic loss. Maybe the one or another knows me from there.

I'm in EMS for over 30 years now, started young. My level is "Rettungsassistent", which is compareable to an US paramedic (see Wikipedia: "Paramedics_in_Germany"). Most time I worked volunteer/part-time, beside gaining a masters degree in computer science and engineering. After several positions in IT management and as self-employed consultant, I eventually combined my management and EMS skills. Now I'm full time in EMS management, responsible for regional Red Cross, which is the main EMS provider over here (80% market share).

I still do shifts on the ambulance, with our local volunteer (non-transport) first responder team, as incident commander, covering events and in disaster response. Beside that I have a family (wife, kid, dog, hamster), several other hobbies and an awful time management. :)

From this forum I expect to get interesting discussions and a view "over the pond". My contribution may be insights from German EMS, my experience in EMS organization, patient care and incident command over here. Plus some faulty english.

My plan in EMS is to get the new education level of "Notfallsanitäter", a recently introduced (effective January 2015) three year education, replacing the "Rettungsassistent" level. For this I have to take a state exam and learn a lot of things I already forgot. I hope, EMTlife can help me a bit here...

My dream in EMS is to visit some EMS places around the world, so maybe we'll meet in person some day. If you're happen to travel to southern Bavaria, just drop me a note and I'd look forward to arrange something.

Great to be here!

Bernhard

P.S.: My avatar shows the inofficial patch for Bavarian EMS of Red Cross - it's not worn in duty, but looks cool. I have some spare ones if you're interested in a trade (EMS patches only).

Willkommen. Freut mich, Sie hier zu haben. (My German ain't the best, please excuse any mistakes haha).

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
I wanted to say thank you to those that came before me, and Welcome to those that came after.

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet so I thought I'd stop in. I'm former military, currently a civilian working as a Network Engineer. Looking for a way to give back to my community after getting back from Iraq, I joined the volunteer fire department. I've been volly fire for about 7 years, and recently decided to also join the rescue squad as an EMT. I'm currently licensed as an EMT basic in WI, and credentialed with a couple all volunteer BLS agencies in my area.

mlboncea35D

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm Maria. I'm former military, and currently considering going for my EMT-B credential. I did volunteer first aid while working on my master's in Scotland and really liked it. Also, I've been lurking here for a while. I've really learned a lot based on the posts I've been reading. Thanks!

Last edited:

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Hello there. I've been lurking here for quite a while but decided to start posting just a few days ago. Former military and a fresh EMT-B w/ one of the BLS companies in LA County.

Texasems7175

Forum Ride Along
Hi all! I'm Sierra from Texas. I'm a studying EMT B and will graduate in April. My husband is a certified firefighter and we are both volunteers. He's captain of one department and about to be captain of another one. We are 22 and live on a ranch with 4 horses, 2 mini pigs, and a chocolate lab. Plans are to become a paramedic of course and then become an air medic. I couldn't picture my life not being in EMS or fire and I hope to make wonderful friends here!

BigDon

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! I'm Don from North Carolina. I start my EMT-B course in January and I'm really looking forward to getting started. I'm an older guy at 47, hoping that won't hurt my chances of getting on somewhere. I went to school originally to be a police officer many, many moons ago. I got hurt back then and have been doing numerous odd jobs off and on since. I hope to go on and do the paramedic course God willing.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
Hello! I'm Jane, 28 years old, and currently residing in Florida. Just graduated EMT school two weeks ago and I'm impatiently awaiting for state to approve my application so I can take NREMT. Originally I started EMT school to use it as a bridge to get into nursing school. However, one ride along into the program and I was absolutely hooked, so much that I picked up almost another hundred hours in clinicals, in addition to the ones I was required to do. Nursing has been thrown out the window (until I get too old to do EMS). And I will be continuing my EMS education with Medic school in Fall 2016.

For now, I can't wait to get NREMT done and over with, to get hired onto an agency, and get back onto a truck!

