the 100% directionless thread

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Had to turn down a job that wanted to pay me $70/hr... fully remote... if only it was a full time and benefitted position instead of a contract...

irescueu

Forum Ride Along
Ambulnz is gone in LA. LACoEMS sent out notice of their shut down effective January 31.

1675374806156.png

irescueu

Forum Ride Along
Mission Ambulance (Riverside Co.) sent out layoff notices to their entire staff dated January 26. They shut down April 1.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Thats it? I gave up and just bought a new bike. Parting out for MTB is sooo much more expensive. but the build is fun.
I have an expensive mortgage payment 😅

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I just bought an eBike and it’s an absolute blast. I never thought I’d be into it, but it’s great.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I just bought an eBike and it’s an absolute blast. I never thought I’d be into it, but it’s great.

I won my eBike in a raffle. Its a "mountain" bike made for hunting, but it rips on the trails. Loads of fun.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
XFL tickets for 2/19 secured. Go Brahmas!

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I gather the Superb Owl party went off as planned?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We just did our Dept required (in service) AHA BLS CPR recert. So of course a few hours later in shift we get a reported Cardiac Arrest call.
At the airport.
So cue our Engine PLUS Airport Fire and Medical (I honestly don't know why if ARFF is dispatched, why we go as well, we're both BLS...) and since our EMS service was tied up, they dispatched a Fed Fire ambulance from one of the nearby Military bases (which of course they don't care, they *always* send an Engine with their ambulance even on these Mutual Aid calls...)

But before this ClusterF.... of 3 different agencies all actually show up... we arrive at the service entrance (like to get to the Gate side) and Security nonchalantly tells us "Oh yeah, they cancelled everyone". Call our Dispatch who has to talk to EMS Dispatch and sure enough a few minutes later of the telephone game, "Yup, Engine 8 you can cancel, services no longer needed"

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Good on the Dialysis center which noticed one of their patients had missed like 3 or 4 appointments in a row, and they called to check up on him. Which lead to PD doing a Welfare check... which lead to us breaking out the BVM because he was unconscious/unresponsive and breathing at like 40 breaths/min shallow and unable to get any Pulse Ox initially (well we put on an NRB at first while initially assessing, broke out the bag when it finally came up with a Sat in the 70s).

(Also got to break out the Irons and play Mongo Fireman and break down the door lol) EMS Medic also got to practice his PATI skills (local term for RSI)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Good on the Dialysis center which noticed one of their patients had missed like 3 or 4 appointments in a row, and they called to check up on him. Which lead to PD doing a Welfare check... which lead to us breaking out the BVM because he was unconscious/unresponsive and breathing at like 40 breaths/min shallow and unable to get any Pulse Ox initially (well we put on an NRB at first while initially assessing, broke out the bag when it finally came up with a Sat in the 70s).

(Also got to break out the Irons and play Mongo Fireman and break down the door lol) EMS Medic also got to practice his PATI skills (local term for RSI)
These are the sickest patients I ever manage. Poor kidney care wrecks everything.

Completely lacking any other info here so for sure the potassium could be relatively normal, but hopefully this RSI was done without succinylcholine.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just got my annual bonus (my first time in the private sector, as I had previously only worked for non-profits). and 1/3 of it is going to be spent of work-related exams that will hopefully help advance my career (CISM and maybe CRISC for those who are curious).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
A deadly ambulance fire in Kailua from August 2022 started from a portable oxygen tank that could have been contaminated, officials announced Wednesday.

Wilkinson told investigators he was using a breathing machine known as a CPAP that was connected to a main oxygen tank plugged into the ambulance wall. As the crew pulled into Adventist Health Castle Hospital, Wilkinson disconnected the device to plug it into a portable oxygen tank. That's when there was a pop noise and the fire started.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Someone I know on a contract gig said that they got a decent raise. About a $13/hr raise. Sounds great! They were doing 48 hour shifts. *were.* Now they're doing 36 hour shifts instead, so no more overtime. Sad trombone? I haven't done the math and I don't know all of the details but that doesn't sound too bad. sounds like it would keep the take home pay around the same but allow for a bit more of a life outside work.
That's how some of the hospital gigs are. 3 x 12 shifts. some are "100%" which is 3 x 12 with 1 x 8 every 2 weeks.

Rumors are my job is talking about pay rate increases as well. That would be nice.

M3dicalR3dn3ck

Idolizes Johnny and Roy
I had this conversation with a patient and her caregiver on the call we just returned from:

Caregiver (to me and my paramedic): "Dang, y'all really have her strapped in!"
Me (to caregiver): "I try to drive smooth, though results vary, but some othe—"
Patient (to me): "Well if it makes me feel better, YOU'RE CUTE!"

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So we're due to get a new set of auto extrication tools, so we spent a few hours this morning down at the Training Center cutting up a couple cars with them...

Now this was just on one of the Cops clones (On Patrol something or other?) TV shows, but they have a segment where the cops are dealing with something and an accident just happens to occur right next to them. SUV flips over on its side... and the officers drag one of the victims out (by their armpits) through the open sunroof...

Just that moment of reflection like "Man we spend all this training on proper stabilization and extrication, and these guys practically just yoinked the Pt out with absolutely none of that...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
So we're due to get a new set of auto extrication tools, so we spent a few hours this morning down at the Training Center cutting up a couple cars with them...

Now this was just on one of the Cops clones (On Patrol something or other?) TV shows, but they have a segment where the cops are dealing with something and an accident just happens to occur right next to them. SUV flips over on its side... and the officers drag one of the victims out (by their armpits) through the open sunroof...

Just that moment of reflection like "Man we spend all this training on proper stabilization and extrication, and these guys practically just yoinked the Pt out with absolutely none of that...
You guys just like playing with toys 😂

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I just got headhunted for an absolutely awesome job. As an educator and ops guy, it's really my dream job.

"I've been following your page, I've seen you speak at a couple of conferences, and everyone I talk to says you're the guy I need for this job."

Apparently, doing all that brand building DOES pay off. :)

Now, to convince the wife that we need to move... fingers crossed.