The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

rubyfruit17

Forum Ride Along
EMT to be

Hello,
My name is Rebecca, I am 41.
I have been at the same job for 16 years and have always wanted to work on an ambulance or in some sort of helping profession, so it's time for a career change.
I am nearing the end of my EMT class and am hoping to be EMT-B certified by the new year! If not I will keep on until I pass!
I suppose better late then never!

emtzach03

Forum Probie
hello im zach obviously, im from MA and miss it very much but for now im on the other coast. ive been a basic since 03 and have alot of experience to pass on. im not a know it all and if im wrong call me out i love to debate muahhahaha.... thats an evil laugh bye the way. most of my recent training is military im a 68w "combat medic". I have learned alot about trauma but the real danger is medical emergencies i truly believe that. you can knock AMR all you want but doing as many transfers as i have you get to see the whole picture of what the sick truely look like even if they are feeling good. well thats enough for here please send me any pms you would like. iam very sarcastic so i apoligaze in advance i truelly do not ever intend to offend and ps if you live in western wa and no of any good bars please let me know:unsure:

Piper76

Forum Probie
The Proverbial "Hello"

Hi,

I am about to begin an EMT-B program and while perusing the internet for information, stumbled across this forum :)

I am 33 yr old geologist looking to fulfill a lifelong dream of becoming a fire fighter and am taking matters into my own hands by doing the EMT-B class on my own prior to applying for fire fighter positions. I plan on continuing on and obtaining EMT-P as well. I am looking forward to the path ahead!

texasbred

Forum Ride Along
Hello, my name is Dustin Markham.
I am 26, I start EMT-b in August. This is something I have wanted to do for years. I have just never had the right kind of job to support classes until now.
I served four years in the Army 2 active and 2 reserve where I was a mechanic.
I'm married and have two kids. I paid for my wife's college and now its time for the Army to pay for mine. If my Army re-enlistment doesn't go through then this will eventually be my full time career.

ParamedicJay

Forum Ride Along
Newbie to thread

Hey! I am a 22 yo m and still kind of new to ems. I currently work as a paramedic for a private ambulance service that does emergency calls and non-emergency transports! The company is 30 min outside of cleveland,OH and is a decent sized urban city. I also worked as an emt-b vollie for coulmbia fire department also in ohio. I however dont vollie any more but did so for about a year and have worked at my current medic job for 7 months so like I said im still very new to the field. Someone once told me it takes 5 years to become a halfway decent medic and i would have to agree. I love ems I have a very fun and enjoyable time doing it and hope to continue to do so for a long time. In the near future I will be starting the fire academy and one day make it on a FT department! That is my ultimate goal in life!

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, everyone!

Student here. I'm halfway through my EMT-IV class as it's called here. I'm 25 and have a degree in Criminal Justice from UT Chattanooga. Never could seem to get anything going with that, so I've decided to go into another branch of public service. So far I've only got a single live stick and clinical under my belt, but I'm loving every minute of it and always looking for more opportunities to learn. That's mainly why I'm here.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found the place, and after I've gone through my traditional lurking, I hope to have something to contribute!

n_shapley

Forum Ride Along
Hello all!

Hi, my name is Nichole, I am 30 years old and live in a small town in southwest Arkansas. I have bought a wonderful husband who puts up with my crazy goals and dreams ( and my need for adventure ;).

I am a licensed CNA and was attending college for pre-med. I decided I needed more adventure in my life so I have changed my major to AAS in paramedics. I begin EMT-B classes on January 11 2010. I already have all the prereqs. for the AAS, due to the premed classes I've had.

I am looking forward to meeting you all, and of course seeking out advice from the people who have been there.

My goal is a one or the other type thing, I am somewhat undecided, I either want to fly or work in a tactical unit.

Nice to meet you all!

Nichole

buttonz

Forum Ride Along
*waves hi*

I'm 25, female from NYC considering an EMT-B class so I can work a few shifts and make some money while taking my pre-reqs and in nursing school.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys! My name is Dan and I'm a 26 year old, newly certified EMT-B. This message board has been extreemly helpful in answering many of my questions so I thought I'd join now that I have my cert. I am searching for a job and eager to start my new career as an EMS professional.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Hello!

I am a high-school student, with first responder training through Boy Scouts. I am applying to work with my local volunteer Fire/Rescue squad come July, and I want to be as prepared as possible. I know that reading can only go so far, but I want to do the best job I can (and people don't just keel over on the street much.)

vmbowers

Forum Ride Along
Nremt

Hey Everyone...

