the 100% directionless thread

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Reminder that sleeping is socially constructed

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That ever so slightly awkward moment when I pull into my apt building and there's an ambulance parked in the loading area... not so much entirely out of the ordinary, so much as they were deconning their gear... specifically the LUCAS device... :/

And since I was parking in the loading area to grab my gear (I was working different station last shift) and was walking back to my truck with my uniforms and stuff and said Hi to the guys who did confirm that yup, they had a code :/

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I got a speeding ticket for going 35 mph in a 20 mph zone part of a really long highway that I was on for 200 miles pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Highway 400 in Kansas. Like I knew I was driving through a city with lights so I slowed down, but didn't realize the speed limit was 20. Turned out it was a school zone. I was shocked when I was pulled over. I'm always the one in my family getting weird tickets. Frustrates me when stuff like that happens. Kinda wish I was wearing my paramedic stuff to see if he'd let me off the hook, lol. I had taken it off and put it in my suitcase since I had no plans to wear it at the airport, lol. Police officer was nice to me, but still angry I got a ticket.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I got a speeding ticket for going 35 mph in a 20 mph zone part of a really long highway that I was on for 200 miles pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Highway 400 in Kansas. Turned out it was a school zone. I was shocked when I was pulled over. I'm always the one in my family getting weird tickets. Frustrates me when stuff like that happens.
I've ran that entire highway and there are a of those traps on it.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've ran that entire highway and there are a of those traps on it.
That's how I felt about it. I didn't try to argue or anything. Just told him I was on my way to the airport and I was unfamiliar with the area, sorry. I was very tempted to say "Just got off my paramedic job and heading to the airport", but I felt that was kind of a punk move. Could've saved me $240 and a point on my license maybe? Whatever. Just gonna be more careful about those traps next time.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I got a speeding ticket for going 35 mph in a 20 mph zone part of a really long highway that I was on for 200 miles pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Highway 400 in Kansas. Like I knew I was driving through a city with lights so I slowed down, but didn't realize the speed limit was 20. Turned out it was a school zone. I was shocked when I was pulled over. I'm always the one in my family getting weird tickets. Frustrates me when stuff like that happens. Kinda wish I was wearing my paramedic stuff to see if he'd let me off the hook, lol. I had taken it off and put it in my suitcase since I had no plans to wear it at the airport, lol. Police officer was nice to me, but still angry I got a ticket.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

But with that said I know plenty of places where cops sit where the speed limit changes. Sneaky sneaky.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Never.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Every one of us gets his turn. Think of all those times you got away with it…
I did... once. But I was going to work, was in my scrubs, I was armed, and had my CCW license... and it was out in the middle of nowhere. To this day I'm still not sure exactly how fast I was going, but it was probably well-north of 70 MPH (speed limit in that area). Got a warning, no ticket. I was completely shocked I didn't get a ticket and I didn't ask for any favors.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've been pulled over for was a broken license plate light too. :/ To be honest, I feel like when people see me, they see an easy target.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
<venting>So my apartment building has a mail cage for oversize packages that don't fit in our mail box. To prevent it from getting completely overcrowded they have a policy that anything left for 48 hours will be returned to sender.

Of course I get a package in during shift, and then end up working a holdover today, so I'm getting home after 36 hours at work (and tomorrow morning I'm back at shift). So needless I'm very vested in getting into the cage tonight. No big deal, after hours, building policy is to call Security and they'll open it up for you. Policy allows you to call 24/7, and this isn't the first time I'm trying to call after getting home after a 36hr. I've never once had an issue. Until tonight.

Security answers, I say I have a package slip, and they reply they can't hear me. Huh. Ok maybe it's something silly like my mask or the concrete corridor echoing or whatev. I speak up, I go outside and take off my mask... still can't hear me. They hang up. I try again, they say again they can't hear me, and hang up.

Rinse, wash, repeat, like 6 times in 10 minutes. I try texting their number (I know it goes to a cell phone the Security guard keeps on them while they do their rounds). Wait out front a few minutes hoping they come by. Nothing. Call again, same thing "Can't hear you, click".

Ok I get odd tech issues, so I knock on the door to their little office, nothing, try going around to find him, can't find him. When I parked like 15 min before all this I saw him doing his rounds in the parking garage so I check all 5 levels of the garage, around the outside of the building, cannot find them. Finally use the Entercom buzzer and get ahold of them.

I gotta say, it's a good thing I was only after a minor thing like a dang Amazon package. Imagine if I had a legit issue that needed Security? I would have thought that a Security guard seeing a phone number call them multiple times in a short period maybe might think to at the very least make a quick round of the common areas. Maybe say something instead of just "I can't hear you" and hanging up say "I can't hear you, can you go to the main entrance and I'll meet you there?"

