the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Had to look that up. An alpha -2 adrenergic receptor agonist. Analogue of clonidine and same class as dexmedetomidine. You have got to be really desperate to get really high to do what these folks did if they did it on purpose. That's like operating room level pharmacy...
It’s the new hotness on the east coast. Most of the street “heroin” is just fentanyl, mixed with xylazine and other adulterants.

It’s straight up badness.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
It’s the new hotness on the east coast. Most of the street “heroin” is just fentanyl, mixed with xylazine and other adulterants.

It’s straight up badness.
Affirm...even if you address the opiate issue, you still have the alpha 2 agonist effects, and if their using a veterinary medicine preparation, all bets are off as to the extent of those effects...you're basically breaking out the epi if it's serious enough. Just speculation...no personal experience with this...

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
About to start a colonoscopy prep drink. Wish me luck.

Edit: good gods, this stuff is not pleasant

Last edited:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
About to start a colonoscopy prep drink. Wish me luck.

Edit: good gods, this stuff is not pleasant
Just bring a good book to read while you sit.

Seirende

I'm pulling an all-nighter because I cannot drink this as fast as the instructions say. Hope the doctor appreciates a citrus-scented colon, because I've been adding straight lemon juice to make it more of a briny lemonade.

Also was joking around in a disability memes social media group and that led to the line "finding a good medical provider as a chronically ill patient is like digging up a treasure chest as a pirate." But like, seriously, every time a medical provider has treated me respectfully and compassionately has stuck with me. I guarantee you guys, if you treat a chronic (physical/mental) illness patient like you care about them, they will still remember that years later. Not just from me, but listening to other people's stories.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Affirm...even if you address the opiate issue, you still have the alpha 2 agonist effects, and if their using a veterinary medicine preparation, all bets are off as to the extent of those effects...you're basically breaking out the epi if it's serious enough. Just speculation...no personal experience with this...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got some tickets to our first minor league ballgame. Not gonna lie, pretty excited to check it out, ballpark and all. Feels like real Summer Americana.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Got some tickets to our first minor league ballgame. Not gonna lie, pretty excited to check it out, ballpark and all. Feels like real Summer Americana.
Was really disappointed when MLB cut back on the number of minor league teams each franchise had. A lot of small town America lost access to watching the American Game in person.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Was really disappointed when MLB cut back on the number of minor league teams each franchise had. A lot of small town America lost access to watching the American Game in person.
I hear that. We’re trying to give our kids the best of both worlds since we’re smack dab in the middle of a major metropolis and “middle” America.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Good news- Dad is discharged and flying home tomorrow evening. Diagnosis was acute tubular necrosis resulting in AKI and ARF, likely secondary to dehydration and a UTI. Diabetes didn’t help.

Seirende

Good news- Dad is discharged and flying home tomorrow evening. Diagnosis was acute tubular necrosis resulting in AKI and ARF, likely secondary to dehydration and a UTI. Diabetes didn’t help.

Glad to hear it. Was the renal failure reversible?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Are any of you *very* familiar with California's Title 22? Specifically, how it relates to Federal properties?

Interesting situation. A friend at a DoD facility said that they want to use DoD protocols but the local LEMSA is telling them that they cannot, and they have to use *their* protocols instead. This is confusing, and I have been unable to find solid answers as to how a local county agency can tell a Federal installation that they have to use local protocols.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well we got called to the local National Guard Armory for a guy who became a heat casualty (temporal thermometer read 107°....) and no one questioned us following our normal local protocols...

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Well we got called to the local National Guard Armory for a guy who became a heat casualty (temporal thermometer read 107°....) and no one questioned us following our normal local protocols...

It shouldn't be an issue, true, but for some reason it is. California is ... different. There are very few facilities that could/would even have this issue, and the guidance from the state has been to defer to the local Ems authority. (California has a patchwork of systems.)

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was a Reserve, I followed DoD EMS policy, not CA as it was FED (that’s how as an IDC I was able to Dx, Tx, and Rx my patients, under SO and my PA review).

FED may have defaulted to T22 to just avoid arguments like “why did this EMTB start an IV…”

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
When I was a Reserve, I followed DoD EMS policy, not CA as it was FED (that’s how as an IDC I was able to Dx, Tx, and Rx my patients, under SO and my PA review).

FED may have defaulted to T22 to just avoid arguments like “why did this EMTB start an IV…”

That is how it's starting to sound. They leaned on this document: https://emsa.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/2017/10/Mutual-Aid2018.pdf

but the way that reads, the mutual aid guidelines are for irregular/disaster operations and not a fixed base that's been there since WW2. It sounds like things would be fine if the "local medical director" (the guy at the LEMSA) signs off on an agreement. Maybe. It's confusing, to say the least. So many county by county systems!

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
That is how it's starting to sound. They leaned on this document: https://emsa.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/71/2017/10/Mutual-Aid2018.pdf

but the way that reads, the mutual aid guidelines are for irregular/disaster operations and not a fixed base that's been there since WW2. It sounds like things would be fine if the "local medical director" (the guy at the LEMSA) signs off on an agreement. Maybe. It's confusing, to say the least. So many county by county systems!
Yep. Seems the LEMSA wants to be in charge and it’s defaulting to “what I say”.

Good luck with this. DoD should run it if it’s on DoD property. Same with Security/Policing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Yep. Seems the LEMSA wants to be in charge and it’s defaulting to “what I say”.

Good luck with this. DoD should run it if it’s on DoD property. Same with Security/Policing.
Ageed. Does make me curious as to why California thinks they have jurisdiction on federal property, though.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Nothing quite like grilling some pork tenderloins in Florida.

Attachments

• Image_20230618_1051268699043292484132563.jpg
    Image_20230618_1051268699043292484132563.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 52