The Crackhead with Chest Pain

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And again, instead of addressing the OP's question, we deteriorate into the same old rhetoric.

Could it be because it is an issue? It is the root of many problems in EMS and ignoring it will not make it go away.

It is an issue that we still even differentiate between ALS and BLS in a "profession" that is now over 40 years old. It does little to provide equal, efficient and effective patient care in 911 services. But, some just can not move forward to accept change and growth or see the limitations of their own title.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Could it be because it is an issue? It is the root of many problems in EMS and ignoring it will not make it go away.

It is an issue that we still even differentiate between ALS and BLS in a "profession" that is now over 40 years old. It does little to provide equal, efficient and effective patient care in 911 services. But, some just can not move forward to accept change and growth or see the limitations of their own title.

Sure, its a problem, so is global warming and the economy. But when every thread brings out the same tired old comments with no new information, no new possible solutions and no comment on what the OP was asking about.. it gets tired.. so I comment on the tiredness of it all.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sure, its a problem, so is global warming and the economy. But when every thread brings out the same tired old comments with no new information, no new possible solutions and no comment on what the OP was asking about.. it gets tired.. so I comment on the tiredness of it all.

If it's so tired, why even comment? All you are doing is further perpetuating the conversation that could have very well died off.

It's tired, but so is the "Should this have been ALS or BLS?", so instead of commenting about how tired it is, why not acknowledge the problem and try to fix it? Then the same old comments wont pop up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If it's so tired, why even comment? All you are doing is further perpetuating the conversation that could have very well died off.

It's tired, but so is the "Should this have been ALS or BLS?", so instead of commenting about how tired it is, why not acknowledge the problem and try to fix it? Then the same old comments wont pop up again.

Yeah.. we've been there... and the comments continue.. check the forum.. how many threads turn into the same old crap? I have personally appointed myself the reminderer... address the question asked.. if you want to expound on the deficits in EMS education.. start a thread on it or contribute to one of the thousands here.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah.. we've been there... and the comments continue.. check the forum.. how many threads turn into the same old crap? I have personally appointed myself the reminderer... address the question asked.. if you want to expound on the deficits in EMS education.. start a thread on it or contribute to one of the thousands here.

Did you address the question asked in your post on this thread? Nope, all you succeeded in doing is possibly start an argument.

Pot meet Kettle. Hi Kettle!

VentMedic

Forum Chief

This is not a forum about global warming. It is about EMS.

It also gets tiring to hear the same justifications and excuses from those that perceive their education/training is more than it actually is.

Right now in this country it takes only a few hundred hours to become a Paramedic. It takes less hours to become a Paramedic than it does a Beautician or Massage Therapist. Yet, when you look at the numbers, not that many in EMS are even willing to spend this little time to advance from EMT-B. Instead they continue to attempt to justify their level of patient care in providing emergency medical services. While their title may say Emergency Medical Technician, their training and education are obviously very limited.

What does that say about this profession and the people it attracts when so few are willing to put forth enough effort to get a few hundred hours of education/training to be able to assess and provide care at an advanced level? And then, some want those who have gone on to advance their education to think in "BLS" terms even with many attempts to explain there is much more to medicine than what the EMT-B program teaches.

The excuses some make on these forums for not furthering their education sound like what you would hear in an AA or NA meeting. Actually, those in AA or NA may have more valid excuses for how they have chosen to live their lives and are taking the necessary steps to improve. However, when it comes to dealing with patient care and the lives of others, the excuses made by EMS agencies and some providers for not advancing should no longer be acceptable.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Knock it off and stay on topic.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Trying to prove a fellow crew wrong. Dispatched for chest pain. You arrive to find one female patient A&Ox3 c/o chest pain & SOB. One can clearly see something more is at play. Patient admits to using cocaine, drinking alcohol and doing taking other medication such as percocet. Patient denies any history. Patient B/P is 150/120. No medics available. Crew responding said “even if there was ALS around the corner, he would cancel them because it’s a bull**** call”. Do you agree or disagree? Note* 1) Cocaine is proven for potential to cause M.I. due to arterial spasm, one of the symptoms being elevated B/P.

