The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Two-Timer

Forum Probie

Hello to all.

Back in EMS for ten years for a second run at it- thus "Two-Timer".

Went from First Aid to Medic at the end of the 70's then got away from it in the early eighties. College, work in psych hospitals and non-profits, family stuff. Years passed but every other work was second-best to EMS.

Since coming back I have spent a lot of time in the burn-out mill of personalities and politics by serving on Boards, as an officer and by organizing mandated training. Many years spent working with truly crazy people helps me keep perspective and keep focused on giving good patient care. EMS is my full-time "job" and I am presently an Intermediate for a small service in central New England (4000+calls/7 ambulances). I would like to leave the politics behind and practice as a Medic again while I still can. In my spare time I am also an interior-FF with the volunteer department my father and grandfather belonged to. As long as I can be useful I am not leaving EMS again.

Glad to find this forum. Looks like there is a huge amount I can learn here.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome!

I'm looking forward to your perspective from inside the Monkey House. Who were we then? Who are we now? A very worthwhile exploration.

Enjoy!

Two-Timer

Forum Probie
We are the same people now we were then. Can't eat lunch without discussing gore, often understand our partners at work better than our partners at home and have a very twisted view of what makes a good day. Seriously though, the best in EMS have not changed- most still "do what is in the patient's best interest-always." Even for a frequent flyer at 0230 or that one pt. who just pushes all our buttons. It is the world that changed--"homeland security", "risk management," "evidence-based medicine," payment-focused practice and layers and layers of good ole' cover your "exposure". This new world is, however, a great place to learn how to train bean-counters while slowly driving them mad. On the plus side, Medics in my area have standing orders and protocols I would have killed for and toys I did not imagine. I do miss cravats though.

AdventEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hi all!

I'm Joseph, just got into my first EMT class and, after I become certified, can't wait to get a job as an EMT!!! I hope that I can, I see a great future in the direction I am going

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I've been prowling around for some time, reading advices and discussions... Nervously waiting end of my classes in March, I thought it is time for me to introduce myself to join in "full time". This place has so much to offer and I couldn't be happier then to be here. I hope I will be able to contribute something worthwhile.

I am finishing the EMT-B course in NYC, trying to do late carrier switch from the graphic design... Originally I am from Bosnia. I was medic in the war for some time and my experience coming mostly from that period and war trauma wounds. Being wounded myself couple of times, I can know help and comfort medic can provide.

I can only hope that I get to be that helpful to someone in need. Thank you for the great place!

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
First, welcome to EMTLife!

Reply to this thread with a brief introduction so that we can learn a little about you. We hope you stick around for a while and contribute to our community.

Thanks!

Ok....well, hello. I just completed a WEMT/MPIC course, and am preparing to sit for the NREMT (this part of the forum has been terrific btw). For years I worked for corporate Amer, but always had an interest in emergency and health. So here I am now, and I love the field! I have been involved in SAR, disaster response, and humanitarian efforts for the past 5 or so years. Also worked trailcrew in Alaska for a bit. Now I am a CPR / FA/ HIV Prevention / WFA instructor, Red Cross certified. Thanks for hosting this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunbee

Forum Probie
Hello Everyone,

I'm still a newbie EMT, been working part-time for 6 months now in LA county for BLS ambulance company. I enjoy working as a EMT but still find lifting difficult but I'm trying my best. Thanks to the EMS field, I just got accepted to PA school. I learned the good and bad about this field but I have soooo much respect for EMTs now, they rock!! Good luck to everyone out there and be safe :)

Just Ed

Forum Ride Along
I'm Ed.

I used to be a CT back in the '90s, but got out of the field for a while. I just recently decided to pursue Paramedic again to finish what I started many years ago, and that requires starting over again. A career change at 34 with 4 kids can be kind of scary, but my wife is committed to support me and I'm confident that I will reach my goals.

I'm taking my prerequisites to start the Paramedic program at our local community college in the fall.

Nice to meet y'all and I look forward to learning alot here.

Ed

joliver18

Forum Ride Along
My name is Jay and im 18 and im an FF/EMT-B. Im an intern at the Blooming Grove Fire Department. I live in wisconsin.I also work for the Town Of Madison Fire Department for ems since they also do our ems for Blooming Grove. I havent been in the fire/ems service very long but i love it. I will hopefully be taking paramedic in the fall and after my internship I would like to get a job as an FireFighter or Paramedic or both somewhere out west like arizona or california.

sparklylikeaholiday

Forum Ride Along
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Hi, I'm new! :)

I work in administration for the Fire Department and am a fresh brand spanking new EMT-B and am planning to volunteer in my local community (separate affiliation from my work station).

I'm a single mom, been with the FD for 2 years and am looking forward to learning a lot here. :)

S.

MedicSparky

Forum Probie
Hey there, Just got my state and NREMT certifications a couple weeks ago. I'm still looking for a job in the Central Florida area, everything seems to require Medic or FF training. I'm thinking of going Airforce Pararescue, especially if there's nothing around here.

I've lurked a while before joining and finally decided to at least post here.

As for the name: I plan to be a Paramedic/FF asap if I can get into the civilian side of things. If not, Pararescue are medics. Either way Paramedic is the goal.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi, a small bio...British, living in Florida. Originally started training as a nurse back in the 90's in the UK. Now due to start paramedic training next week (3/15/10).

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Hi, My name is Tiffany, im currently working on my NREMT-B cert and BSN-RN :(... im nuts i know LOL, but i love working with patients and helping them :O)

ZombiEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a few days and decided to introduce myself. I'm turning 25 this year and finished my EMT course last fall (top of the class!) I was certified as a EMT-B in Santa Clara County, CA in January of this year. Been looking for a job ever since (anyone have any leads? :D) I plan on working as an EMT for a bit before applying to paramedic school. My ultimate goal is to eventually get hired into a fire department as a fire medic.

This looks like an awesome forum; looking forward to meeting some great people and learning from some of the vets!

NERDulance

Forum Probie
Who wants to ride the NERDulance??

Okay so maybe not ride per se... :p

Hey everybody! Glad to be here.

I am not really an EMT-B just yet, but I will be in July! I am very excited about it and am looking forward to finding some work saving lives either on an Ambulance or in a hospital somewheres.

I live in Louisville, KY and have been here for about 5 years now. Came down here for Seminary, became broke and disenchanted with the idea of seminary and have lived a pretty default life while working for UPS.

Though UPS is a good job and is beneficial to society, I have always been more inclined to help people directly.

I'm a nerd through and through. I play EVE online, read books, play with shotguns, and dream about being a mountain dwelling hermit that tends an awesome garden and eats bears and things. Someday I hope to meet Mrs. NERDulance and live happily ever after.

I'm hoping to learn and laugh with you all and contribute to good discussion. See you around.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I am Brown.

My training includes extensive education in gear carrying, oxygen turning on, wrestling with the stretcher and high viz jacket wearing.

Somebody once told me I know a thing or two about medicine, they crazy.

NERDulance

Forum Probie
I am Brown.

My training includes extensive education in gear carrying, oxygen turning on, wrestling with the stretcher and high viz jacket wearing.

Somebody once told me I know a thing or two about medicine, they crazy.

What can brown do for you?

Brown can give me a raise. (Yes, I work for UPS). B)