The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

can you walk

Forum Ride Along
The real question is, what isn't wrong with California?

Do some research about EMS in Cali and you will find your answer. "Mother may I?" Overpopulation of providers, shady companies, crap protocols, a different EMS oversight in every single county, you name it.

from what ive looked into so far. its seems a little fragmented with several private buses running 911 in a single city/county plus fd running ems. but i wanna continue this on a another thread. the west coast/ems seems exotic from here.

flemt92

Forum Probie
hello everyone, my name is jorge im 19 and a brand new EMT-B i just got my state and national license two days ago :), i will be working soon for miami dade ambulance. i am loving the site cant wait to get to know you guys :)

TatorTots

Forum Ride Along
noob

Hey hey. Im a newly certified emt-b with plans for being a flight nurse.. we'll see how that goes. ;) Im also a phlebotomist, and CNA. I live in california... been stalking on this site last couple days, finally decided to say hi. :p

Anjel

Forum Angel
Hey hey. Im a newly certified emt-b with plans for being a flight nurse.. we'll see how that goes. ;) Im also a phlebotomist, and CNA. I live in california... been stalking on this site last couple days, finally decided to say hi. :p

Well arent you the multi tasker.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone :) Names Brad. LONG time stalker and I finally decided to make an account. I'm an Basic out in socal and have been for about a year. I currently work with a 911 service out in OC/LA/SD *we're everywhere*. Bout' to get into medic school *crafton or mt.sac* and looking to become an RT.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Hi, I'm CritterNurse, and I'm taking my EMT-Basic course. The name is because I'm a Licensed Veterinary Technician. I've been with my local volunteer fire department for 2 years now. I'm in my 30's and keep finding myself back in school for one reason or another. So far the longest stretch I've been able to without being in school is 4 years.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
CritterNurse - That is big switch...Isnt being a vet tech really good pay?? And if I may ask where are you taking your EMT-B

I laughed about what you said about always ending up back in school - I feel the same way sometimes...lol and I am scared what will happen when I run out of my GI Bill...lol

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Well, it doesn't seem to be all that much of a switch to me. I eventually want to work in an emergency vet hospital, and I had an interview at one where I was pretty much told I didn't have enough emergency experience, and that the worst time to find out you can't hack it is in the middle of a crisis.

So I figure if I can show them I can handle emergencies on the human side, it might give me a leg up into the vet side. Besides, animals are affected by house fires too, which is why I joined my local volunteer department. I've found myself on the EMS side more than the fire side, and the department is paying for the EMT course. I'm not about to turn down free education, especially if its something I could use.

As far as pay goes, being a vet. tech in Maine doesn't pay as well as some other regions of the country, like in California.

WhatJoel

Forum Ride Along
NEW to EMS and the site

hey guys, my name is Joel. im an EMT from Queens NY. got my cert in january and just got my first EMT JOB about a month ago. i volunteer for a local agency and am hoping to begin medic school in about a year or 2 [after i get some experience as a tech]. any advice anyone has for me is greatly appreciated in advance.

para344

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

I have been an ALS Paramedic in Victoria (Oz) for over 10 years where I manage a team of 30 paramedics.

Any IPSC shooters out there?

JMagnus

Forum Ride Along
Brief intro and some questions

Hey,

Just a brief intro...I'm Joshua. 31 and from Chicago. Starting EMT-B classes in January and looking forward to getting started. I've worked in finance and real estate law. After years of realizing the 9-5 life wasn't for me I started to think about what direction to head in life. I've always thought about emt or radiology. But after experiencing a handful of situations I decided that emt is the best option for me. I'm really excited that it's finally moving forward.

Anyway...I look forward to meeting people on here and be prepared for alot of questions. I have about a hundred I'd like to ask now but I'll save all those for later.