120 diastolic is alone enough to call ALS, but combined with chest pain should w/o question include ALS.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There is nothing to answer. The poster decided to answer the question themselves. First, the most approppirate unit should had been dispatch. Better screening of calls.

sarcastic.png

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
This is definitely an ALS run in my book. Don't know what happened exactly but is there a protocol or standing order for a Paramedic intercept while they were enroute to the hospital? It's hard to believe that there are services out there that don't have at least 1 Medic on each truck? I would think that would be a liability issue? We run at least 1 Medic on each truck and many times there are 2.

Some places only offer BLS services there are 2 companies that I know of around me that are like this. There is no problem with not having a medic in my opinion. Yea sure you can't do IVs (at least not in pa) but at least there is some sort of amulance personnel.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Some places only offer BLS services there are 2 companies that I know of around me that are like this. There is no problem with not having a medic in my opinion. Yea sure you can't do IVs (at least not in pa) but at least there is some sort of amulance personnel.

the patient's condition indicates administering medications in a system where ALS is available with such meds.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yea sure you can't do IVs (at least not in pa) but at least there is some sort of amulance personnel.

Do you really think IVs are all medics do different from a basic?

MJordan2121

Forum Crew Member
OMG! Where do all these dumb basics come from? I feel like my IQ gets higher each day. I would've had an ALS unit there pronto. I may be a basic myself, but I take my job seriously and treat every patient with the utmost respect and of the highest priority. Even if an ALS unit wasn't available, I would load the pt and get to the hospital stat.
You know..the other day, we had a call for a pt w/ a severe headache and things did not seem right. Elevated B/P, sudden onset of severe head pain, hx of dormant aneurysm. We went Priority 1 to the hospital after my partner established the IV and I hooked her up to the monitor, etc..and turned her over to the staff at the hospital. We ended up going on another call and by the time we brought our next pt to the hospital, she coded in the ER and was being intubated..massive brain bleed. Just shows you, never take a call as being "not serious". Every pt deserves the best treatment available.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
Do you really think IVs are all medics do different from a basic?

No, I don't think that is the only difference. I know there is a whole list of them but I couldn't think of the others off the top of my head. Another that I can think of rihgt now is being able to admister meds and also use the monitor to look at the heart rhythm.

the patient's condition indicates administering medications in a system where ALS is available with such meds.

I was just refering to the part that they said they think it is a liability to not have a medic on each truck. He also said that no medics were available at the time. But I do agree that if there was ALS available they should have called for them.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As you said - "no medic availible". So BLS the call.... but that means O2 and diesel. You can't do anything else.

And I think your co-worker, if he/she/it really meant that, is a moron. Of course, it could have been bravado.... but that attitude is asking for trouble.

Sasha

Forum Chief
No, I don't think that is the only difference. I know there is a whole list of them but I couldn't think of the others off the top of my head. Another that I can think of rihgt now is being able to admister meds and also use the monitor to look at the heart rhythm.

There is no problem with not having a medic in my opinion. Yea sure you can't do IVs (at least not in pa) but at least there is some sort of amulance personnel.

If you don't know the scope of a paramedic, how are you possibly able to determine if having them is no big deal or if they're not needed?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
There is no problem with not having a medic in my opinion. Yea sure you can't do IVs (at least not in pa) but at least there is some sort of amulance personnel.

Please elaborate on this further; I am curious to hear why there is no problem with not having a medic on this call. If possible, please collaborate this information with similar input from your medical director.

Secondly, your explanation as to the standard of care of a paramedic is so watered down and minimal that I pity your knowledge of EMS. If you equate medicine to the amount of skills one can do, then you have plenty more to learn about medicine.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
I'm beginning to think the OP may be a troll...

These threads are looking very formulaic

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
Please elaborate on this further; I am curious to hear why there is no problem with not having a medic on this call. If possible, please collaborate this information with similar input from your medical director.

Secondly, your explanation as to the standard of care of a paramedic is so watered down and minimal that I pity your knowledge of EMS. If you equate medicine to the amount of skills one can do, then you have plenty more to learn about medicine.

My bad I had worded that post wrong I meant to say "There is nothing wrong with not having a medic on every ambulance." Don't know if I was tired or what but I will go crawl in my corner for making such a stupid mistake. And I should say that I have alot to learn about EMS since I am fairly new to the field. So please feel free to corrent me and explain things.