Idk, something, because I get the feeling if I hadn't gotten ahold of him, the Security guy would have been totally content to ignore the weird calls and keep hanging out wherever the heck it was they were hanging out....
</venting>

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
<venting>So my apartment building has a mail cage for oversize packages that don't fit in our mail box. To prevent it from getting completely overcrowded they have a policy that anything left for 48 hours will be returned to sender.

Of course I get a package in during shift, and then end up working a holdover today, so I'm getting home after 36 hours at work (and tomorrow morning I'm back at shift). So needless I'm very vested in getting into the cage tonight. No big deal, after hours, building policy is to call Security and they'll open it up for you. Policy allows you to call 24/7, and this isn't the first time I'm trying to call after getting home after a 36hr. I've never once had an issue. Until tonight.

Security answers, I say I have a package slip, and they reply they can't hear me. Huh. Ok maybe it's something silly like my mask or the concrete corridor echoing or whatev. I speak up, I go outside and take off my mask... still can't hear me. They hang up. I try again, they say again they can't hear me, and hang up.

Rinse, wash, repeat, like 6 times in 10 minutes. I try texting their number (I know it goes to a cell phone the Security guard keeps on them while they do their rounds). Wait out front a few minutes hoping they come by. Nothing. Call again, same thing "Can't hear you, click".

Ok I get odd tech issues, so I knock on the door to their little office, nothing, try going around to find him, can't find him. When I parked like 15 min before all this I saw him doing his rounds in the parking garage so I check all 5 levels of the garage, around the outside of the building, cannot find them. Finally use the Entercom buzzer and get ahold of them.

I gotta say, it's a good thing I was only after a minor thing like a dang Amazon package. Imagine if I had a legit issue that needed Security? I would have thought that a Security guard seeing a phone number call them multiple times in a short period maybe might think to at the very least make a quick round of the common areas. Maybe say something instead of just "I can't hear you" and hanging up say "I can't hear you, can you go to the main entrance and I'll meet you there?"

Idk, something, because I get the feeling if I hadn't gotten ahold of him, the Security guy would have been totally content to ignore the weird calls and keep hanging out wherever the heck it was they were hanging out....
</venting>
Right.... He "can't hear you". Probably interrupting whatever plans he had going on lol.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

</venting>
I’m hoping you had a nice constructive talk with the building manager today.

CALEMT

Right.... He "can't hear you". Probably interrupting whatever plans he had going on lol.

Couldn't hear him over the sound of him and his bros playing call of duty.

CALEMT

Hit a bird with my mirror the other day driving home going about 75MPH. Think it was an owl or maybe a falcon? Either way it was a big *** bird. Gorilla tape has yet again saved the day. Luckily I can just get the replacement plastic thats broken for $50 vs $700 for a whole mirror.

Attachments

• 66448350890__8037B327-805F-4E99-90B3-3E7C5296F190.JPG
    66448350890__8037B327-805F-4E99-90B3-3E7C5296F190.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 68

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I'm enjoying the critical care class so far but I am also quickly realizing how much stuff I forgot from paramedic school and previous A&P classes. Oh boy. Been trying to refresh my memory as much as I can but there's only so much time in the day and only so much data I can pour into my head.
It's still early on, though, and I'm still enjoying it. At the very least I am learning new material and building blocks on the old material.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
My biofeedback (OT) therapist wanted to put some kinesio tape on my neck/upper back yesterday. I wasn't familiar with the stuff, but I was like, eh, what can a bit of tape hurt. Woke up a couple times that night with pain in my neck/upper back and I very rarely get pain there. In the morning I couldn't turn my head very far to the right and barely at all to the left. My physical therapist (lower back stuff) was kind enough to peel the darn stuff off for me this morning so I didn't have to play contortionist. Never again. Plus I finally Googled it and there's like zero science behind it apparently. Invented by a chiropractor 🙄

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I'm enjoying the critical care class so far but I am also quickly realizing how much stuff I forgot from paramedic school and previous A&P classes. Oh boy. Been trying to refresh my memory as much as I can but there's only so much time in the day and only so much data I can pour into my head.
It's still early on, though, and I'm still enjoying it. At the very least I am learning new material and building blocks on the old material.
You have a DD avatar. Drink Starbucks Venti Dark Roast with 4 shots. Better than crack.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My biofeedback (OT) therapist wanted to put some kinesio tape on my neck/upper back yesterday. I wasn't familiar with the stuff, but I was like, eh, what can a bit of tape hurt. Woke up a couple times that night with pain in my neck/upper back and I very rarely get pain there. In the morning I couldn't turn my head very far to the right and barely at all to the left. My physical therapist (lower back stuff) was kind enough to peel the darn stuff off for me this morning so I didn't have to play contortionist. Never again. Plus I finally Googled it and there's like zero science behind it apparently. Invented by a chiropractor 🙄
Some folks swear by that tape.