BLS Systems Limited

Verified Vendor
Greetings all

Greetings all. I want to introduce myself as someone who has very close links (professionally and personally) to the EMS community. First and foremost, I am a Respiratory Therapist in Canada who has had the pleasure of also being a former ACP Clinical Instructor. I have also acted a hospital manager and still have my hand in as a Flight RT for a private international air ambulance service. The last few years has taken me into the private realm of sales, marketing and simulation training centre management for the allied healthcare professions.

One of my key interests is equipment innovation and how it is applied in the field. RT's and medics are close cousins as we often have to make things work with what you have. We often make our own devices, however fear of litigation has curtailed that over the years. Still the spirit is there. Today I work alongside the inventor of the original Flynn Resuscitator, which he sold off years ago.

(Pledge) Although we now design "stuff" that is used around the world, I hereby swear that this forum will not be used to promote or advertise any product that I have financial interest in. That being said, I may ask about certain products that are emerging on the market (for example, prehospital CPAP is only now being explored by the EMS community in Canada, and I am very, very intersted in seeing that take off). I will also pipe in if anyone has specific concerns about oxygen therapy or ventilation.

I hope this relationship is a fruitful one.

Cheers.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Never did introduce myself. Funny That.

Lets see, I am 23 going on 50, I am a Licensed Paramedic for a large IFT/911/Flight EMS company in Dallas/Fort Worth (yes Linuss I KNOW, but I can't say it out loud), Ive been an EMT-B since I was 18, took the class at 17 in high school. Have been a part-time firefighter since I was 18 as well, while going through college, got a BS in Public Admin and went straight into medic school. Just working and looking to go into either 911 EMS full time or get on full time as a firemedic. The plan is to move to the NY/CT area by the end of next year so I will probably end up working as a medic in one of those two states. I would list my alphabet soup, but I for the life of me cannot remember all the certs/courses I've taken so far.

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
Another EMS newbie here ...from EMR To EMT to...?

Thanks to google I came across this web site and thought I'll join in the fun and see if I can get advice, give my two cents, just plain read posts and keep myself up to date or maybe even build up a connection to someone.

I'm Markus, I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area. Three weeks ago I finished my pre-req for the EMT-B class at a local community college. Took the "Emergency Medical Responder" Class at the American Red Cross. Pretty intense, learning all the good stuff in just 4 weeks or 12 class sessions, but went all well and got my certifications. Am curious as to see what is missing as the instructor at the end mentioned only briefly that since 01/11 CA regulations and training regarding EMR got even more detailed and it's just a few things missing in order to be prepared for the EMT certifications.

What else is there interesting about me? Hmmm I don't know - I volunteer at the local American Red Cross chapter - part of the Disaster Action Team and heading out as a technician to disasters and relief people from them as well as do the follow-up in the office as a caseworker in Family Services.
As a total opposite - and recommended by anyone who's daily routine is EMS - I enjoy photography - urbanscapes, landscapes and recently got more and more into documenting stage events, portraiture.

Looking forward to be a valuable member of this site and EMS system.

Markus

NREMTPTEACHER2BE

Forum Ride Along
im jason, i live in lynchburg va too! been an emt-b for a while, starting enhan. program. currently go to jefferson college of health sciences .. planning on getting my nremtp and teaching. cuz.. I LOVE THIS STUFF :) Was a contract medic for randolph college for a while and have done volunteer work here and there. busy life, but i think ems is a vital chain in health care and i think more folks should be involved in some way

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
im jason, i live in lynchburg va too! been an emt-b for a while, starting enhan. program. currently go to jefferson college of health sciences .. planning on getting my nremtp and teaching. cuz.. I LOVE THIS STUFF :) Was a contract medic for randolph college for a while and have done volunteer work here and there. busy life, but i think ems is a vital chain in health care and i think more folks should be involved in some way

Hi Jason.

Chrissy1

Forum Probie
Well I am Christine and I am a basic right now but I am going to school to become an intermediate. I am a volunteer for right now because no one will hire under 21 because of liability insurance. Anyway if you wanna know anything just ask :)