RScott

Forum Probie
Hello. I'm Scott, from just North of Houston. I have a career as a patent attorney. I am considering taking an EMT-B course so that I can volunteer with my local EMS provider. I've been lurking here for a while and I appreciate all of the great information.

Traumawaffles

Forum Crew Member
Name is Eva, but I somehow gained the nickname Waffle. Hence the name. Let's see I was a Fire Explorer at the age of 16. Turned 18 and my department paid for my schooling. Also took my Willard fire course. At 19, things stalled due to a freak accident resulting in me having 3 knee surgeries. So now here I am, 25, living in Massachusetts, recently got my EMT basic and hired on by Medcare Emergency health. I'm slowly getting back on track. Oh and I lived in numerous states too.

I also prefer French toast instead of waffles.

Oxygenforeverybody

Forum Crew Member
Name is Kemmer,

Currently a student / soon to be EMT-B as I'm taking my state on the 5th of Jan and soon after my national. I served in the Navy for four years and got out. Went to school but wasn't sure what I wanted to do, Than ran into the Volunteer squad here in Virginia. Inspired me and I've always been interested in a medical field / Fire and currently looking to dive into that area (Preferably Fire as Medic when the time comes). I did a few ambulance ride alongs here and in class we did actual rides / clinicals which was all hands on and man I fell in love with the job. So Im excited to get into the field and actual learn the trade hands on.

Will be moving and working out of WA state soon so if any are from there send me a PM with some good info I could use it.

JOHN TABLANG

Forum Ride Along
Name is John. I just got my NY State EMT certificate. I was first trained in the Philippines, worked in Qatar and United Arab Emirates. Now I'm based in NY and finally finished the course last Nov. Looking forward in working with NY State EMT's. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Hello, my name is Sterling. Im 25 years old and currently live in Minnesota. I'm in a transfer program to get my Associate of Applied Science Degree in Paramedic Science. When I'm not in school or working full time I love barrel racing with my horse Vinny and reading. I love the outdoors and staying active.

Nice to meet every one!

DMaddrey19

Forum Probie
:) Hi Everyone :D ,
My name is Destiny I am 19 years old and planning on becoming a Emt-B. I love to sing and create spoken word .For training i will be going to my local fire department . I will appreciate if you all would give me pointers on this rewarding career .

Last edited:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I will appreciate if you all would give me pointers on this rewarding career .
Best thing to is take time to read through the different threads. We have over ten years worth of discussions. Lots of information has been shared over the years.

00Medic

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone. New guy here saying howdy. My name is James with a field nickname of "Buck" (long story). I've been in the feild for nearly 25 tears. 10 as a Medic the rest as an EMT. Mostly in Los Angeles area but did some years in Vegas too (another long story). Currently working for a private company in Los Angeles (PRN Ambulance) but really want to take the family and make the move to Texas. The writing is on the wall for California and we're looking to get out before I get to old.... Too late?? Whaaaa?? Haha

Looking forward to getting to know some of you here. In fact, I'm sure there are some here I already know from the field.

JustinBieberFan

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd introduce myself here. My name is Mike. I took my EMT-B training at the UCLA Center for Prehospital Care and recently passed the NREMT exam. Now I'm applying for certification here in California. I live in Rosamond, CA which is about 90 miles away from Los Angeles.

I'm a former UH-60 helo mechanic (ARNG and Army Reserve) and got to see Iraq, Kuwait, and Honduras. I miss it every day.

I plan on working as an EMT on a part-time basis. I work full-time as an engineer. I'm focusing my efforts on getting hired by an ambulance company but I'm also looking into working as an ER Tech. Any advice?

EMT533

The Rookie
Hello! I am currently in college studying Ultrasonography. l will be graduating with an associates June of 2017. I will also be starting my EMT- B in March. Sonography is fulfilling in its own way. It is not nearly enough for me. I want to be part of a team. I want to see the difference I make. In ultrasound I take the image and send it to the radiologist and never see the patient improve. I myself have no direct effect on the patient. After I complete my EMT-B I plan on continuing on to become a paramedic.