I am 43 years old and have decided to make a leap in to the EMS field just recently. I have finished my course and took the NREMT test and failed. I passed the class with honors and felt I was completely ready for this test. Does anyone have any advice for trying to pass the second go around of this test, besides studying....:0). I have studied until I felt there was nothing more to study, passed the class with honors and am dumb founded as to what needs to change in my study habits. I took the test sicker than a dog and was running a fever. I am hoping this is why I didn't pass and why I was not comprehending the questions.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer at this point. I want to be sure I pass the 2nd time around.

Thanks in advance and am glad to be part of this forum.

thowle

Forum Crew Member
Hey Everyone...

I am 43 years old and have decided to make a leap in to the EMS field just recently. I have finished my course and took the NREMT test and failed. I passed the class with honors and felt I was completely ready for this test. Does anyone have any advice for trying to pass the second go around of this test, besides studying....:0). I have studied until I felt there was nothing more to study, passed the class with honors and am dumb founded as to what needs to change in my study habits. I took the test sicker than a dog and was running a fever. I am hoping this is why I didn't pass and why I was not comprehending the questions.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer at this point. I want to be sure I pass the 2nd time around.

Thanks in advance and am glad to be part of this forum.

Did the NREMT TRS not give you subject matter in-which likely casued your failure? Check your e-mail from the NREMT, as there should be a category listing with your percentile rating, thus allowing you to know what to study.

Overall, don't read too much into the questions the NREMT throws at you. Take them for face value, and remember ABC's in that order -- always.

vmbowers

Forum Ride Along
Yes they did and funny enough, the areas I did not pass were the areas that I was strongest at in class. I know my book material like the back of my hand...or so I thought by testing and doing 96% on all in class. I am analytical so possible I was reading too much in to the questions. ABC's always first, followed that rule. I think that may have not been the best in some of the trauma areas.

In any event, thank you for the feedback and I will continue on my studying and hope to do better on the next one.

thowle

Forum Crew Member
ABC's always first, followed that rule. I think that may have not been the best in some of the trauma areas.

Not really sure... but, I would say under Trauma or Medical that ABC's should be followed.

Your circulation (c) of blood isn't worth much if you aren't breating (b) and actively exchanging oxygen; and you can't breath or exchange oxygen if you don't have a patent airway (a).

Which means, under any situation you need an Airway to Breath, and you need to Breath to exchange gases and provide nutrients and oxygen during Circulation.

vmbowers

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, I agree and that is how we were taught. Always ABC's first.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate this forum.

thowle

Forum Crew Member
And, with all of this being said... and taking into consideration what you stated about Trauma; if you have a question that reads "... patient with a amputated arm, profuse bleeding (although, probably highly unlikely) and a closed facture of thefemur..." with choices such as:

a) Control the bleeding from the amputation
b) Begin intervention of traction splinting the femur
c) Make sure the patient can and is breathing
d) Place the patient on oxygen

What would be the right answer? Okay... let me re-phrase that, what is the more-right answer?

Of course, controlling the bleeding is good.. you don't want them to lose high amounts of blood otherwise no matter how much they are exchanging oxygen, it's not going to get where it needs to be effectively, but right now we aren't that worried about it.

We don't know what we see.. the question doesn't give us as much of an impression of the situation and patient as we would have if we were to actually physically be there, so we have to think logic..

Traction splint is good.. of course, this is another point of the patient losing fluids, as we all know femur fractures can also have profuse bleeding.. but, again.. we're not too worried about this right now, with us not knowing the rest of the situation.

Make sure the patient has an airway and is breathing -- that's a good start.. since we don't know exactly what the NREMT question writter is thinking, we don't know if the patient is already breathing.. we just know what we read.. which most likely gives us a impression of a breathing patient who is just bleeding.. but that might not be all that is wrong with the patient.

vmbowers

Forum Ride Along
Ok, that sounds about how the questions were. Airway would be what I would have chosen. Without breathing, nothing else really matters...right?...

I think I am over thinking these because I remember on several questions I said to my self..."what is this and what is that...how can I know what answer it is without knowing the entire situation". I think this is what is happening, possibly. I am going to slow on the studying as I am re-reading stuff that I have read a hundred times. I know this stuff.

Thanks again for the support. I will re-post when I have taken the test again.

Sunday

Forum Probie
newbee

hey everyone my name is sunday, im 26, been an EMT for 5 years now, when im on days off i enjoy riding my quad, and flying. oh and my girlfriend lol im from saskatchewan canada

nwiemt

Forum Ride Along
Hello all. I am new to the forum, been an emt for about a year now, start medic school in the summer. I am 25 and live in indiana. Look forward to participating.